PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow! they're eating me out of house and home

Scott E.
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Our two WC common garters have been eating insatiably since we brought them out of brumation. The female is eating 3-4 pinkys every day, the male is eating 2-3 pinkys a day. The female has been bred and should be gravid. They never ate this much last summer. Is this normal for a snake comming out of brumation? Thanks!

Scott E.

guidofatherof5
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
How do the little piggies go! Sounds normal. I have a red-sided radix that simply became a eating machine after coming out of brumation. She's now first out of the hide and last to leave the feeding platform. She is growing like a weed. I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
it's normal for them to have insatiable appetites after brumation... especially gravid females. I would not be feeding the male so much though, he is likely to become obese on a diet like that! feed him smaller meals once every 3 or 4 days. That's all he needs... if the female is gravid, you can offer he small portions every day or every other day, depending on her size, 3 pinkies may be a little much for every day! pinkies are very fattening!