PDA

View Full Version : New vivaria.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

I've just completed the timber work on my set of three new vivaria, and I'd thought I'd share it with you!:D Next step...electrics and vents in the rear walls.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/New_vivaria_stage_1.jpg

They measure 72 inch high (overall), 48 inch wide and 18 inch deep.

Stefan-A
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Looks promising. Did you make it from scratch? Any close-ups? Sliding doors or hinged ones? What kind of heating and lighting solution are you going for?

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes, I made it. No close-ups yet (not much to see!). Sliding glass doors with finger grips ground in. Under floor heating (cable). Broad-spectrum lighting.

mikm
02-28-2007, 09:39 AM
One question ... Could you make one for me James ... please, lol ??? ...

very, VERY NICE !!!

marian

GarterGuy
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Very nice looking cages! Good job, can't wait to see them finished with critters in them.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 02:50 PM
One question ... Could you make one for me James ... please, lol ??? ...

very, VERY NICE !!!

marian

I'm on my way now Marian, just loading my tools into the van. Get the kettle on!:D

Thamnophis
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Looks very fine!

drache
02-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Very nice, James
Fine work
Can't wait to see them with inhabitants.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Me too, Rhea, me too!

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 06:38 PM
I reckon Garters in two of them and Natrix natrix in the third.

Sid
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Really like the new vivs James.

Sid

Cazador
03-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi James,

First, really nice work! The 4' width is going to give multiple garters plenty of freedom in each section.

I recently made a new enclosure, pictures below, and have some ideas that you (and others) might be able to modify to suit your needs. First, I should probably say that it's not finished in order to disguise my poor carpentry skills and make people think that great and wonderful things are soon to come.

I have an 8" x 17" (21 x 43cm) heat pad underneath the 3/4" (1.9cm) floor and outside of the enclosure. It's along part of the right wall (under the silver thermometer and in front of the round log with the round hole). All walls are 3/4" (1.9cm) thick, and the heat pad makes the hot spot a little warmer than I'd like. The astroturf helps to diffuse a bit of the heat and lowers the temp by almost 1C, which currently keeps the hot spot between 88 and 90F (31-32C). I still need to get a dimmer for it because I'd like to have the hotspot around 85 (29.5) or so. The cool end stays at about 21C.
The wires to my full spectrum lighting run from the ceiling, down behind the vertical 1" x 3" (2.5 x 7.5cm) malmite strip in the front. I cut a 2.5cm disc out of the floor and ran the wires out through the hole. Then I re-inserted the wooden disk, so it fits snugly against the wires. Then I put some tape above and below this disk to make sure that it doesn't get pushed through the floor somehow. It's actually very snug, though.

My plexiglass doors in the front have handles on each side, and both slide sideways to open. They can be completely removed. I've considered cutting a hole in the top of the enclosure and using a router to recess another plexiglass window/door from above. This would give even better access, but it might also let more heat out. I haven't decided whether to do that or not. Anyway, the fluorescent light fixture is just far enough from the front so that the plexiglass can slide (with a bit of resistance), but not far enough away that a snake could get between it and the glass. The same small space exists behind that vertical 2.5 x 7.5cm malmite strip in the front. On the far right and left sides (next to the handles), the plexiglass extends about 2" (5cm) behind the vertical trim.

There's also a small, white shelf in the back corner, but the snakes haven't used it much yet... just to occasionally investigate the ceiling. I think I might attach some old shed snake skins to hide the unfinished edge on that back shelf, or I might put a piece of horizontal trim and fill it with wood chips. That would be more difficult to clean, though.

Also remember that your snakes will be spending a lot of time wherever your heat source is, so put the heat source where you would like to see the snakes. Finally, there is an electric power strip that you can see near the front. The wires come out of the enclosure and plug right into the power strip, which has a timer regulating the lights and heat.

The perimeter is roughly 36" x 36" x 22" x 35", and it is 12" tall (.91m x .91m x .56m x .89m by .3m tall). The longest internal dimesion is 50" (1.25 m) from right to left. It's not square, so that it doesn't stick out too far into the room.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC06671.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC06673.JPG

Hope this helps to make yours even better.

Rick

Gijs & Sabine
03-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Well done, James ! It looks really nice:)

I also like your new enclosure, Rick. I've never seen anything like this before.

adamanteus
03-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice viv Rick,

I've done a drawing (again!!:rolleyes: ) to illustrate my description of what I plan to do....a picture paints a thousand words!

I always use two heaters, independent of each other, one main one to provide the ambient warmth and a hot spot, and then a smaller one under the water bowl with which I can control humidity quite precisely. I've always (well, for years anyway) followed this method, as it makes the vivarium very versatile. It can be used for anything from tropical rain forest environment, through temperate to arid desert, with just the twist of a couple of thermostats. I've drawn heat mats but I actually use cable for the main heat source, you can "snake":rolleyes: it around anywhere you want it then.

My doors are always paired glass sliding ones, to save space and make fitting a lock easier. I use ground-in finger grips, rather the handles so the doors can cross over each other. They could be made to be removable, but I generally like to make mine a closer fit, so once they're in, they're in!

For substrate I use large pieces of slate, as in roofing slate. These are cemented into place and neatly pointed-in, trapping the heaters below. This is (I think) very attractive, dead easy to clean...just wipe clean, and won't harbour parasites or other nasties. Water spills etc. quickly evaporate off the surface, so humidity stays in my control. It also stops the animals gaining direct access to the heat source and cooking themselves! If for whatever reason a different substrate is required, this can simply be spread over the slate.

My water bowls are large ceramic ones, also cemented in as an integral part of the floor. This necessitates bailing-out and cleaning in situ, but it's not really a problem, being ceramic they easily wipe clean.

Lighting is broad-spectrum (daylight) strips, on a timer of course.

The finished vivaria are decorated with hides, climbing branches, cork bark, rocks etc. as dictated by the needs of the species to be housed.

The general design is very basic and simple, but looks great once it's decorated, and as I said it's versatile....this week tree frogs, next week Uromastyx!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//536/medium/Viv_plans.jpg

Thamnophis
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Very nice terrarium, Rick.

boeh
03-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Well done James. That looks very good.

Cyrill

Stefan-A
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Very nice one, Rick. What shape is it actually, since it's not square?

adamanteus
03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Another stage of my new vivs is done.....The electrics are in and I've fitted the air vents in the rear walls. Just got the floors and doors to do, then I'm in business. Can anybody spare a snake!:rolleyes: :p

I haven't bothered taking pictures, because with all the wiring (pre-floor fitting) it looks like a mess of spaghetti!

Rick, speaking of photos, I accidentally erased my previous pics from this thread (idiot:o)! Are you able to put them back in the right place for me? (they're in my gallery) Or do I have to re-post them?

Cazador
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Got 'em ;).

Rick

adamanteus
03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Merci bien, mon ami. Tu es tres gentile!;)

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Just to keep you all updated.....I've got my slate floors in the new vivs now. They just need the doors (which are coming on Thursday), and then furnishings (hides etc.) Almost there!:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Slate_floor.jpg

Stefan-A
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Looks good so far. :) Can you tell us (me) more about that slate floor?

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
What do you want to know? It's just roofing slate, cemented in and pointed up. The heat cable is underneath.

Stefan-A
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh, okay. :D That's pretty much all I needed to know, it's just a solution I wasn't familiar with.

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 02:57 PM
I've done it for years, mainly for ease of cleaning and aesthetics.

Cazador
04-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Looks awesome James. How do you cut the slate?

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Looks awesome James. How do you cut the slate?

With great skill and artistic flair!;) I use a slate axe. I'm lucky I guess in so much as through my work I have such tools to hand, plus I always have surplus materials hanging around.

LeapinLeo
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Wow!!! That looks fantastic

drache
04-15-2007, 05:39 PM
that does look awesome

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Thankyou Rhea. XX

Sputnik
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm not at all envious, nope, not one tiny bit. ;)

Thamnophis
04-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Looks fine, James. I love the slate floor.

Sputnik
05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
We have a small piece of slate in the corn snakes' vivarium, they seem to love it. I liked your idea of having a complete slate floor so much, James, I thought I'd see if I can find some pieces somewhere. One of our local nursing homes is being extended and living in an ancient town, they are adding real slate roof tiles. I asked this afternoon if they had any broken pieces that I could have and the builders very kindly sorted out a nice pile for me. :)

adamanteus
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Excellent news Rosina! I hope you like it as much as I do!

adamanteus
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Don't forget though, Esther, if you go for a permanent slate floor it needs to be well sealed to the sides and back of the viv, or else you'll get water spills, faeces etc. seaping in there which you can never get to!

Sputnik
05-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Yes, I thought I would have to. What's the best sealant to use? Some of the pieces are quite large so hopefully I won't have too much of a mosaic to put together.

adamanteus
05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I just use ordinary silicone sealant. For aesthetic purposes the clear one is best.

adamanteus
02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Best you you the finished product, complete with occupants.:rolleyes:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Viv_Complete.jpg

Sputnik
02-02-2008, 03:51 PM
You took your time, James! ;) Great looking vivs though.

Stefan-A
02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
You already know it looks good. :)

What about all your other snakes? Or are they all in those three enclosures? ;)

adamanteus
02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The rest are still quite small, so they are still in plastic 'store-bought' tanks.

Pinky
02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
wow, very nice work!love the slate more then i thought i would!:)

tikichick
02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Wow, very nicely done!

Sid
02-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Great job, James. I love the finished product. Very professional job.

Snaky
02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Looking good, James! :)

adamanteus
02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys. Now I have to construct two more triple vivs, just like that one, over the next couple of months because all my '07 babies are growing so fast!:eek:

Stefan-A
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Are you going to make identical vivs only, or are you considering making one specifically for babies as well?

I only have to build one more viv for now. Maybe modify the one with swinging doors as well.

adamanteus
02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, they'll be identical. I like the little plasic things for babies, they're ideal.

anji1971
02-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Beautiful vivs, James!! Just let me know when you have time to pop over to Canada and toss a couple together for me!!:D

Stefan-A
02-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes, they'll be identical. I like the little plasic things for babies, they're ideal.
They're a bit small, aren't they? The largest ones I've found have been too small for both the vagrans and the tetra since a couple of months back. The flat types have enough surface area, but they are a bit low.

I'm generally happy with my decision to make one of my vivs dividable. Maybe the next one will be dividable into three sections.

Loren
02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Very nice cages. both of you.
I am working on plans in my head for a new cage unit, but havent made up my mind on the design specifics. I'm hoping for 2 levels of 18"wide x 32" deep (2 cages per level) and 2 upper levels of 12" wide x 32" deep (3 cages per level), for a total of 10 cages in a 3 foot wide x 32" deep area, and about eye level for height of top cage. Probably about 12" tall cages with the short ends facing forward for space efficiency. Still trying to decide how to make them open,and what to do for heat and light, and I want to put locks on them too. Plus, they have to look nice and be really cheap to build. So basically, I have alot of thinking to do yet:).

Sputnik
02-11-2008, 07:46 AM
James, how much did the glass cost you? We went to our local window shop and they quoted us £48 for two panels for an approximate 120cm x 50cm vivarium. :eek: I can buy a second hand viv for that.

adamanteus
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
They cost me £38- per pair, each door is 650mm X 400mm, toughened glass with all edges dressed and a finger-grip handle ground in. So it is pretty expensive, but you only have to do it once!:rolleyes:

pETER1
02-15-2008, 02:52 AM
James,
Love the viv's where do you get the cable from and is it on a thermostat?

Peter

adamanteus
02-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, the cable is controlled by a thermostat. I buy my cables from the garden centre, they call them 'soil warming cables', I think they're designed for use in a greenhouse.

jeanette
05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
hey james could you give me step by step instructions (DIY for idiots so to speak) on how to build something like that i want a viv stack of 4 measuring 4ftX2ft.
i can do DIY as long as its explained really clearly lol.

dashnu
05-31-2008, 04:38 PM
hey james could you give me step by step instructions (DIY for idiots so to speak) on how to build something like that i want a viv stack of 4 measuring 4ftX2ft.
i can do DIY as long as its explained really clearly lol.

I second that!

SpyrotheGartersnake
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
what type of supplies did you use because i might think i making one for my reptiles

jeanette
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
what type of supplies did you use because i might think i making one for my reptiles
we want to know *in whiney voice*
c'mon james share your secrets