PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Injury

Caleb
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Everyone
I hate to have to introduce myself in the "Urgent Care" section, but I'm quite worried about by snake. He seems to have some sort of spinal Injury. I only noticed it today and the only incident I can think of that could have caused it happened about 2 months ago when my Mother accidentally dropped him. I couldn't see any apparent signs of injury back then. He shed and started eating again the day after the fall. He's never had any problem moving and he is quite active.
Even now it doesn't seem to affect his movement or appetite. He doesn't like being handled very much which I can understand after being dropped.
Anyway, here's a picture I just took.
Is this reason for great concern? Can anything be done about it? Will it affect him more later?

He's my first snake so I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

btw, My name is Lourens and I'm from Gauteng, South Africa. Great to meet you all.

Thanks

adamanteus
04-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Lourens, and welcome to the forum.:)
Yes, that does look like a spinal injury, but if he is still eating and moving without difficulty, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as it doesn't become any worse or start to effect his movements.
I doubt that anything can be done to rectify such an injury, any attempt to straighten that kink would almost certainly result in further injury.

Stefan-A
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

Caleb
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reply adamanteus.
I guess I'll just have to whatch him closely and see how it turns out

Sid
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Lourens, I agree with James on the spinal injury. and welcome to the form.

guidofatherof5
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Good luck with your injured snake. I have had a few Garters with spinal injuries and have observed some in the wild. They are able to survive and do quite well with some severe injuries. I've said it before and here I go again. They are "Tough as nails"

drache
04-09-2009, 06:06 AM
welcome to the forum, Lourens
I agree with James about the injury

gregmonsta
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Greetings :D crossing fingers for your snake :)

Snake lover 3-25
04-09-2009, 04:40 PM
welcome to the forum!:) good luck with your snake

Caleb
04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

Odie
04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Lourens :)