PDA

View Full Version : head up

rpguzman
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I recently noticed one of my garters is spending some of the time with his head up. I waded through some of the old posts and someone commented that this could mean problems. Anyone care to comment on what this might be?

Romy

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
respiratory distress is a good bet. watch for him to be slightly opening his mouth. another possibilty is stargazing.. which if it just started now I doubt it's that.

guidofatherof5
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi all,

I recently noticed one of my garters is spending some of the time with his head up. I waded through some of the old posts and someone commented that this could mean problems. Anyone care to comment on what this might be?

Romy

Can you describe what you mean by "Head up". Can you post a picture?

Just trying to get a better idea of the problem. Thanks and welcome.

adamanteus
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Shannon, the head-up posture can be an early indication of respiratory infection.

Jack Neary
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
respiratory distress is a good bet. watch for him to be slightly opening his mouth. another possibilty is stargazing.. which if it just started now I doubt it's that.

Shannon,
Have any of your Garter's ever developed a respitory infection? If so, were you or your herp vet able to treat and cure it?
Thanks!
Jack

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I have never had respiratory distress in a garter become serious yet. I have seen early warning signs and caught them in time to turn it around. The raising head posture is an early warning sign. if i see that i pick up the snake and put the middle of it next to my ear in a quiet place and listen to the breathing. If I hear early signs of distress (popping, wheezing, gurgly noises) I isolate the snake, up the heat (the heat helps their body run at its fullest to fight infection) and keep it scrupulously clean and dry on paper toweling. I don't feed until the snake appears to be okay.

drache
04-09-2009, 06:09 AM
not that my garters have ever had one, but when one of my other snakes had an early respiratory infection, just raising the temps knocked it out

rpguzman
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I've got the temp up to a steady 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll keep you all posted.

Romy