PDA

View Full Version : import regulations

drache
02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Does anyone here know about import regulations from Europe into the US?
I would just love to have a snake from my home region (Natrix natrix, not Vipera berus). I don't suppose anyone in the US has got any???
What's it take in terms of red tape and hassle?

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
From a UK aspect that would be a problem Although we are permitted to collect Vipera berus and Natrix natrix helvetica, I believe it is illegal to trade them. Don't know about mainland Europe.

GarterGuy
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I've actually seen Natrix sp. for sale at local reptiles shows, so either someone in the US is breeding them or some are crossing the ocean.
Roy

drache
02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Daniel sent me a message, to give me the email address of a guy here, who's gotten some from Germany.
I'm getting kind of excited about this.
I remember my dad trying to figure out how he could keep the Natrix out of his fish ponds without hurting them. He had some big goldfish in one pond and Karp in the other, and he finally ended up covering the ponds with fine chicken wire during spring.
I also remember him talking to somebody about this who asked him why he didn't just kill the snakes. He just shook his head and said something like "why on earth would I want to do that?"
Our Natrix were just dark grayish brownish, with very subtle patterning, and pale belly, but when the sun was on them they had a lovely, slightly coppery sheen to them.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
No doubt about it, Natrix natrix is a beautiful snake. I was able to capture a pair of N. n. helvetica about 7 or 8 years ago. I found they were quite tricky to get feeding at first, I had to start them off on frogs, but once they started there was no stopping them.

I was rather disappointed that they never feigned death (which they're famous for). I was hoping to photograph that. They bred for two consecutive years, then I released them where I'd found them. I released all the babies immediately after hatching too. I'm going to collect a pair again this year. So watch this space!!:D