PDA

View Full Version : my garter addiction

drache
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
This is kind of bad, but hanging out here really kicks in my garter addiction.
I want more.
If I could only catch those two fully grown Siamensis in my 33G tank, then I could put the entire content of my 20G long into that tank. Who needs two fishtanks anyway - all those water changes are a pain.
I'd really pretty much have to take everything out of the 33G to get them though. Maybe next week . . .

Cazador
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello. My name is Rhea, and I have a snake addiction ;). I think we're all pretty similar... looking all over the house for an empty spot where a new enclosure would fit.

adamanteus
02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I've put my children up for sale on the internet. It will free a lot of space and just think of all the snakes I could buy with the money I get for them!:D

mikm
02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
That's pretty funny guys and comforting too Rick as I do seem to do those mental room scans wondering where another might fit, lol :)

CrazyHedgehog
02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
yes.....i fed my tropical fish to my snakes.......and then I had another 3 foot viv....just a few mods to the lid....
looks much better now...

GGarter
02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I know the feeling.

Just turned down an offer on a flat, because it was too expensive, if I wanted to keep garters as well....

But I still like it.

drache
02-27-2007, 01:36 PM
yes.....i fed my tropical fish to my snakes.......and then I had another 3 foot viv....just a few mods to the lid....
looks much better now...

did you really do that?
I've thought about feeding the Siamensis to the adult garters.
They're a tough fish though, 3.5" long, muscular and 6 years old. I am worried that the snake would get hurt.
I can bring them to the shop and trade them for feeders for the little ones.
That lone surviving albino Buenos Aires Tetra - also ancient - l've thought about feeding that one too. He looks tasty and I bet he's lonely anyway, being a Tetra.

adamanteus
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Fish killers!! LOL

CrazyHedgehog
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
i know i know...but in all fairness we seemed to have an unhealthy tank...kept losing fish for no apparent reason, water tested fine, perfect temp, lots of plants, good lighting and filter....but still seemed to keep having problems...got fed up and decided I had had enough...all small comunity fish...

The garters were pleased!

adamanteus
02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
i know i know...but in all fairness we seemed to have an unhealthy tank...kept losing fish for no apparent reason, water tested fine, perfect temp, lots of plants, good lighting and filter....but still seemed to keep having problems...got fed up and decided I had had enough...all small comunity fish...

The garters were pleased!

Let's get this right....everything was perfect, but you kept losing fish and you Garters are happy? You've been raising snake food!! LOL:D

drache
02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Actually - that does sound a lot like the feeder minnows I get. If I don't feed them to the snakes right away, they die even under perfect condition.
My other fish however - some of them are exceeding their natural lifespan.
That Clown Loach I may end up eating myself some day.

Thamnophis
02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
This all sounds familiar :D

GarterGuy
02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Actually - that does sound a lot like the feeder minnows I get. If I don't feed them to the snakes right away, they die even under perfect condition.
My other fish however - some of them are exceeding their natural lifespan.
That Clown Loach I may end up eating myself some day.

What is the deal with loaches???? My buddy had a redfin loach that he had for 25yrs. and I have a dwarf loach now for 11yrs. I have to laugh about the fish feedings! When I had my first garter, when I was ten, I also had fish tanks. If I had a fish that was beating up my other fish, off to the garter it would go. She was like my bad fish exacutioner!!!:eek:

drache
02-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Loaches are very long-lived. I like them because of their goofyness.
The Siamensis are the bad guys in my tank.
Does anybody here know whether it might hurt my snakes to eat them?

Cazador
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry Rhea... not sure. I noticed that they can get kind of large, but I don't know if they have any hard spines that could physically injure your snakes. It's probably best just not to take the chance.

drache
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah. that's what I'm thinking too.
I'm sure I can talk the shop into giving me some minnows in exchange.

drache
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Woman of action here:
Caught fish, took them to shop. They don't take fish any more, but the guy behind the counter was happy to have them for his own tank. No free minnows though.
The fish from the 20G long are also caught and transferred.
And I did all of this between the end of work and picking up my daughter from school.
During that time I also met up with Sean from the rescue and got a leopard gecko for my daughter's science classroom. I had the nerve to ask the science teacher whether he'd give me some of his baby brook trout for my snakes, but no luck on that one.
There's still a bunch of clean-up, but heck - I got a free tank and a whole bunch of floor space.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Woah!! You go girl!:D

Cazador
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Nice job, Rhea! That science teacher better lock those trout safely in at night because it sounds like once you get an idea in your head, you don't dwell on it for long :D. Can't wait to see the new set-up. Are you leaning toward T. cyrtopsis?

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I think cyrtopsis might be available in the UK, so it's on my wish list, but then again....so many snakes, so little space/time/cash/!

drache
02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I built this rack for my lizard cages - nothing like the stunning piece you built, James, but quite serviceable.
Now I'm thinking of building another one and getting four or five pairs from Scott. I'm thinking T. cyrtopsis, T. elegans vagrans, T. sirtalis similis, T, fulvus, and perhaps something a bit colourful like T. sirtalis infernalis.
Am I crazy? Probably. Every year I get two or three little ones and they're a bit labour intensive. So I'm thinking that if I get a bunch, I can get through that part in one fell swoop. I won't feel compelled to do it again next year. Then I can enjoy my many wonderful snakes.
Crazy, huh?