PDA

View Full Version : Custom made

guidofatherof5
03-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Thought I would share a few photos of the enclosure I had built. A good friend of mine did the work. I just delivered the materials for 3-5 more of them. He's going to make 3 the same size as this one and 2 smaller ones. I love the screened front and top. Plenty of ventilation.
With the front down I have great access to the radixes. I mean, they have great access to me!
My new ones will have a 2x4 front ledge, not a 2x2. I've had a few rocket right out of the enclosure and onto the floor.
I have to be very careful when closing it up. If one were to be caught in the jam they would be injured or even killed.
Looking forward to switching all mine over to these large enclosures.
These are not enclosures for newborns. Too many door gaps for them to wedge into and possibly get out. I like to keep newborns in glass for the first year.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/custom.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/custom1.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/custom2.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
03-28-2009, 09:07 PM
nice cage!!!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
fantastic! There's nothing better than home made!:D

reptile3
03-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Awesome...I bet they will love their new homes!!!:)

Sid
03-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Very nice enclosure, Steve.

drache
03-29-2009, 05:07 AM
very nice Steve, you fortunate man
i need a good friend like that

mtolypetsupply
03-29-2009, 06:56 AM
those are SWEET, Steve! Have you sealed the wood with anything to make it water/poo proof? If so, what do you recommend?

guidofatherof5
03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
those are SWEET, Steve! Have you sealed the wood with anything to make it water/poo proof? If so, what do you recommend?

This one isn't sealed. The next ones I plan on lining the bottom and sides(1 foot up) with fiberglass. I figure a foot up on the sides will keep the poop smearers under control. The fiberglass is the kind they use in showers. It has a rough texture. A 4x8 sheet of it should last a long time. I'm going to stay away from any kind of sealents.

gregmonsta
03-29-2009, 07:30 AM
It's a good size for sure :D plenty of scope to add climbing opportunities :)

anji1971
03-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Very nice!:)
I'd never considered using screen instead of glass. A much more affordable option. Maybe I'll have homemade vivs sooner than I think........;)

Sid
03-29-2009, 12:23 PM
This one isn't sealed. The next ones I plan on lining the bottom and sides(1 foot up) with fiberglass. I figure a foot up on the sides will keep the poop smearers under control. The fiberglass is the kind they use in showers. It has a rough texture. A 4x8 sheet of it should last a long time. I'm going to stay away from any kind of sealents.
Steve, the shower board liner is a good idea and looks good as well as being easy to clean. I have one thought for you though, cover the side and back completely. Humidity in the viv may over a period of time cause mold to build on the untreated/ uncovered parts and the unsealed wood could also make possible mite problems harder to treat. Just a thought. I still love the vivs.

brain
03-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Steve
I use floor polyurethane sealer on the inside of my habitats and let it dry or off gas outside (weather permitting) and have never had a problem with it.

Now wall board like in the shower is a tough to seal the corners and IMO fiberglass is way too much trouble. I build cabinets for a living at Nordic Tug and have tried a lot of methods to keep moisture out, again IMO. :cool:

guidofatherof5
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Steve, the shower board liner is a good idea and looks good as well as being easy to clean. I have one thought for you though, cover the side and back completely. Humidity in the viv may over a period of time cause mold to build on the untreated/ uncovered parts and the unsealed wood could also make possible mite problems harder to treat. Just a thought. I still love the vivs.

With an open top and front, humidity has never been a problem. My quarantine period is long. Thanks for the ideas and comments.

Snake lover 3-25
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
very nice cage!!!