PDA

View Full Version : Really, really long time since shedding

thinkmore
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
We haven't posted much for a while, but are still around. Some of you might remember the wild-caught young radix we brought home at the end of September, Jiffy. The only time he has shed since we've had him was six weeks after bringing him home, back in November!

Now, Jiffy did insist on brumating, but we started warming him back up mid-January. He started eating again 12 days later and has been active and eating regularly since. He was pretty shy for a long time, and spent a lot of time hiding in his "tree" but since we removed said tree, he has become a very active, curious, busy snake. We've tried to make his environment as natural as possible, to make up for what he's missing in the wild, so there's lots of variety for him.

So here's the odd things... only one shed in 6 months. He does seem to have grown some. He doesn't produce much in the way of poops either. And yet he eats just fine (on his terms, not from tongs).

Should we be worried?

Stefan-A
03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
No need to worry.

Sid
03-25-2009, 03:03 AM
I agree with, Stefan...don't worry. Adult snakes do continue to grow and will shed, only far less often than growing JV's.

guidofatherof5
03-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Sounds like you've gotten good advice. You could also keep a notebook by the enclosure and log occurrences(shedding, pooping, feeding). There have been times here I've had similar concerns about one of mine. When I go back and look at the log I see things are normal. Sometimes, I lose track of things and a written log helps.

drache
03-25-2009, 05:27 AM
wouldn't worry about it if everything else is fine

anji1971
03-25-2009, 07:10 AM
I think you'll be fine! I've noticed distinct cycles with my adult snakes.
They seem to go on growth spurts, during which they'll eat like crazy and shed more often. The rest of the time, they can go months between sheds.
With the warm weather approaching, I'm sure you'll see an increase in appetite, and noticeable growth. And, yes, a nice shed, too!;):)

thinkmore
03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know how old Jiffy is, but he's only about 10 inches long, so can't be an adult. Same advice?

Stefan-A
03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't know how old Jiffy is, but he's only about 10 inches long, so can't be an adult. Same advice?
I did have second thoughts because of that fact, but as long as the snake isn't looking thin, there isn't much to worry about. Of course it could also be a symptom that something is slowing down the snake's growth rate and the prime suspect would then be a "stowaway".

Jeff B
03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm wondering if a shed didn't occur that is hidden, i.e. burried in the substrate in a tight wad, sometimes they end up that way rather than on the surface all stretched out? because typically they will shed after brumation, especially after feeding a few times. Take a good look in the enclosure, and if you have already changed substrate since then, perhaps a shed was already discarded.

Jeff B
03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
either way probably nothing to worry about as long as he is feeding regularly and active and alert.

thinkmore
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I did have second thoughts because of that fact, but as long as the snake isn't looking thin, there isn't much to worry about. Of course it could also be a symptom that something is slowing down the snake's growth rate and the prime suspect would then be a "stowaway".

Hmm, that's what I was worried about. I don't think he looks excessively thin, but maybe we better take a pic and get your opinion. He has grown very little, all things considered, and especially compared with how Rook grew. Perhaps a "stowaway" could be digesting part of his food, thus the virtually nonexistent poops? Is that possible?

Stefan-A
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd like to point out that I find it unlikely that there's anything to worry about, but I recommend consulting a veterinarian if you are concerned.

thinkmore
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm wondering if a shed didn't occur that is hidden, ....

Yeah, that's what we were thinking, Jeff. There are lots of places to hide things in there, but we've searched pretty diligently and found nothing. He could still have pulled a trick on us!

thinkmore
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd like to point out that I find it unlikely that there's anything to worry about, but I recommend consulting a veterinarian if you are concerned.

Yeah, we're not really worried, just curious. We don't have a vet qualified to give an opinion about a snake in this area.

Does he look ok here? Not the greatest pics, sorry...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/Jiffy/Jiffybask.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/Jiffy/Jiffyhold.jpg

Thanks everyone! This is a great site...

guidofatherof5
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Looks pretty good. Doesn't have that dull look of a snake who needs to shed.
Looks like a male. Nice looking young man.

anji1971
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
It does look good! :)
As Steve just mentioned, it may be a male, and if so, he could end up growing more slowly. Not in every case, but it's common. The boys are quite a bit smaller as adults, too. The only males I have are still very young, but they don't seem to shed as often as the girls did.

thinkmore
03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Great, thanks guys! Just didn't feel entirely confident in our snake keeping skills quite yet. It's starting to make more sense now. As a male, he'll stay smaller and doesn't need to grow as fast or shed as often.

He's really fun to watch, being so active. We're always looking to see what he's up to now (handy having him in the living room).

guidofatherof5
03-26-2009, 05:02 AM
The livingroom is a great place for the ones that can handle that kind of traffic. I keep only radixes and they are always watching what's going on. My big girls come out and get the attention of my kids. The next thing I know the girls have the girls out. Doing homework with them or watching a movie. They really seem to enjoy and expect the interaction.

thinkmore
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I guess we didn't think about that too much, Steve. We just picked a convenient spot in the living room to display the tank, which coincidentally happens to be a major thoroughfare through the house!

The snakes have watched us (and the dogs and the TV and the fireplace) much like we watched them. Maybe they don't really need the entertainment... but then again, I like to think they appreciate it ;)