PDA

View Full Version : Failure to shed

guidofatherof5
03-22-2009, 04:57 PM
If a snake is unable to shed at all, will there be health problems? I know they can lose the tip of their tail if it isn't a complete shed but are there more serious consequences for no shed. As in circulatory or breathing problems.
The reason I ask is this. My radix male with scoliosis needed to shed and wasn't mobile enough to do it. I even put the little guy in a shed box, twice. He couldn't even start. He became lathargic with very shallow breathing. I finally soaked him in a sink full of warm water. I had to the manually remove the shed. It was amazing. He allowed me to do the entire thing and never resisted. I have not handled this guy for fear I would injure him but this afternoon I had to be quite forceful. I know it could bring an arguement but I think he knew I wasn't going to hurt him. Once I finished he was able to make his way without any trouble. It was worth the time.
Sometimes a little anthropomorphism is a good thing, for me at least.

ssssnakeluvr
03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
yes, if they don't shed, it can lead to problems....losing a piece of the tail is one...but imagine the shin staying on along the whole snake....squeezing him....nothing wrong with soaking and peeling him!!

Snake lover 3-25
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
nice save steve!

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
definitely gotta soak and peel him in this case. If he can't shed, he will die :(

there are actually fungal infections out there that render snakes unable to shed, it causes them to not produce the secretions that separate the old skin from the new skin. it could take a year, but it eventually kills them :eek:

drache
03-23-2009, 05:53 AM
good thing you helped
it's got to feel uncomfortable to have all that stiff old skin stuck to one

TheBeansprout
03-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi Steve, That's great that you were able to do the whole shed for him.

I think he did know you were trying to help, not hurt him. :)

TheBeansprout

keelerskiddiecare
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Wow that is awesome that you did that for him Steve.... way to go... just another example of mankind living along side of animal kind instead of "dominating and crushing" them for lack of better words..... I am sure you are his hero! :D

gregmonsta
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
He's ours in any case :D

anji1971
03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Wonderful job, Steve!
That little crooked snake is lucky to have you!:)