PDA

View Full Version : New with some questions!

ShadyLady
03-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Hello all I stumbled onto this forum a while back while I was doing some research into Garters looked around but just recently joined because I have a new addition. Here is where the questions start!

On a walk with a friend (mind you the ground was frozen and it was snowing) we were taking our dogs on a walk through a local nature park we were almost back to the car when we notice a little difference in the ground coloring and quickly realize it's a snake! I freak because the dogs are running around and have ran over where he was sitting several times not to mention it's below freezing and snowing (though it was sunny and warm the day before) I quickly scoop up the little guy who can barely move at this point and we bring him home where I carefully warm him up. I have him set up temporarily in a tank that used to house one of my Ball Pythons but other than what I read a few years ago when I found another garter I don't know how to best care for him so hope you guys can help me out. I have looked into the basics but any additional suggestions would be great. Also I don't know what exactly he is (pic below) so help in that department would be great also.

Ok figure that is long enough of an intro thanks in advance for any help!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3348032628_df1d94ac86.jpg?
Link to a bigger version http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3348032628_df1d94ac86_b.jpg

I can post more if needed also, thanks!

Stefan-A
03-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Welcome aboard. :) That's a nice looking garter indeed.

We'll be happy to help out with any specific issues. You say you already have looked into the basics, but here's our basic care sheet anyway: http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

ShadyLady
03-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Thank you very much! Any clue as to what he is exactly?

Stefan-A
03-14-2009, 04:11 AM
Not at this moment, no. At this time, I'm leaning towards Thamnophis atratus. Let's see what the other users think.

drache
03-14-2009, 04:33 AM
welcome to the forum
that is a very nice looking garter
it looks like an atratus to me also andd I am quite envious

ShadyLady
03-14-2009, 04:33 AM
That is what I was thinking too, however, I thought they were more south of me. I'm in northern Oregon up by WA and I thought they were mainly a Mid California type... thought I definitely could be mistaken lol

Thanks!

drache
03-14-2009, 04:38 AM
I wasn't sure of their range either, so I looked here
snakefinder (http://www.gartersnake.de/snakefinder/snakefinder.html)

ShadyLady
03-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Awesome thanks for the help! I didn't think they came up this far thanks for the link that, obviously, helped a lot!

Sid
03-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Welcome to a great forum.:)

adamanteus
03-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Looks like Thamnophis ordinoides to me. Is there any orange speckling underneath?

guidofatherof5
03-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Nice find and great save on the snake. Ground frozen, snow on the ground and he/she's out cruising. They are amazing. Tough as nails, they are.
You're going to like it here.

gregmonsta
03-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Great find :)

infernalis
03-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Lucky find!

snakems
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Hello all I stumbled onto this forum a while back while I was doing some research into Garters looked around but just recently joined because I have a new addition. Here is where the questions start!

On a walk with a friend (mind you the ground was frozen and it was snowing) we were taking our dogs on a walk through a local nature park we were almost back to the car when we notice a little difference in the ground coloring and quickly realize it's a snake! I freak because the dogs are running around and have ran over where he was sitting several times not to mention it's below freezing and snowing (though it was sunny and warm the day before) I quickly scoop up the little guy who can barely move at this point and we bring him home where I carefully warm him up. I have him set up temporarily in a tank that used to house one of my Ball Pythons but other than what I read a few years ago when I found another garter I don't know how to best care for him so hope you guys can help me out. I have looked into the basics but any additional suggestions would be great. Also I don't know what exactly he is (pic below) so help in that department would be great also.

Ok figure that is long enough of an intro thanks in advance for any help!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3348032628_df1d94ac86.jpg?
Link to a bigger version http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3348032628_df1d94ac86_b.jpg

I can post more if needed also, thanks!

what handsome snake! :D lucky youuuu!
Sorry Im no help with any of your questions but I wanted to comment on this little guy/girl.
beautiful. :) Im sure this will be getting plenty response posts with people who know more than I :)

indigoman
03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
the T.A. hydrophilus population extends into Oregon.

anji1971
03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Hello, and welcome!:)
Lucky snake, and lucky you for finding such a beauty!

ssssnakeluvr
03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
head looks like vagrans to me....face not dark enough for the one striped atratus....

Snake lover 3-25
03-14-2009, 05:40 PM
welcome to the froum what a beautiful snake!:)

count dewclaw
03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Welcome, welcome! :D

ShadyLady
03-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Looks like Thamnophis ordinoides to me. Is there any orange speckling underneath?
Nope under his head extending slightly down his body is yellow then if fades to a really dark blue black (looks black but has a blue tint at the right angle/in the right light) The only speckling he has is the bit of white down his sides.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful advice it's much appriciated!

Odie
03-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Nope under his head extending slightly down his body is yellow then if fades to a really dark blue black (looks black but has a blue tint at the right angle/in the right light) The only speckling he has is the bit of white down his sides.
Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful advice it's much appriciated!
Looks like a Single stripe morph T. Ordinoides, They so far as I have seen don't have red/orange.

adamanteus
03-15-2009, 03:12 AM
I also thought ordinoides, I didn't know the single striped morph lacked the orange speckling. That being the case, I still think it is ordinoides.

Stefan-A
03-15-2009, 03:27 AM
I also thought ordinoides, I didn't know the single striped morph lacked the orange speckling. That being the case, I still think it is ordinoides.
It appears to have 7 supralabial scales, so it should be ordinoides.

misskris
03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
He/she is beautifull. Congratulations and Welcome :)

ssssnakeluvr
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like a Single stripe morph T. Ordinoides, They so far as I have seen don't have red/orange.
I've seen lots of photos of ordinoides with orange...

Odie
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I've seen lots of photos of ordinoides with orange...
Single stripe morph T. Ordinoides, They so far as I have seen don't have red/orange :D