PDA

View Full Version : How long to eat after brumation?

Scott E.
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I brought my male out of brumation first to try to get him to eat first before I brought out the female. I have heard that males don't have an interest in food if there is a female around, and he needs to eat. How long do they need to be out of brumation before they start eating?

Scott

gregmonsta
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Could be a little while ... My radix didn't eat until he shed his skin (about two weeks) ... seems to depend on the snake as well. Just keep offering food as per usual according to your feeding cycle and he'll latch on when he's ready ;)

Stefan-A
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
My snakes have waited 2-4 weeks and shed once before they started eating.

adamanteus
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
It can take a while, Scott. Very often in nature the males don't eat until after they have mated..... they leave the hibernacula before the females, then just hang around the den entrances, warming up and waiting for the ladies to emerge. Then they pounce!
Sometimes they might not eat until they have sloughed. It could take weeks.

Scott E.
03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I guess that I will go ahead and bring out the female, then and let things happen.:o

Thanks for the info!

guidofatherof5
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Some of my radixes have waited 5 weeks to eat. Others eat after a few days. I think it's different for each snake.

sschind
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I must have gotten lucky, both my eastern black neck and wandering males ate before the females did and they are in drawers right next to the females.

I guess it depends on the snakes.

guidofatherof5
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
My red-sided radix started eating 3 days ago. She had been out of brumation for 5 weeks. Had no interest in food. Pinkies, worms or salmon. Now, she's the first one out to get fed. She ate 5 pinkies the other day. Must be making up for lost time.

Sid
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Scott,
I have had their eating after burmation go to both extremes myself. Some eat as soon as they warm enough to digest the food and other won't eat for 3 or 4 weeks.
Keep an eye on them and try not to worry unless you start seeing weight loss problems.

guidofatherof5
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I brought my male out of brumation first to try to get him to eat first before I brought out the female. I have heard that males don't have an interest in food if there is a female around, and he needs to eat. How long do they need to be out of brumation before they start eating?

Scott

Scott,

I purchased a postage scale from Sam's Club. They're not very expensive. It reads in grams and has a "tare" function. This way you zero it out after you placed you container on top. It then only gives you the snakes weight. Comes in real handy for watching those that have come out of brumation. Quick and easy.

guidofatherof5
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Great news, Our girl Lucky(radix) started eating with zealousness. That's our old Lucky. The last 6 weeks since she's been out of brumation, she has only eaten 2 small nightcrawlers. Tonight, she gobbled down 3 large nightcrawlers. Will try some pinkies tomorrow. That leave 1 snake not eating. Data, was a late late fall acquistion. She took pinkies at first and has eaten all winter long. She's been off fed for about 4 weeks. With the weather changing for the warmer, I think she'll get back to eating soon.
Lucky's eating, I'll sleep much better tonight.

anji1971
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
That's great news, Steve! I worry everytime one of mine refuses even one meal, so you must be very relieved!

guidofatherof5
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
That's great news, Steve! I worry everytime one of mine refuses even one meal, so you must be very relieved!

I was feeding one of my other big girls(Spot)when I saw a very quick head movement from Lucky. I had a feeling she was ready. Yesterday, she ignored the offer. I know this is Gabby's snake but I've never seen a snake like her. Absolute trust from her. No startle response. Calm and a joy to have around. I would be heart broken if she were to die.

anji1971
03-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Sounds like my Deejay. They're the kind that even snake-wary people grow to like. Very special indeed........:)

Scott E.
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
well, I brought the female out of brumation and the male didn't even let her warm up before he was all over her. Then they both ate, and the male has shed. I guess that they had some pent up hormones to take care of before dinner...:D.

anji1971
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, that sounds promising! ;)