PDA

View Full Version : Vet. Visit

guidofatherof5
03-05-2009, 09:31 PM
2 days ago while doing a complete visual check on all my radixes, I noticed a problem with one of them. Our adult breeding male(Scar). had 4 or 5 belly scales that were colored light pink. They were about 2 inches up from his vent. Last night I checked him and found the scales had changed to a more dark color. Fearing an infection I scheduled an appointment for him today.
The Vet. agreed that it was some kind of infection and was glad I had started treating it with Silver Sulfadiazine. He felt that Scars infection was related directly to the massive scars he has from previous injuries. He said that since he has many missing scales and skin that he is more susceptible to infections. I requested an injectable antibiotic for additional help. He used Gentamicin and said it would be active for 72 hours.
I've moved Scar upstairs so that I can keep a closer eye on him during the healing process. In the past I started a thread about him. He means a lot to our family and I feel I owe him something for all the trouble he's been put through in his life. On the 20 minute ride home he rode wrapped to my hand. He has lost all the psycho behavior he once had. He now trust us and seem to enjoy the attention. We are hoping for the best for our friend. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/4307-hard-tough-life.html

GarterNovice
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Wow Steve. Sorry to hear that Scar is having health issues. Sounds like he'll pull through though which is great. My thoughts are with you and your family.

infernalis
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
That's great Steve.

Get well soon Scar.

http://www.gaydarnation.co.uk/e-cards/get-well-soon.jpg

drache
03-06-2009, 04:09 AM
best wishes for Scar
get well soon

gregmonsta
03-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Fingers crossed for the wee man :)

Snake lover 3-25
03-06-2009, 06:17 AM
get well soon!!!:)

guidofatherof5
03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
*Update*

Scar seems fine this morning. The area in question appears smaller(I will try to post a photo later today) This doesn't appear to be affecting him very much. Same old Scar.

misskris
03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Hope Scar get's well soon. Sending prayers and good vibes :)

olive oil
03-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I hope he has a speedy recovery.
Sounds like he is in good hands;)

Snake lover 3-25
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
glad to hear he's improving:)

Sid
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I hope Scar has a complete and speedy recovery, Steve.

mtolypetsupply
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Get well soon, Scar!

guidofatherof5
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Scar has been unwilling to let me get a photo of his belly. He did let me get this nice close-up. He is doing great and the scales are returning to there original color very quickly. It's still early but I think he will make a full recovery. Daily silver sulfadiazine. Rest(no ladies):D, a couple extra pinkies. He'll be fine.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/good_scar.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
03-07-2009, 08:11 PM
great pic!:D glad he's better!:D

misskris
03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
OHHHH he's beautifull :)

guidofatherof5
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, Scar gave me permission for a couple of photos. If you look at the first photo you will see the main infection. Notice the pinkish area. This is what the infection looked like at first. I feel the infection is systemic in nature, since it appears in more than one place. My Vet. assured me it wasn't. All of these infections occur where he has an old injury. The old injuries are on his sides and back areas. Which once again says systemic to me. He has a lot of old injuries. His attitude and behavior hasn't changed. I don't feel I've seen the worst of this situation. I'm hoping and praying for the best but preparing for the worst. I get a gut feeling this is going to get worse. I hope I'm wrong. He's a great radix.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/scars_infection.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/scars_infection1.jpg

mtolypetsupply
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow, that does look nasty. He's in great hands though, I know he's getting the best of care. If I get sick, I'm coming to your house. :)

drache
03-08-2009, 07:51 AM
you say these are near the sites of old injuries? how old are these injuries?
and this stuff just sort of turned up, starting with the pink areas and then turned kind of crusty?
the reason I'm asking - and I'm not sure that this is even possible in a snake - is because it kind of looks like an old internal hematoma working it's way out
has there been any discharge, or is it just that crusty stuff?

guidofatherof5
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
you say these are near the sites of old injuries? how old are these injuries?
and this stuff just sort of turned up, starting with the pink areas and then turned kind of crusty?
the reason I'm asking - and I'm not sure that this is even possible in a snake - is because it kind of looks like an old internal hematoma working it's way out
has there been any discharge, or is it just that crusty stuff?

We've had Scar for over 2.5 years. All of his injuries were wild ones. All were healed when we found him. On about his 3rd shed he had areas(injury site) where it was just flesh, no skin. They were treated with topical antibiotic and healed. He has shed many times since then without any issues. This new issue has not had any discharge(that I have seen)
Thanks for your interest.

Snake lover 3-25
03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
i hope he gets better for you:)

guidofatherof5
03-13-2009, 10:59 PM
*Update*
Since I don't feel Scar is making any headway on this infection I scheduled him for another Vet visit. The Vet. decided to get an x-ray.
He said that everything looks good other than a little arthritis at one of his injury sites. I was very surprized that he didn't have any spinal damage, considering all the injuries he has.
Maybe I'm being over protective. I just don't want one of those sudden deaths, if I can avoid it.
I feel obligated to this little guy. I guess I need to take a deep breath and step back.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/xray3.jpg

gregmonsta
03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Tough little thing :) fingers crossed. The infection could possibly be more of a skin allergy or tissue building on the scar tissue maybe.

guidofatherof5
03-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Tough little thing :) fingers crossed. The infection could possibly be more of a skin allergy or tissue building on the scar tissue maybe.

The Vet. is leaning more towards growth problems in the scar site areas. Since the skin is actual gone in some of those areas he feels these are prime locations for infection to get in. I love all my snakes but my boy Scar is unique. I was hoping yesterday would be a free day at the Vet since it was just a follow-up to a current problem. I was doing great until the x-ray came in. $39.00 is what they charged. Wondering if that's high, low or average. Anyone else had x-rays done?

Sid
03-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Best wishes to Scar. He's luck you found him and are giving the care he needs.

gregmonsta
03-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Considering what my dentist charges ... I rekon it should work out at 8-12 dollars a sheet.