PDA

View Full Version : Sheds used in schools.

guidofatherof5
02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
This is a 1 week supply of sheds from my radixes. I keep and bag the complete ones. Since I teach in most of the schools in our county I donate them to the science departments. Great way to make good use of them.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/sheds.jpg

infernalis
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
That's great Steve. I have given away a few sheds myself.:D

Snake lover 3-25
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
wow that's only a week worth!!!!!???????? :eek::eek::eek:

drache
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
cool
I usually end up giving them to kids

MasSalvaje
02-27-2009, 01:22 AM
This is a 1 week supply of sheds from my radixes. I keep and bag the complete ones. Since I teach in most of the schools in our county I donate them to the science departments. Great way to make good use of them.

Steve I hope you don't mind me asking this but What do you do with your collection. Is it a breeding project? A wholesale project? An education project? Just a hobby? How do you deal with and stay motivated to care for that many snakes without going broke or burning out? Whatever it is I admire your dedication and the intense care you seem to give each individual animal.

-Thomas

gregmonsta
02-27-2009, 03:32 AM
I still have every complete shed from all of my snakes since I started :)

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 05:38 AM
I still have every complete shed from all of my snakes since I started :)

Wow, that's amazing.

gregmonsta
02-27-2009, 05:59 AM
I have a special box for them :) ... wet and broken sheds are discarded ... I have plans involving my basses, the sheds and varnish ;)

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Steve I hope you don't mind me asking this but What do you do with your collection. Is it a breeding project? A wholesale project? An education project? Just a hobby? How do you deal with and stay motivated to care for that many snakes without going broke or burning out? Whatever it is I admire your dedication and the intense care you seem to give each individual animal.

-Thomas

Yes to all. My breeding project is not specific. I'm not trying to get a specific morph and anything like that. All that I have are natural occurrences.
I guess you could say it's a wholesale project. I won't charge for mine(shipping not included). Just want them to go to caring people.

They do make me smarter or at least more aware of them and how our lives are intertwined. They do educate me, everyday.

Not sure hobbies the best word but it will work.(addiction, maybe)

Motivation has never been a problem for me. It boils down to the fact, their survival is in my hands. If I don't do it right they suffer. That in itself is motovation enough.

With 5 children, the way I care for my snakes will teach my kids responsibilty, compassion, dedication, love. And people say it's just a Garter Snake. Not hardly.
My bills get paid. My kids eat and have clothes. We are provided for everyday:rolleyes:
Good questions, Thomas.

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I have plans involving my basses, the sheds and varnish ;)

Basses ? I hope this isn't one of those questions that makes me look more stupid than I really am.:D It's early in the morning, here.

gregmonsta
02-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Click the link in my sig and you'll get the idea ;)

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Click the link in my sig and you'll get the idea ;)

Yes, that explains it. I'm awake now. Kids left the volume on max. Everyones up. Radixes, neighbors...:eek::D That was great.

gregmonsta
02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
:D lol .... that would definately wake up just about anyone :rolleyes:. I've always wanted to put the sheds onto my basses. Recently there was a guitar released with real snake-skin from farmed pythons (which did annoy me a lot). Using used sheds is the way to go :D and they're all from my babies lol.

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Would you split the shed in half. Top from bottom? If not, how would you get it it lay flat?

gregmonsta
02-27-2009, 07:02 AM
I would be varying what I will be doing with them. For most I'll be splitting the shed up the ventral scales.

reptile3
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Steve, that is awesome... that is alot of sheds!!:eek:

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
when I get nice complete sheds, there is a very easy way to flatten and store them. Take the shed and a small pair of scissors, and cut from the middle of the bottom jaw down the middle of the belly scales to the tail. Lay that flat out on a countertop or a table long enough for the whole thing. Take some water and rub it onto the skin until the entire thing is soaked. Snake skin becomes very fragile when wet, but also you can flatten and straighten it out completely. The I take a towel, blot the excess water off, and fire up the hairdryer and dry completely with that!! the result is a perfectly flat beautiful shed.... and then you can roll them up and store them in baggies like I do!!!:cool:

MasSalvaje
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I apologize before hand but I just throw them away.

guidofatherof5
02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
when I get nice complete sheds, there is a very easy way to flatten and store them. Take the shed and a small pair of scissors, and cut from the middle of the bottom jaw down the middle of the belly scales to the tail. Lay that flat out on a countertop or a table long enough for the whole thing. Take some water and rub it onto the skin until the entire thing is soaked. Snake skin becomes very fragile when wet, but also you can flatten and straighten it out completely. The I take a towel, blot the excess water off, and fire up the hairdryer and dry completely with that!! the result is a perfectly flat beautiful shed.... and then you can roll them up and store them in baggies like I do!!!:cool:

Don't they stick to the counter as they dry? I find many of mine stuck to the water dish inside the enclosure. When I try to remove the dry shed it tears.

Stefan-A
02-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I save the sheds for a few months, then I throw them out. The only shed I've kept, is my first snake's first shed.

guidofatherof5
02-28-2009, 02:14 AM
I save the sheds for a few months, then I throw them out. The only shed I've kept, is my first snake's first shed.

That was a shed from a ? Just curious. I'm a cop. Don't like questions unanswered.:D

Stefan-A
02-28-2009, 02:22 AM
That was a shed from a ? Just curious. I'm a cop. Don't like questions unanswered.:D
And I don't talk to cops.

Okay, it was a red-sided garter.

guidofatherof5
02-28-2009, 02:35 AM
And I don't talk to cops.

Okay, it was a red-sided garter.

Thanks. Now, I can sleep.