PDA

View Full Version : Best diet?

MasSalvaje
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Jumping around to different threads I have noticed that many on this site prefer to use a mixture of food items other than rodents. I was curious to see if it is a convenience and cost issue, or a health issue? If all I feed my garters is pinkies, are they missing out on something they need?

-Thomas

Stefan-A
02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Feeding them rodents is the most convenient, but also the most expensive alternative. A mixed diet is hopefully going to prevent health problems caused by a lack of calcium, the presence of thiaminase (in uncertain cases), or excess fat. Some do consider rodents to contain too much fat and it's been said that pinkies don't contain enough calcium. Right now, all of my garters run on rodents, because I'd like to fatten them up after the winter.

It's all three, I suppose. Convenience, cost and health issues.

adamanteus
02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I use a varied diet (approx. 50% fish, 45% rodent, 5% earthworm) for several reasons;
Cost must be a consideration, and pinkies are expensive. Pinkies are indeed high in fat and low in calcium. Earthworms may contain essential trace elements not found in the other two foods.

I hope that providing a varied diet I am 'covering all the bases'.

And_Lyn
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I hate to hijack this thread...but where can earthworms be bought that are acceptable to feed to garters? A bait store?

-Lyndsey

MasSalvaje
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I hate to hijack this thread...but where can earthworms be bought that are acceptable to feed to garters? A bait store?

-Lyndsey

I have wondered that myself.

It isn't a problem for me to offer a varried diet so I guess it is better safe than sorry, I had just always heard that pinkies with the backend dipped in a quality calcium powder was a complete diet. Another question I have is about the type of fish. It drives me nuts when I hear pet stores recommend goldfish but how many other fish fit into the same category? I breed Platties and find it cost effective and fast just to scoop some out and put them on a dish, I also fish a lot and really do not like fish at all so I could give them trout slices. Are Platties a safe fish to feed to Garters? Which is better between the two?

-Thomas

adamanteus
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I use trout and salmon, nothing else. There are undoubtedly other safe fishes, but there seems to be a constant debate as to which are safe, which are unsafe and which are almost nearly maybe safe. Trout and salmon are safe without question, they're also nutritionally good (maybe a little fatty), easily obtainable, cheap......

And_Lyn
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
And where can earthworms be bought? :)

adamanteus
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
P.S. I use powdered cuttlefish bone and a good quality multi-vitamin supplement approx. every fourth feeding.

Stefan-A
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Are Platties a safe fish to feed to Garters?
If I remember correctly, they aren't.

I use rainbow trout and vendace, both known to be safe. This summer I'm going catch a few perch and see if the snakes find them acceptable.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I have veered toward a varied diet consisting of fishes (salmon, trout, guppies, blacknose dace, silversides), earthworms, frog legs and rodents. A few months ago I went fishing and we were using chicken gizzards, when we got done we still had a bunch left... and we had nothing to do with them, so i offered them to the garters, can you beleive every single one of them loved it and they are none the worse for wear. Variation is key... I have have seen way too many obese adult garter snakes at shows fed on purely mice... it makes me sick to look at them. Many snake keepers just see it as a convenience to feed them what all of their other snakes are eating. I only use rodents about twice a month now... my garters, eat twice per week, sometimes three depending on if i get bored on some random day and decide they would like a treat. They are all robust, healthy, fast growing snakes! Garters can easily live their entire life on just safe fishes and earthworms, just remember to supplement vitamins and calcium! Trout is my favorite, salmon is my second, and I'll only use tilapia in my gelatin mixture if they don't have trout. The gelatin mixture is actually a complete diet in it's own, complete with calcium and vitamin supplement, but i still prefer to vary it up. They don't need the rodents, they are just convenient to use is all. Honestly, there is no bonafide 'best" diet, what works for me doesn't work for everyone else. you just need to ensure that the snakes are growing, maintaining weight, pooping normally and are overall healthy individuals.

jitami
02-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Walmart in the sporting department, bait stores, etc. Make sure you're getting nightcrawlers and not red wigglers.

misskris
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Most Petsmarts carry nightcrawlers. If they aren't out in a frig ask an assc. to check and see if yours carries them. Wal-Mart and bait stores generally carry them, although around here they don't keep them in stock during the winter.

MasSalvaje
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
If I remember correctly, they aren't.

I use rainbow trout and vendace, both known to be safe. This summer I'm going catch a few perch and see if the snakes find them acceptable.

Not to sound like I am doubting you at all but does that mean Guppies are also unsafe? They are from the same live bearing family.

I don't mean to cross threads on this one but I am interested to see how my snakes would take to the trout gelatin. The hard part will be convincing my wife of the idea of trout jello in the freezer.

-Thomas

infernalis
02-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Sporting goods at Wal mart, bait shops, etc....

I buy night crawlers and chop them up.

adamanteus
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
The whole concept of buying worms still confuses me.... especially if you only have one snake to feed. Just collect a few from the garden or locally. To me it's like asking 'Where can I buy rain?' Just go outside and pick some up.:)

Snake lover 3-25
02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
i buy night crawlers and leave them for as long as possible in the fridge without feeding them off.... i put a few mouse feet and a piece of lettuce in about once a month..... i started out with 24 big ones and now i've got lots and lots of worms of all sizes!!! and best of all i know none have pesticides!!!

guidofatherof5
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
The whole concept of buying worms still confuses me.... especially if you only have one snake to feed. Just collect a few from the garden or locally. To me it's like asking 'Where can I buy rain?' Just go outside and pick some up.:)

I wish I could go outside and get some but we're frozen solid here in Iowa. I have to buy. I need too many to store them from the season before. I usually have about a month supply saved from my backyard. Then I'm forced to buy.

Snake lover 3-25
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
steve, with the # of snakes you've got why not just keep a 5 gallon sized plastic bin out in the garage? (cold keeps them alive longer...) just feed them lettuce and a few mice every month and spray it down every so often and you'll have a colony going in no time!!!:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Not to sound like I am doubting you at all but does that mean Guppies are also unsafe? They are from the same live bearing family.

-Thomas

Guppies are safe.

Platies and guppies are actually in the same genus!!! It's weird because mollies look a lot like platies, but they are not in the same genus as the other two. I was wondering about that also, but chose not to say anything. I thought that platies were labled safe.... but I know someone came into our forums and said they had a bad expierience with platies, and maybe Stefan was just remembering that?

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM

well... here, right now the ground is frozen... and so.... I for one cannot see myself finding a single worm outside right now! haha! Walmart has always had them here but not too long ago they ran out, and I NEEDED them (as in, my albino dekay's snake will starve without them, he only eats worms and wormy smelling pinky pieces).... I had to go to the specialty shop and pay 8 freaking dollars for a container of two dozen worms :mad::mad::mad:

guidofatherof5
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
steve, with the # of snakes you've got why not just keep a 5 gallon sized plastic bin out in the garage? (cold keeps them alive longer...) just feed them lettuce and a few mice every month and spray it down every so often and you'll have a colony going in no time!!!:)

No garage! Too cold here to leave outside. This year I stored about 200 worms from the last day I could collect them. No time to raise a colony since they are eaten-up so fast.
Anyway, it's good for the economy that I have to buy them. Just doing my little part to make things better for everyone.:D

Snake lover 3-25
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
lol this economy sure does need some work doesn't it!!!!:)

And_Lyn
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM

I'd rather buy them. Better safe then sorry. Plus I'm not big on digging around in the dirt

guidofatherof5
02-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd rather buy them. Better safe then sorry. Plus I'm not big on digging around in the dirt

Wait until you get a good rain. Get them off the grass(no dirt) Just make sure no chemicals were used there. Don't get them from the street. That run-off is filled with oils and chemicals off vehicles.

And_Lyn
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Wait until you get a good rain. Get them off the grass(no dirt) Just make sure no chemicals were used there. Don't get them from the street. That run-off is filled with oils and chemicals off vehicles.

That's my point. I live in an apartment. So I would hav no idea if chemicals were used on the grass. Or any grass nearby for that matter. Thats why it'd be easier for me to buy them;)

guidofatherof5
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
That's my point. I live in an apartment. So I would hav no idea if chemicals were used on the grass. Or any grass nearby for that matter. Thats why it'd be easier for me to buy them;)

I didn't know that. Looks like you'll have to buy them until another solution arises.