PDA

View Full Version : Feeding outside of tank

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Andrew and I were wondering if it's better to feed outside of the tank? I've seen lots of pics and videos online of people feeding their garters in plastic tubs. We were planning on doing that also. I know that some species can get "tank aggressive" when fed in their homes. Does that happen with garters?

We're also planning on using a jungle mix substrate. It's kind of a mix of mulch like material and wood chips. I just want to make sure that when feeding there is NO chance of impaction if she were to get some of the substrate on her food. We also have a leoaprd gecko and use tile in his tank for that reason

Anyway, if anyone could give input I'd appreciate it. Or if the substrate we are planning on using isn't the best, please let us know also

-Lyndsey

Lori P
02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Because my garters are not very tame, I personally don't feed them outside of the tanks (moving them stresses them, and then they won't eat). So, I use a substrate that is safe if ingested (Carefresh). But everyone has their own way of doing things. I think the jungle mix is a fine substrate for living in, but you're right, you wouldn't want them to ingest it so you might have to work on feeding outside the tank.

gregmonsta
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I use a combination of carefresh and repti-carpet :) .... you could always put paper towel over the substrate at feeding times ;)

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I use a combination of carefresh and repti-carpet :) .... you could always put paper towel over the substrate at feeding times ;)

That's a good idea. What does the carefresh look like? I've heard lots about it and am thinking about using it. We've tried repti carpet with our gecko but didnt like the look of it

adamanteus
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
I can't help on the substrate question, as I don't use 'loose' substrate. But I always feed by Garters in their vivs, I've never seen aggression from them in the way you describe.

crzy_kevo
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
unless you can count the occasional food fight just keep an eye on them :D

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I can't help on the substrate question, as I don't use 'loose' substrate. But I always feed by Garters in their vivs, I've never seen aggression from them in the way you describe.

Sorry, to clarify I meant other species of snakes and reptiles

prattypus
02-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Mine all eat seperated. There was a pretty good food fight early on, so I put the kibosh on that.

infernalis
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Your little scrub has always been fed outside the tank.

She eats in a small plastic tub, and will take food right off the tongs for you.

She has even eaten while being held.:D

crzy_kevo
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
lol that is everything she needed to know

turk my juvi male actually ate while being held today i was surprised how calm he is getting, he is normally very skittish

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Your little scrub has always been fed outside the tank.

She eats in a small plastic tub, and will take food right off the tongs for you.

She has even eaten while being held.:D

Holy moly...

I didnt even think of asking you :rolleyes:

Haha...thanks Wayne! Andrew is even more excited now lol

guidofatherof5
02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I use crushed corncob substrate. The good part is the fact it's very absorbent and keeps any odors down. The bad part is small pieces that can be swallowed. I hand feed all of mine, once they've taken the food I pick them up. Since I have large groups, fights are also an issue. Holding them while they eat stops any fight from ever starting. Corncob also clumps the waste together for easy removal. One other problem with this stuff is the fact it will mold very quickly if it gets wet. It requires daily monitoring.

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I use crushed corncob substrate. The good part is the fact it's very absorbent and keeps any odors down. The bad part is small pieces that can be swallowed. I hand feed all of mine, once they've taken the food I pick them up. Since I have large groups, fights are also an issue. Holding them while they eat stops any fight from ever starting. Corncob also clumps the waste together for easy removal. One other problem with this stuff is the fact it will mold very quickly if it gets wet. It requires daily monitoring.

I noticed that in some of your pics. I actually thought it was smooth gravel lol

infernalis
02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I gave in today and bought a bag of that generic carefresh at wally world.

I have a few snakes that need to be separated, and I couldn't wait around for an aspen shipment.

Not bad stuff, it's just ugly! Looks like regurgitated newspaper.

Snake lover 3-25
02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
lol

i have been getting lazy and feeding mine in the cage and i have noticed that they are amazingly less tame than normal... they keep trying to go after my fingers:( lol but they're fine once i pick them up..... lol silly things:p

reptile3
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Do what you think is best, or what is comfortable with you.

I feed in the tank, as far as substrate... papertowels,newspaper.. not much fun for the garters to hide.. So I use Carefresh, & they love it. I use alittle more than some. But I am home alot, so after they go"potty" I am cleaning it out. So the carefresh last longer..

:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I use Kittysoft newsaper pellets. Very cost effective stuff. Its incredibly clean, dust free, super absorbent and the pellets are big and heavy and don't really stick to food. I feed all of my snakes in their enclosures, off my tongs. Never had a problem with cage aggressiveness, most likely because my snakes do not get the chance to associate my hands with food because I use tongs for feeding. I normally watch every snake that is eating until it has finished to ensure that nothing extra is being swallowed. if for some reason I need to move quickly or be elsewhere while they eat, I wet a paper towel and lay it on top of the bedding, and lay the food on top of that. I wet it so that it does not stick to the food and remains in its place while they eat.

mtolypetsupply
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I feed mine in tubs. I want to know who eats what, (apparently they don't want worms anymore, though! lol). They are kind of moody lately and want to be secret about their eating, and don't want to eat from my hand. They'll take it, but drop it.

I use the cypress bedding. Mine seem to like that it holds a bit of humidity. Now with the dry winter air, they're buried in it all the time. I have never (knock wood) had a bad shed, even before I started offering a humid hide (and when I don't get to wetting that down), and they have no blister or scale rot, as I don't keep it sopping wet. The poo isn't that easy to find, but if you look you WILL find it.

I have to bake up some more leaves for them, too. They really liked rustling around in them.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I feed mine in tubs. I want to know who eats what, (apparently they don't want worms anymore, though! lol). They are kind of moody lately and want to be secret about their eating, and don't want to eat from my hand. They'll take it, but drop it.

I use the cypress bedding. Mine seem to like that it holds a bit of humidity. Now with the dry winter air, they're buried in it all the time. I have never (knock wood) had a bad shed, even before I started offering a humid hide (and when I don't get to wetting that down), and they have no blister or scale rot, as I don't keep it sopping wet. The poo isn't that easy to find, but if you look you WILL find it.

I have to bake up some more leaves for them, too. They really liked rustling around in them.

I love reading how much you love those two, and I love that I midwifed them and got them on their feet (no pun intended) and now get to watch them grow up and be happy even more!!!

Stefan-A
02-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I've started feeding mine outside the enclosure for safety reasons, the wandering garters I have are extremely aggressive feeders. This has not completely prevented them from causing problems once returned to the enclosure, but it has made it a lot easier to control those little killing machines.

I never had any of them actually turn aggressive when they were being fed in their enclosure, but a 104 gram wandering garter doesn't necessarily know (or care about) the difference between a mouse and a 147 gram wandering garter that smells like a mouse.