PDA

View Full Version : Bite!!

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I was reading a thread somewhere on here....someone was looking for a series of photos charting the effect of a Rattlesnake bite. I can't help with that, but the following series of pictures shows the development of a spider bite (Amourobious similis) over a 72 hour period. The effect of the haemotoxins/cytotoxins can clearly be seen. A Rattler (or other viper) bite would be similar, only on a massive scale! Yes, the finger is mine. And yes, I did die! Incidentally, Amourobious similis is considered harmless...tell that to my grieving widow!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/DSCF0001.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/DSCF0004.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/DSCF0012.JPG

abcat1993
02-23-2007, 06:35 PM
AAAGGHH, jeez, put a warning or something.

I'm off to the bathroom to go throw up...

Gyre
02-23-2007, 07:00 PM
OMG. 0__0;

Ok.. The face I'm making right now is... Yuk. Anyway.. I don't want to get bitten by that!

Thamnophis
02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Almost thirty years working in healthcare makes that does pictures do not that much to me :p

Do not know the spider, but not that harmless, I think. :eek:

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
The spider is really common in the UK and Europe. I didn't intend to shock, only to illustrate the effect of haemotoxins.

abcat1993
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
What type of spider is that? I mean, that's disgusting. Does that happen every time you get bitten, or is that just if you let it suck on you for a while and don't do anything?

Thamnophis
02-23-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/spiderbites/images/am-similis_8381_1.jpg

I´ve looked it up and I know the spider. It lives in Holland to.

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
That's the one! Real common, I don't think it has a common name, I only know it as Amourobious similis. It has a bigger and nastier cousin, Amourobious ferox, I don't intend to let that one bite me though!

Gyre
02-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Ok, I've had a miute to compose myself. :p
Well, it's in the funnel web family .. Though, that's the extent of my spidy-sense, I know we have simalar spiders here. My friend has a comunity web in her barn. Looks like a three-foot tornado. Eek. Imagine what fourty or fifty could do. :confused:

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 07:45 PM
No, it's not a funnel web..... They belong to the Theraphosidae (not true spiders) along with the so called tarantulas. Amourobious is a "true" spider (Aranea), it's just a little inconspicuous thing. Boringly enough though, I could tell you the whole life history and taxonomy if you could stay awake long enough! We have no funnel-webs or trap-door spiders in the UK.

Ok, I've had a miute to compose myself. :p
Well, it's in the funnel web family .. Though, that's the extent of my spidy-sense, I know we have simalar spiders here. My friend has a comunity web in her barn. Looks like a three-foot tornado. Eek. Imagine what fourty or fifty could do. :confused:

abcat1993
02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I've seen my fair share of funnel webs.

Agh, ew...

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 07:51 PM
See, I thought funnel-webs were Australian.... That's why it's best to use latinised names, it avoids that regional confusion. I think what you're referring to is we what Brits would call a trap-door spider.

Cazador
02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Woah... nice pictures James! It's amazing how fast the necrosis set in!
Rick

Gyre
02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Not the funnel web spider specifically, but of that type. I've heard trap-door as well, basically, anything that makes that type of web.

I've never been biten by one, but my brother has, and warned me to steer clear of them.

CrazyHedgehog
02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
this one is usually commonly known as the garden spider, often has really pretty markings on its back..and yes I thought they were harmless too until I got bit! usually, the smaller ones can't break the skin, then when they do, sometimes thats all they do, just like a little nip..
and then when you get bit by a big one...ouch, yes thats the same sought of effect I had..

Gijs & Sabine
02-24-2007, 12:13 PM
What a nasty bite:( It looks really painfull.

I agree with you Adamanteus, the taxonomy of spiders is really confusing. The Amaurobious similis that has bitten you is a member of the family Agelenidae, in Holland we call them "trechterspinnen", translated in English that would mean funnel web. But the real funnel webs are absolutely not related to our "dutch trechterspinnen". The real funnel webs belong to the primitive spiders, Orthognatha family.
Did you all understand that :confused: I hardly can:p

adamanteus
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, I understand, but here's where it gets really confusing......
Amaurobious doesn't belong to the Agelenidae. It's Coelotes terrestris (which was formally classified as Amaurobious terrestris) that belongs to this group. The current Amaurobious (formally classified as Ciniflo) belongs to the Cribellatae.

Gijs & Sabine
02-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, I think that you know a lot more about spiders than I do;)

adamanteus
02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Didn't mean to sound "smart", but with British and European spiders I'm in my "comfort zone"!!

James.