PDA

View Full Version : First Loss

prattypus
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, as I sit in a class in LA, I find out that one of my small red-sideds decided to call it in. I don't know what happened. I left, and all were good, except Ember and her injuries, (which are on the mend) and now I am one little one less.

I am a bit numb. I wasn't there to see it, so I feel quite removed. It freaked my nephew out, because he was helping my brother feed them, and he was the one that found him.

He was eating, but not as much as the others. I wonder if this is one of those failure to survive deals...
..but he was eating. I just don't get it.

gregmonsta
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear it mate.

Sid
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, Jason.:(

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. It's always hard losing one.

crzy_kevo
02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
sorry for your loss :(

infernalis
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Condolences Jason. It sucks. Been there done that.

prattypus
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the condolences. I feel bad that I don't feel worse. I think if I had found him, I would have been a wreck. Last time I was in Iraq, one of my mutts got out of the yard, and had a fight with a car. He was Franken-pup for awhile, but recovered. Since I wasn't at home, it was a very disconnected type of mourning. Deja Vu.

Lori P
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
So sorry, Jason. It really does suck.

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Jason,

Was your snake a newborn? Failure to thrive usually occurs in newborns. Not established eaters. I once had a newborn that started to eat then went off food and died. This was all within 1 month of its birth.
One of the hardest parts to having these guys is the unexplained deaths that occur. Everything going fine and you find a snake dead. Totally unexpected.
There is so much we don't know about them.

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
so sorry for your loss....:(

Thanks for the condolences. I feel bad that I don't feel worse. I think if I had found him, I would have been a wreck. Last time I was in Iraq, one of my mutts got out of the yard, and had a fight with a car. He was Franken-pup for awhile, but recovered. Since I wasn't at home, it was a very disconnected type of mourning. Deja Vu.

i know the feeling....:(

mtolypetsupply
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Sorry for your loss. :(

jitami
02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
So sorry Jason... sometimes we just have to disconnect to get through things... you're likely used to doing this to get through the worries of going to Iraq, being away from family, etc. It's a survival instinct and has it's purpose. No need to feel guilty.

ssssnakeluvr
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
sorry for your loss :(

Aundrea
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
So sorry for your loss :( I loss Swiper my Red Sided last week and I found him in the tank not moving. I really sucks seeing them not moving :(

prattypus
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Jason,

Was your snake a newborn? Failure to thrive usually occurs in newborns. Not established eaters. I once had a newborn that started to eat then went off food and died. This was all within 1 month of its birth.
One of the hardest parts to having these guys is the unexplained deaths that occur. Everything going fine and you find a snake dead. Totally unexpected.
There is so much we don't know about them.
Nope, not a new born. He was a few months old. He was an eater before. Never with the gusto of the girls, but he ate at a constant rate. Not convulsions, nada. I will have to question my brother further to see if I can get any more info. Trying to debate if I should try and get an autopsy done, or what. I won't be back for three weeks.... dammit.

olive oil
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear that Jason:(

reptile3
02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Jason, sending my condolences... I too had a red sided pass on after a few weeks having him.:(

Stefan-A
02-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Sorry to hear that.

drache
02-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Jason, I'm so sorry
and I can definitely understand the disconnect - your mind protecting you from grief, and it just not being real if you don't see it

And_Lyn
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear that :(