PDA

View Full Version : Flippin cat plus reptile tanks= UGH!

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
When we got our leopard gecko our cat decided that the tank was the cool place to sit. Unfortunately her chubby butt started ripping the screen so I no longer let her in the bedroom. She is a big "talker." She's always meowing. Anyway, she would sit at the bedroom door and meow her head off until I either distracted her or opened the door. I have no idea why it was such a HUGE deal in her little universe to get into the bedroom. Then when we got the keelback we also got a small tank for feeder minnows. Our cat about had a heart attack when she saw them. Of course she wanted to sit on the dresser and try to get them. Even though we returned the keelback we still have the feeders. We also have a fish tank on the kitchen counter that she likes to sit on. That one I dont mind so much since its a hard plastic dome thing...but I still make her get down. Anyway...we're moving at the end of the month and I want to make the little "dining room" niche in our new apartment the reptile/fish tank area. I just dont know if it's gonna work. I already know shes going to be trying to get onto the dang tanks. I especially dont want her jumping up there because I'm sure she'll knock the heat lamps off and I already know she'll tear the screens. Plus...if she somehow manages to open the screen a tad I'll have a lost snake on my hands. So today I opened the bedroom door. I figured if I let her in there to explore a bit and let her have access to where the tanks are...she'll get over it. NOT SO MUCH! Ugh! I've already had to give her a light smack on the bottom to make her get down. This is so annoying. I dont want to keep the tanks in the bedroom anymore but I guess it's unavoidable. Cats disgust me with their "everything is about me" attitude :mad:. Oh, and we've tried the water bottle method. She'll just sit there on the counter or next to the tank and squinch her eyes shut as you squirt her :rolleyes:. It worked the first few times but now she doesnt care

Anyone have any tips before I ship her off to Timbuktu?

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Heck, if she wants the minnows so bad, put her in the tank(not a cat lover).
Just so you know, minnows are bad for Garters. A little something call thiaminese. Will kill a garter after awhile. Guppies, salmon, tilapia, trout. All on the good list as long as it's not a product of China(personal opinion) Check out the "care sheet" on the home page. You'll be up to speed in no time.

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Just so you know, minnows are bad for Garters. A little something call thiaminese. Will kill a garter after awhile. Guppies, salmon, tilapia, trout. All on the good list as long as it's not a product of China(personal opinion) Check out the "care sheet" on the home page. You'll be up to speed in no time.

Yea...we found that out after we got them. One care sheet we found online had them listed alongside the other acceptable foods. We're gonna take the minnows back, just havent had a chance yet. But thank you for the advice :)

jitami
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but we figured out that our cat can't/won't climb or jump over a 48" high metal dog exercise pen. We were using it for the dog, of course, but noticed that the cat wouldn't go over it. You could use one or two panels as a "gate" to the dining room. Our cat theoretically *could* climb it, but won't.... maybe because it wobbles a bit? May be worth a try? Still kinda sucks, but may be better than having to keep the tanks behind closed doors.

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
There's been plenty of posts recently, regarding cats and snakes. As a rule the snakes don't comeout to healthy. Or even found. My dog could care less about my snakes. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they(dogs) have and will cause problems but as a rule I think a cats curious nature and stubborn attitude is a bad mix with snakes.

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Yea plus cats dont listen when you tell them no. I guess I could just shoot her with the BB gun when she jumps up there :P

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but we figured out that our cat can't/won't climb or jump over a 48" high metal dog exercise pen. We were using it for the dog, of course, but noticed that the cat wouldn't go over it. You could use one or two panels as a "gate" to the dining room. Our cat theoretically *could* climb it, but won't.... maybe because it wobbles a bit? May be worth a try? Still kinda sucks, but may be better than having to keep the tanks behind closed doors.

Hmmm I might try that. Im desperate at this point. I'd like to be able to use our dressers for something other than reptile tanks. Thanks

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm a cop and could loan you a Tazer. Now, I'm in trouble.....:mad:

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm a cop and could loan you a Tazer. Now, I'm in trouble.....:mad:

Oooh!! I'll pay for shipping!!!

infernalis
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Your thread reminded me of this...

http://www.dekayi.info/1/silver.jpg

GarterNovice
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice pic Wayne:) And back to the thread at hand. My wife and I have four cats. Two of them are very outgoing and were very interested in the recent addition to our family. That being our pet Ribbon and his 20 gallon long. At first they were doing the same thing and actually trying to chase him with their paws when he would slither around. Probably thought he was a string of some sort. However, through repeated dousings with a spray water bottle and the addition of a hood lamp on the screen this has all but stopped. I do occasionally see them sitting on our bed staring at the tank, but I'm pretty sure they don't jump up there anymore.

infernalis
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Silver has been a really great cat, She will sit in the reptile room staring into cages all day.

I have even been known to leave the covers off the mouse colony boxes (Airing them out) and she won't even bother them.

My now deceased Felix (Nicknamed "Rambo") would have slain them all.

When Silver got into that tank, she didn't harm a single snake, I did freak out for a minute.

mtolypetsupply
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it all depends on your cat, whether you want to try to train them or keep them off the area. There are products out there to set up boundaries for your animals, indoor and outdoor. I'll poke around into my suppliers and see if there's a cat product available, I know they have cat radio fence for outdoors.

You can try to make the lids cat proof and strong enough to withstand the weight of the cats, or build a bigger cage around the enclosures, so the cat can't even get to them.

you can also try all sorts of home methods that involve making the cat uncomfortable. For example, put lots of pieces of tape upside down on where the cat goes. The tape will stick to the cat, cat will HATE it, and hopefully stop going on there. Or the cat will just figure out that sooner or later, all the tape will be stuck to it, go lick/bite the tape off, and now hop up on the tapeless surface. Don't use super-sticky stuff, just clear packing or scotch tape.

There are some sound aversion products too, cat hops up, sound goes off, cat runs away.

It's all about budget and what inconvenience you are willing to deal with either long term, or intense until the cat gets with the program.

Lori P
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I think it's a matter of just being extra cautious. Respect and understand your cat for who he is, and don't blame him for reacting to the huge temptation that you've put before him. I've recently learned the hard way that ALL reptile tanks should have reinforced tops. You won't stop your cat from getting on top of them (unless you have a reptile room); cats love that warmth. So make a good solid top for your reptiles and understand that it is up to you to protect your reptiles. I'm still sick over loosing Esme but I also understand it was my fault, not the cat who laid on her tank for the warmth of the heat lamp. All my tanks have now been double and triple checked and reinforced, and everyone is happy.

reptile3
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
my cats are good with all my reptiles, yeah they are curious... but they see the spray bottle, & sometimes RUNS, & other times just sit there. My Ginger is intrigued by the iguana.. she sits next to his tank!

Ginger likes all my reptiles, she is curious. Jake he is like, ok a different animal, sniff & ok i am done. I used to find Kimmie(my old Siamese cat) on top of the bearded dragon cage, then ginger did too. so that lid is all messed up.

Sorry your cat is being that way, all these new creatures, the cat is very curious!! Try tapping your cat on the nose & say NO!!!

My cats like my flowers when I get some.. I told them no, tapped them on the nose. they don't anymore..LOL I have to hide cat treats though, the cats will rip them OPEN!

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
you could try putting tape sticky side up on the top of the tank..... just in random spots..... after getting stuck a few times she should stop trying.... i've heard that putting tinfoil over things like plants scares the cats away too.... that should work..:)

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
o ha ha stephi beat me to it lol that's why you read all the replies before posting lol

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I will try them. I've tried the water bottle, the nose tapping, the light butt tap...nothing works lol. My cat is a little brat

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
yeah mine too lol thankfully my tank is up too high mow and she can't reach it lol i'd try the tape or tinfoil.....:D

And_Lyn
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
yeah mine too lol thankfully my tank is up too high mow and she can't reach it lol i'd try the tape or tinfoil.....:D

I'll try it once we move. We're gonna keep the tanks in our room for now and just keep the door closed. Thanks :)

infernalis
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I think it all depends on your cat, whether you want to try to train them or keep them off the area. There are products out there to set up boundaries for your animals, indoor and outdoor. I'll poke around into my suppliers and see if there's a cat product available, I know they have cat radio fence for outdoors.

We had a cat that constantly jumped up on counters and such.

I bought the radio fence and collar, then strung the wire in the ceiling.

Then I set the transmitter for 3 feet, and sure enough it worked great, whenever that cat got within a yard of the ceiling, the collar activated, and the cat jumped down to the floor.

You can also use it to keep them out of any given room simply by running the wire around the door jam.

It works very well.

mtolypetsupply
02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I so love how innovative people are. Wayne, I know I've said this before but YOU ROCK!!!!!!

I never would have thought to put the wire in the ceiling to well, lower the ceiling!! That's awesome!!! Keep those innovations flowing!!!1

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sure the cat feels different about his innovations:eek:

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
lol!!!!!:D

infernalis
02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Well it was a real problem, The cable guy came over (It was Kathy's apartment, an EX) and the cable guy strung cable in the drop ceiling.

The darn cat saw the ceiling panels were movable, and she came home from work one day, the apartment was a wreck!

It seems that kitty was compelled to keep going into the drop ceiling, and it could not support him, he repeatedly kept going in there until nearly every panel was on the floor.

Replacement panels were costing too much to keep up with the chaos, so I HAD to invent some way to stop kitty from going up there.

The side effect was it kept him off the counters, off the top of the fridge, and he suddenly quit pulling all the curtains down.

reptile3
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
We had a cat that constantly jumped up on counters and such.

I bought the radio fence and collar, then strung the wire in the ceiling.

Then I set the transmitter for 3 feet, and sure enough it worked great, whenever that cat got within a yard of the ceiling, the collar activated, and the cat jumped down to the floor.

You can also use it to keep them out of any given room simply by running the wire around the door jam.

It works very well.

I always wondered if you could you use those on cats... hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

infernalis
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Works like a charm!

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd like to rig one of those above my garbage cans.
Do you think the neighbor will notice the new collar I put on his little precious:mad: Darn cat.

infernalis
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Glock makes a great repellent for those Steve. As does Marlin, Winchester, Browning and my all time favorite Uzi

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah, Problem! Noise. Wait. Me Law Enforcement. Silencer. Oh, yeah.

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
you can't shoot a cat!!!!!:eek:

infernalis
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
2 liter bottles, pillows and slightly modified dirt bike mufflers work great for that.

Oh my bad....

Of course I like my 3 inch howitzer, just for dramatic effect, and it drives the neighbors crazy.

you can't shoot a cat!!!!!:eek:

Shanley, neither of us would ever do that sweetie, (see sarcasm thread)

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM

just to clear one thing up, not all minnows are bad for snakes, but fatheads, aka rosy reds or "tuffies", are one of the fish containing the bad enzyme. And... unfortunately, they are usually the only minnow sold at a pet store. Wayne and I have both used blacknose dace, a wild caught minnow local to where we live with great results, and they are thiaminase free! You can probably get very similar baitfish or even those, at a bait shop. If you went that route I would suggest identifying the species and looking it up prior to feeding!;)

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
just to clear one thing up, not all minnows are bad for snakes, but fatheads, aka rosy reds or "tuffies", are one of the fish containing the bad enzyme. And... unfortunately, they are usually the only minnow sold at a pet store. Wayne and I have both used blacknose dace, a wild caught minnow local to where we live with great results, and they are thiaminase free! You can probably get very similar baitfish or even those, at a bait shop. If you went that route I would suggest identifying the species and looking it up prior to feeding!;)

Good point to bring up, Shannon. I guess my comment was from my personal experience. Fatheads and Rosies are all that is available in my area. Thanks for clearing-up my post.:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Good point to bring up, Shannon. I guess my comment was from my personal experience. Fatheads and Rosies are all that is available in my area. Thanks for clearing-up my post.:)

fatheads and rosies are pretty much all that is available to most people at pet stores... so in a way, your cautious advisory is a good thing! I would honestly rather people think that all minnows are bad and opt for guppies, than accidentally use the wrong kind of minnow thinking "some of them are good and these look like the good ones", because to the inexpierienced eye, all minnows look the same!!:eek::cool:

mtolypetsupply
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, Problem! Noise. Wait. Me Law Enforcement. Silencer. Oh, yeah.

What about the rumored "poop gun" that uses low frequency sound to cause human/animals to get sick, poop themselves and never return, don't you have access to that? Point it at the place where they come in the yard, and never worry again!

If you DO have access to that technology, how much would it cost me for you to "accidently" put it in a box with something else I bought off of you? It would be lovely "dog and dog walker" repellent.

I swear, we have the dog-walking-est neighborhood in the world, and it drives my sheltie nuts, which then drives hubby nuts and makes him yell, then that drives me nuts!!!! Darn it, people, you have a YARD. Keep your dogs in it, or walk the one block over so you aren't bothering US, or better yet, take your dogs to the DOG PARK. :mad:

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Don't think I've heard it called the POOP Gun before.

In my younger days I was a Pressure Points Control Tactics instructor. I know where to slap someone to make them lose control of their bladder.
You never want to stand to close to me:eek::D great, now everyone will avoid me at the meeting in July.
I know , I know, you were planning on avoiding me before this post.:D:D

ssssnakeluvr
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
In my younger days I was a Pressure Points Control Tactics instructor. I know where to slap someone to make them lose control of their bladder.

hmmmmm.....could use that at my job..... :cool:

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
It's really kinda neat. Can be done with a very light slap. Something hard to even notice. Unless the video cameras are running.:eek:

ssssnakeluvr
02-17-2009, 10:53 PM
cool.....maybe I will learn that in the POST academy this fall....:rolleyes: I will be going thru the special function officer 5 week course. gotta have it to be a field supervisor here at animal services.....although the county won't recognize it and give us the public safety benefits.....oh well....got a lot of deputies and police officers very willing to come a runnin if I call for help!! :cool:

mtolypetsupply
02-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Wayne,

Please put Steve's "make someone pee themselves" class on the itinerary.

Steve,
You said you've never heard it called the Poop gun. Therefore it exists, heh heh heh. You take paypal????:D:cool::D

drache
02-18-2009, 04:39 AM
I missed this thread when it was still about cats

Lori P
02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve... I'm coming to spend a few days with you. You have much to teach me!!! LOL