PDA

View Full Version : Dark shed question

guidofatherof5
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I've noticed a trend in my darker Radix. They seem to have more difficulty completing a shed and as a rule require my intervention. Have any of you found this trend in your darker skinned garters? Here's one of mine, who repeatedly has trouble. His lighter skinned siblings don't have the same problem.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/dark.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
strange...... it would be a good study for you to do though..... because you do have do many radix............ but as far as i've notices sooty sheds just as well as the rest of my garters...... and she's much darker.......:confused:

adamanteus
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Do you also find that the sloughed skin of the darker specimens is fractionally thicker, Steve?

guidofatherof5
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
James,
What I have noticed is the shed seem to take more effort to get off. As if it's more stuck to the body. My lighter colored Radix seem to shed without much effort. My darker appear to struggle more. As if the skin if more adhered. They also soak much more before a shed then the others.

adamanteus
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I've no answers yet, Steve, but perhaps it's something we can all watch for over the coming weeks?

infernalis
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Not that it may be worth anything, but my 2 dark orange easterns seem to need to soak and shed while wet.

ssssnakeluvr
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
my radix are darker and have no problems with shedding.....

drache
02-19-2009, 06:00 AM
my anery radix (about as dark as they get) shed yesterday with no trouble at all - just crawled right out of his skin - and there's no damp hide in their cage

keelerskiddiecare
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Mrs. Wiggles is fairly dark and when she sheds, she does soak quite a bit and she has a fake hollow tree stump which she always wraps herself through and through to get her shed off. Then we have to try and untangle it from all of the rough corners, so maybe she is also having to work much harder and if she did not have the rough edged hollow stump which she can get it stuck to, she would also be unable to finish on her own???

gregmonsta
03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
My concinnus has never had a problem and there's plenty of black there.