PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shed box.

guidofatherof5
02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I wanted to put this in the thread that talked about saving money on enclosure item but couldn't fine it. Sorry.

Instructions for an inexpensive shed box.

Items needed:
1- Clean 5 quart ice cream container w/lid
2- Clean dish towel or other clean cloth item
3- Hot water from the faucet

Instructions:
Take the clean cloth and soak it with hot water. Wring out most of the water. By the time you place it in the container the temp should be low enough to be safe for the snake(this should be your judgement call)
Now, place the snake in the contained and put the lid on. I do not vent the lid. This way the heat and humidity stay high. After approx. 10 minutes check on the snakes progress. Most of my snakes were shed upon checking the first time(individual results may vary)
The only down side to this procedues is the snake usually poops while inside.
The container is clear enough so that you can see the snakes progress.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/shed_box.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
neat idea!:D

infernalis
02-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Did you mean this one Steve...

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/3359-how-save-money-have-fun.html

Great idea, I just snapped some shed photos of Cheeto, I'll upload them tomorrow.

Or rather, later today after I get some rest.

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Wayne,

That's the one. Thanks. If the powers to be want to move my thread to that one it would be fine with me.

adamanteus
02-14-2009, 08:50 AM
I think this thread is just fine where it is, Steve. The topic might be lost in a larger thread.

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks, James.
Like that great customer service.

Lori P
02-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Steve! I found my leucistic Texas rat snake today going thru a bad shed. I had just read this thread, so I got one of those reusable Glad plastic containers, put a warm damp paper towel in it, and poked a few holes in the top because I was on the way out the door. Left her to go run errands, and when I got home she had shed off perfectly. :-) And felt spunky enough to bite me twice when I took her out.

Awesome timing for this post! Thanks. :-)

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry about the bites.:eek:
My little angel Radixs don't bite:D Maybe that was a Rat snake thank you.:rolleyes:

Lori P
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah... rat snakes do have a, well, different outlook on life. lol Do you know who Jeff Dunham is? He's a ventriloquist... absolutely hilarious... anyway, he has a puppet named Achmed the dead terrorist who's catch phrase is "I kill you!" And that pretty much describes my rat snake's outlook on life. LOL!!!!

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I've seen the routine and it's hilarious.
Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

reptile3
02-14-2009, 07:37 PM
now could I use something similar for my Ball Python?

George, my BIG girl... her eyes are not as bad as they used to be, but she has retaining eye caps. I was told to put her in a container with warm water, & a wash cloth, close the lid for an hour..

a whole hour... i would think the water would turn cold?

Great post Steve... if needed, will try on my snakies!!:)

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Stephanie,

One time, when I was using this system on our BigBig(Radix) I had to swap out cold for warm a couple of times. At the end of her life she wasn't able to move well enough to properly shed. Once I figured this out I had to hand shed her. Personally, I think she would fall asleep in the warm moist container. She was a good old snake. Thank goodness we still have her babies with us. My kids have commented on how you can tell their BigBig's kids.

With regards to the eye caps. I have used a wet, warm cotton hand towel to gently rubs the corner of the eye. In all cases I was able to remove the eye caps. A lot will have to do with the snake letting you do this.

Hope this helps.

reptile3
02-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Steve, yes that helps alot.George lets me do whatever I want to her... I will give that a try!! thanks!!!
:)

With regards to the eye caps. I have used a wet, warm cotton hand towel to gently rubs the corner of the eye. In all cases I was able to remove the eye caps. A lot will have to do with the snake letting you do this.

Hope this helps.

Lori P
02-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Stephanie, if you put the whole shed box back in her tank, the heat in the tank will help keep the towel warm too. Just don't shine the heat lamp right on it, of course.

keelerskiddiecare
03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Awesome info Steve.... will come in handy some day I am sure!

guidofatherof5
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Awesome info Steve.... will come in handy some day I am sure!

Days after the eyes turn back to normal you may see what looks like folds of skin on their sides. If they haven't shed within 24 hours of that I put them in the shed box. 15-30 minutes later you'll have a brand new, clean snake. Works like a charm! This is just the system I've adopted for my radixes. Individual results may vary.