PDA

View Full Version : Musk, scents and other smelly stuff.

adamanteus
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I've just been reading through an old thread all about handling your snakes, and about musk they produce. It got me thinking about other snakes I've dealt with in the past that also produce a musk when alarmed; Copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix)being a prime example, they smell pretty strong but I actually quite like it! Am I weird? Many Rattlesnakes (Crotalus) seem to produce a musk, but it's much more subtle. Then there's Black Mambas (Dendroaspis), they smell really nice, almost scented, but with them it's not a stress thing, they just smell nice all the time! Just thought I'd share some olafactory opinions with you all!

abcat1993
02-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Woah, that's weird. And no I don't mean you, I meant the Black Mambas. Too bad they're poisonous (I think).

adamanteus
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, they are venomous (probably not poisonous, I never ate one!). Beautiful never the less.

Gyre
02-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Eh, I wouldn't describe the scent of musk as 'nice.' I remeber catching a garter once at a picnic, (to save it from some stupid, screaming lady,) and then I couldn't eat my lunch 'cause my hands smelled so bad. =P

ssssnakeluvr
02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
aaahhhhhh.....the lovely smell of musk.......:eek:

Thamnophis
02-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Eh, I wouldn't describe the scent of musk as 'nice.' I remeber catching a garter once at a picnic, (to save it from some stupid, screaming lady,) and then I couldn't eat my lunch 'cause my hands smelled so bad. =P

I do not think that Adamanteus means that the musk of Thamnophis smells nice.
Can't imagine that anyone thinks that this smells ok.

Nice to read that the Black Mamba not only looks fantastic, but also smells great.

adamanteus
02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
No, I was refering to the musk of the Copperhead!!

ssssnakeluvr
02-22-2007, 08:56 AM
hehehe I was being sarcastic.... I have 2 adults garters that musk me every time i clean their cage....the smell just doesn't wash off!!!

drache
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
my garters usually quit musking me after a few times. I don't know whether it's because they get used to me, or because of the cold shower they get every time they do it.

GarterGirl
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Its really too bad that Black Mambas are venomous. I'd love to smell their scent!

adamanteus
03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
If you take your Mum to a local zoo that has Mambas, get yourselves known to the keepers, I'm sure they would let you get "behind the scenes" after a while. It's not necessary to get up close to a Mamba to get the scent...the whole enclosure takes on their scent.

Odie
03-30-2007, 01:10 AM
To me the musk smells like old Alder chips:confused: