PDA

View Full Version : Birth order!

guidofatherof5
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I have seen a pattern take shape with the birth of my Radixs. Stillborns, jellies and deformed are always delivered last. Is this true with everyone else. I've always been curious as to whether this is caused by the fertilization order. Each egg has its on umbillical cord(not sure this is the right word). Are the eggs farthest from the origin the ones that get shorted on nutrients. Are the slugs and underdeveloped fertized later then the others which causes a shorter incubation time? Do the ones farthest away from conception get the weaker sperm? Can anyone direct me to some reading on this subject(Help me out Stefan)

infernalis
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I think that one would be difficult to answer without cutting up a bunch of gravid females.

guidofatherof5
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
That's not what I had in mind. Was hoping some kind of research had been done in this area.

guidofatherof5
02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
It looks like this thread died as soon as it started. Which is okay. Let me ask this question.
For those of you that have witnessed the birth of your Garters, have you seen that the jellies, stillborns and underdeveloped are delivered last?
Just trying to get some questions answered to this problem I see.

Snake lover 3-25
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
i think alot of people missed this... i sure did..... sorry i can't help all 3 of my litters have been free of jellies and stillborns......:)

Sid
02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Steve,
I had this happen both way. On a litterr last year first was a "jelly bean" then 5 healthy babies, another jelly bean, then one more healthy. Another female, 14 healthy babies, then the next day a deformed baby. Another Was all healthy, followed by 2 jelly beans.

guidofatherof5
02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm just trying to see if there is a pattern to this or is it just random.
Thanks for your input.

Snaky
02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm sorry to say, I never have witnessed any of my garters giving birth in real time :(

zooplan
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I´ve recognized that most of the jelly-beans were droped last but not all, but I was only able to watch few births.

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I know and have read nothing with regards to fertilization order. Commonsense tells me that the stongest/fastest sperm fertilize the first eggs in the chain. Leaving the last in the chain for the rest. I know that we are probably talking about millions of sperm and that the chance that the strongest/fastest don't just take over and do all the fertilizing is an arguement. I also wonder if placement in the chain of eggs has an outcome on there success. Are all the eggs given the same amount of nutrients or is there an order to how they are fed. There has to be some kind of order to this process to insure the greatest amount of young are born and born healthy.
This process has weighed heavy on my mind. I don't possess the intelligence or resources to pursue this question much past my simple layman understanding. But I want to. Since taking on the care and welfare of these animals, I feel a need to understand what's going on with them. This is a nagging question that won't go away.

Could the use of prenatel vitimins help in the same way it helps human babies? I don't mean the supps. we use but something developed for this special purpose.

Okay, I've gone on long enough. I feel better, just not enlightened.

Snake lover 3-25
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
well if you were to breed your many snakes steve you could try to catch the births and weigh each baby in the order it came out.... which would tell you whether the largest are first or last ect..... you'd just have to be there to watch the birth......

guidofatherof5
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Great idea, Shanley.

I think I'll pass on it right now. With 5 kids still at home and a house to pay for. That idea will have to come in my later years.