PDA

View Full Version : Hatchlings vs. "neo-nate"??

mtolypetsupply
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if I have my info correct, and also correct terminology.

It's my understanding that although garters appear to be "born live" if you're watching the process, they are actually internally incubated in the egg in the mom. The egg membrane is still present when "born", albeit very thin and not looking at all egg-like. Am I correct in this?

Now, for me, this begs some questions. Are they born or hatched? Are they hatchlings? Neo-nates? Juveniles? When do they transition from hatchling/neonate to juvenile?

I know, I should probably buy a book on this, but I have too many books already, and not enough room for garters so I figured I'd ask y'all!

:)

Stefan-A
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Now, for me, this begs some questions. Are they born or hatched?
Technically hatched, but nobody's going to murder you for saying that they're born.

Are they hatchlings? Neo-nates? Juveniles? When do they transition from hatchling/neonate to juvenile?The word neonate is usually used for animals less than one month of age. Technically, neonate does mean newborn, but most of the time it's used to describe humans less than one month old. Animals are also juveniles from the moment they're born/hatched until they're mature.

Loren
02-04-2009, 12:59 AM
It's my understanding that although garters appear to be "born live" if you're watching the process, they are actually internally incubated in the egg in the mom. The egg membrane is still present when "born", albeit very thin and not looking at all egg-like. Am I correct in this?

Now, for me, this begs some questions. Are they born or hatched? Are they hatchlings? Neo-nates? Juveniles? When do they transition from hatchling/neonate to juvenile?

:)

I did not pay attention in biology class, but as far as I recall from growing up on the dairy, mammals are in a thin membrane during developement as well, which breaks right before or during birth, and they are definitely considered live birth. I've pulled that sack off the mouth of newly born calves many, many times. Then the cats and dogs eat it.:D

I'm not sure what the difference is between them and garters (as far as live birth vs egg birth). I'm sure there is one- I just dont know what it is.

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is between them and garters (as far as live birth vs egg birth). I'm sure there is one- I just dont know what it is.

In ovo-viviparous reptiles there is no ubilical cord... although the babies appear to be born live, they are in fact incubated in a membrane-like 'shell', and delivered at the moment of hatching. There is no physical connection to the mother.

Loren
02-05-2009, 01:21 AM
In ovo-viviparous reptiles there is no ubilical cord... although the babies appear to be born live, they are in fact incubated in a membrane-like 'shell', and delivered at the moment of hatching. There is no physical connection to the mother.

Ah, thanks James.

So, does this mean gravid snakes can smoke and drink without affecting the babies? :D

count dewclaw
02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
So, does this mean gravid snakes can smoke and drink without affecting the babies? :D

You betcha! :rolleyes::eek: Actually, I'm not totally sure about that.....

anji1971
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
You never know............Chili looks like she's had some pretty wild parties out there. Although that might explain a couple of her kids.:D:D

adamanteus
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Sure! Pate and soft cheese are on the menu too!:D

mtolypetsupply
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
The reason I asked is someone posted on fauna classifieds "hatchling/juvie garters wanted". One of the resident "know it alls" had to "correct" them and tell them they were live birth. I knew he was not as smart as he thinks he is. ;)

adamanteus
02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
He's not really wrong..... ovoviviparity is generally referred to as 'live-birth'.

Stefan-A
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
The reason I asked is someone posted on fauna classifieds "hatchling/juvie garters wanted". One of the resident "know it alls" had to "correct" them and tell them they were live birth. I knew he was not as smart as he thinks he is. ;)
It's a false dichotomy, really. I consider his answer more correct than saying that they hatch, provided that he does mean that they don't lay eggs.