PDA

View Full Version : bites!

snakems
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
... I feel like such a pest asking all these questions that probably seem stupid to everyone lol... butttt....

has anyone ever had any experiences with eastern garters biting them?
I ONCE and ONLY Once caught one when I was a teenager, that if i put my finger to it's nose it would open up its mouth like it was barely nipping at me but nothing aggressive really. And even then this wasnt every time. Now I would THINK that wild caught garters would probably be MORE likely to bite or try to bite anyway when handled, but maybe Im wrong. Is this very UNCOMMON for garters to attempt biting or is it just that its coincidence that over time and all the garters Ive caught over the years just never tried to bite me? I guess Im just talking about eastern garters I think because as far as I KNOW (and I guess I wouldnt be the best person to try and take a stab at what kind of garter it was ANYWAY lol) that's all Ive ever caught as far as GARTER snakes go.

I dunno if anyone can really answer this question because it may not be specific enough =/ haha... but i dont know any other way to ask it. :o:confused:

snakems
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
my father says he has had encounters with garters that have bit him before but with me its just never happened lol
I guess this would be best answered by someone who maybe has or has had eastern garters.
I mean I know theyre not ferocious snakes but im curious.

adamanteus
02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
It all depends on the individual Garter... some are biters, but I find that most aren't..... It's always been my experience that even the biters soon settle down and become non-biters. Of course, there are exceptions. And of course most of the Garters I deal with these days are captive bred.

snakems
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
It all depends on the individual Garter... some are biters, but I find that most aren't..... It's always been my experience that even the biters soon settle down and become non-biters. Of course, there are exceptions. And of course most of the Garters I deal with these days are captive bred.

thats interesting because Ive only dealt with wild ones and by comparison it would seem its possible wild garters are less likely to bite. haha though I wouldnt really draw that conclusion at all.
.... maybe its the eastern garters in my area that are just very docile.
The one I have now is adorable. she's never even attempted what I even THOUGHT was a bite (except for the weird thing she did through the glass today). LOL though Im sure Id think the biting was adorable too because Im just crazy like that.

adamanteus
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
At present I have around 40 Garters, only one is an occassional biter (young female Florida Blue sirtalis).

Snake lover 3-25
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
lol most are quite doscile i've found..... esp if you pick them up the right way...... i didn't get bit once this year and i caught 51!!!!!:eek::D

Edit: (nope i lied lol i had 51 that i didn't have last year..... so wow i only actually caught 14 this year!!!! wow it feels like ALOT more than that..... )

dashnu
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
90% of the wild cought up here in Maine bite the crap out of me at first. :D but will calm down to no bitting or musking after a minute or so.

I believe if you are calm snake is calm, may be a bit out there but I really think its true. It's all about the energy ;) the dog whisperer approach!

guidofatherof5
02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
The only biting Garters I've every had were wild caught. All of my babies that were captive breed have never attempted to bite other than striking at food. Never out of fear, defense or being startled. My wild caught that do bite, stop after only a few handlings.

Snake lover 3-25
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
... I feel like such a pest asking all these questions that probably seem stupid to everyone lol... butttt....

lol and don't feel like a pest lol you get everyone talking!!!! lol we've been quiet for the past few months..... i think bc it's winter lol when baby season comes we'll all start to chat lol

dashnu
02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
lol and don't feel like a pest lol you get everyone talking!!!! lol we've been quiet for the past few months..... i think bc it's winter lol when baby season comes we'll all start to chat lol

Yea agreed, im ready for babies and summer!

Hornets23
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I've never had any garter snakes bite me...wild or cb. I have to add though, my sample size is tiny compared to many people here.

adamanteus
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Shanley is absolutely right! You've got us all talking about Garters... which is a refreshing change recently! Ask your questions, Sayra, we're happy to answer.:)

Snake lover 3-25
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Yea agreed, im ready for babies and summer!

me too!!!!! i can't wait for this snow to melt so i can go find some snakes!!!!! i want meadow back lol but at least she'll have babies this year!!!!:eek::D

Hornets23
02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
MEADOW is having babies??

Snake lover 3-25
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
she'd better be!!!!! lol:)

Hornets23
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
That is awesome Shanley! Meadow is gorgeous. She is definitely one of my favorites.

Stefan-A
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
You've got us all talking about Garters... which is a refreshing change recently!
A refreshing and welcome change.

adamanteus
02-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes indeed. Let's see if this can set a president, and we can all get back to what we are about.... Thamnophis.:)

ssssnakeluvr
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I have been bitten by both wild caught and captive bred....depends on each snakes own personality. I have found that wild caught wanderings in general are very mellow, rarely biting.

dashnu
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I have been bitten by both wild caught and captive bred....depends on each snakes own personality. I have found that wild caught wanderings in general are very mellow, rarely biting.

The two boys I have from you are really mellow. My Blacknecks are nuts, my checkereds are skittish.. Its really great how different each type are. Thay all have there own traits.

My CB eastern use to be very very tame. Since she started taking pinks she tries to bite me each time I go in the terrarium. Guess it could be the "energy level" maybe that the pinks give her?

Has anyone else noticed a change in behavior related to food types feed or supplements given? Im going i bit OT i guess.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
When I go herping, I simpyl expect every garter I pick up to bite the crap out of me, if it doesn't, that is all fine and dandy, but if it does, it never surprises me!!!

It's kind of like being attacked by a pin cushion. It has some potential to make you bleed a little bit, but it's funny at the same time.

prattypus
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Woo I am still on my streak of 28 years never been bit! Of course, there's 15 or so years in there that are no contact years, but still. No bites for 09!!!

infernalis
02-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Here is one, Shown before. I picked up a decent size eastern female, she chewed on my hand for a few minutes.

I didn't want to hurt her, so I let her until she tired of it.

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snake/bite.jpg

Loren
02-03-2009, 01:55 AM
I believe if you are calm snake is calm, may be a bit out there but I really think its true. It's all about the energy ;) the dog whisperer approach!
well, there is something to that- in the way that it definitely makes a difference how you approach them and handle them. Making yourself appear to be a threat or not...

Snake lover 3-25
02-03-2009, 05:58 AM
yeah..... the wild ones i do not secure..... i just gently pick them up and let them glide through my fingers...... and if you pick them up around the middle or lower half they also seem less likely to bite..... the only one that ever really got me good was meadow..... and that was because i firmly caught her by the neck..... just a bit too far down to restrain her from biting.... but from how she was the second time i ever handled her and all the rest i think that she was just really really frightened.......

guidofatherof5
02-03-2009, 07:01 AM
In one of my dumber moments(there have been many) I has holding a very angry large wild Radix(named Stubby Tail) too close to my face. He grabbed the end of my nose. My kids broke out laughing. I pealed him off and their eyes got big as the blood started dripping off my nose. There wasn't any pain but those little needle teeth did their job. Stubby Tail lived in our neighborhood and was found around our home a few times a year. Then one day Gabby came in the house crying. She took me out to the street where we found Stubby Tail dead. He didn't look both ways before crossing. The memory of him always brings a smile to my kid's faces.

anji1971
02-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Steve, I can just picture that nose-biting scene. :D
Poor ol' Stubby-Tail. Glad you had some good times with him.
BTW, I love your way of telling stories - makes me smile.:)

snakems
02-03-2009, 07:21 AM
The two boys I have from you are really mellow. My Blacknecks are nuts, my checkereds are skittish.. Its really great how different each type are. Thay all have there own traits.

My CB eastern use to be very very tame. Since she started taking pinks she tries to bite me each time I go in the terrarium. Guess it could be the "energy level" maybe that the pinks give her?

Has anyone else noticed a change in behavior related to food types feed or supplements given? Im going i bit OT i guess.

no way i hear that completely. since we cant ask them! lol

snakems
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
yayy! lol i love when I come back on here and one of my posts had a lot of responses! haha
all of these stories and responses are SUPER INTERESTING. :)
I love hearing them. It's so neat to live vicariously through others HAHA

dashnu
02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
In one of my dumber moments(there have been many) I has holding a very angry large wild Radix(named Stubby Tail) too close to my face. He grabbed the end of my nose. My kids broke out laughing. I pealed him off and their eyes got big as the blood started dripping off my nose. There wasn't any pain but those little needle teeth did their job. Stubby Tail lived in our neighborhood and was found around our home a few times a year. Then one day Gabby came in the house crying. She took me out to the street where we found Stubby Tail dead. He didn't look both ways before crossing. The memory of him always brings a smile to my kid's faces.

Great story minus the sad ending but I would have been right next to your kiddos laughing once I saw "stubby tail" latch onto your nose :D

Snaky
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I also see a little difference in species. For example the cyrtopsis are really relax and have never tried to bite, unless of course when they had to receive some medicin. While the eques are really snapping already when you are just sitting before the glass of the enclosure and they are just right behind it.

infernalis
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Steve - That reminds me of this picture..

http://thebeautybrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/120106-snake-bite.jpg

dashnu
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Hahah, now thats one hell of a bite :D

snakems
02-03-2009, 10:54 AM

ahhhahahahaha..... that picture CRACKS me up so bad.
It probably shouldnt lol :o.... BUT IT DOES!

is this photo real? I've always wondered every time I see it.

snakems
02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
When I go herping, I simpyl expect every garter I pick up to bite the crap out of me, if it doesn't, that is all fine and dandy, but if it does, it never surprises me!!!

It's kind of like being attacked by a pin cushion. It has some potential to make you bleed a little bit, but it's funny at the same time.

lol.... its funny because this is kind of my unhealthy view on MOST things.
I expect the worst so that if it happens I am prepared, but if it doesnt I am pleasantly surprised.
Lol in regard to other things in life it makes for quite a bit of stress though =/ :o:p

snakems
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Woo I am still on my streak of 28 years never been bit! Of course, there's 15 or so years in there that are no contact years, but still. No bites for 09!!!

yup me too!
lol for garter snakes anyway.....
Ive recieved bites from the eastern hogged nose snake in my area and also a small black racer that was OUT of CONTROL aggressive lol
quite interesting. Lots of blood from the racer encounter but not as bad as I had thought it would be lol

snakems
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
anyone reading this post please take a look at my most recent thread lol
I'd appreciate your opinions and ideas :):D

mtolypetsupply
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
My wonderful James will strike from time to time. He latches on, and it feels like really poky velcro. He's so cute!!!!! He's also only 5 months old. I'm sure when he gets bigger it won't be as innocuous, but that is the cross I'll have to bear. :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
yup me too!
lol for garter snakes anyway.....
Ive recieved bites from the eastern hogged nose snake in my area and also a small black racer that was OUT of CONTROL aggressive lol
quite interesting. Lots of blood from the racer encounter but not as bad as I had thought it would be lol

Racer is actually a another name for "ticked off razorblade with scales"

guidofatherof5
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
The Radix that bit me was a lot bigger than the snake in this picture:D

Charlet_2007
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I've been bit so many times i cant count anymore.. :( I see it coming and don't even flinch.. worst bit id have to say was and albino gopher I have.. she don't constrict like my red tails just bite and inhale in one fluid movement.. the teeth are different as well.. they spaced farther between for food intake unlike close together.. or felt like it I thought lol.. When she finly let go it ripped my skin off with her teeth.. yeah I'll never mess with her when she's hungry again lol.. :D

Now I'm waiting for my 14 foot 130 lb behemoth to get her attitude and bite me.. that's the day its bye bye to Natalie lol..

crzy_kevo
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
this past summer i ame across 2 baby garters one was docile and only musked a little bit and the other one was musking so much it ran out of it and it kept trying to bite me but couldn't get its mouth around my hand

in the case of garters they are all individuals sometimes you will find some that are mean and other times some that are so docile they wont even musk it just depends on the individual garter :D

and man i cant wait until some spring/summer herping :D

Odie
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
and man i cant wait until some spring/summer herping :D
Me too :cool: