PDA

View Full Version : Feeding help

GarterNovice
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
So I know I've picked up bits and pieces of feeding tricks and tips to get a snake to eat pinkies. But just so I'm sure I have it right, you dangle the pinky in front of the snake with tongs until they eat it? Is there a certain amount of time I should try each day. Like ten minutes or so? I'm sure eventually he'll eat it. The pet store said that's what they were feeding him so I can only imagine he might just be full at the moment. Any thoughts?

guidofatherof5
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Some snakes you don't have to "Dangle" the food. They will meet you and take it. Others need some time. Each individual snake is well, individual. You'll have to see what works for your snake.
I'm not sure I would try to feed 10 times in one day. These little guys are able to go without food for a good amount of time. Your snake needs to get used to its new life with you. I think trying to force the food issue will only stress him/her out. When they are hungry they will eat.

Lori P
02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Some snakes are shyer, and need you to put the food in the tank and leave them alone before they'll eat. I've got some that won't eat if I'm hanging over the tank watching... like Steve said, they're all different. You might want to try putting the pinky in there and just leaving the snake alone for several hours. Good luck!

Loren
02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Some garters will take rodents on their own, some wont. for those that wont, I prefer to use scenting to get them to start taking pinkies. Rinse the pinky off under warm water to wash some of its own smell off. Take a little of whatever he eats now(fish works well, but I have used worms, slugs, frogs etc.), and rub it all over the pinky.
Now, using your tongs, slowly lower it in front of your snake's nose, and let him smell it. If he acts a little interested but doesnt take it, then give it some slight wiggles and see if that does it.
If this works, then do it this way for a few feedings, then start to decrease the amount of scenting and rinsing, starting by leaving the rear half of the pinky "natural" tasting, so that the garter still strikes and eats because the head tastes like fish or whatever, but the last thing the snake tastes is mouse. This will help him to associate the taste/smell of mouse with food.
Eventually he should take them completley natural.

GarterNovice
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give those a try.

infernalis
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I have one really shy eater, and fussy too.

For her I place a pinky in her water bowl with a couple live guppies.

She almost always gets the pinky before the guppies.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Dangling is the wrong word to use here. If you dangle things in front of a snake, usually, it freaks them out, especially if they are new or shy. Instead, firmly gripping it with a set of tongs and presenting it head first to the snake in front of them and if possible, lower than their own head. Like, on the ground. Snakes hate it when things are dangling around in front of/above their heads!

Unless their name is Bluebie the puget sound garter. With garters like that (she is mine and shes ferocious), it's best to wear thick leather gloves, flick the pinkie into their general vicinity and RUN!!!!!

olive oil
02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
When I first brought in my Eastern I would put her in a shoe box tote with the food and put a towel over her. She is one of the shy ones:) I guess now that she is more comfortable she will eat off the tongs.
It does take some time:)

infernalis
02-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Unless their name is Bluebie the puget sound garter. With garters like that (she is mine and shes ferocious), it's best to wear thick leather gloves, flick the pinkie into their general vicinity and RUN!!!!!

Sounds like Sky:D

He nips at my hands constantly.

Well until I pick him up, then he chills out, But reaching into his tank is an adventure.

http://www.dekayi.info/cool/sky.jpg

brain
02-01-2009, 01:22 PM
But reaching into his tank is an adventure.

My fem Gopher is like that. And huffy ... "Like what are you doing in my space.":mad:

Loren
02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, Like Shannon said- put the food item up nice and slow-and it does seem to work best right below the level of their head.
Then sometimes I move it against their lower lip in a very, very slow and gentle circular motion, if it doesnt freak them out. sometimes they will slowly turn their head sideways and start to eat. That one worked especially well with a rosy boa I was helping to get feeding.

And I have some snakes that only eat from the comfort of their hidebox. I have to enter the cage as quietly as possible, and gently reach the food item into the hidebox with my hemostat, then they will take it. If I disturb them at all- its a no-go.
For those types of snakes, a small, low profile hide works best- one just big enough for them to fit under- makes them feel more secure. Not that this is necesarily what your snake is like- but I thought I'd mention it.

GarterNovice
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks. Stu does have a low lying rock hide I got him. Though he seems to prefer hanging in the vines above his pond recently. Maybe to be closer to the lamps. Who knows. I'm gonna try some of the tricks everyone suggested this afternoon as he seems to have calmed down quite a bit since the last attempt.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, Like Shannon said- put the food item up nice and slow-and it does seem to work best right below the level of their head.
Then sometimes I move it against their lower lip in a very, very slow and gentle circular motion, if it doesnt freak them out. sometimes they will slowly turn their head sideways and start to eat. That one worked especially well with a rosy boa I was helping to get feeding.

And I have some snakes that only eat from the comfort of their hidebox. I have to enter the cage as quietly as possible, and gently reach the food item into the hidebox with my hemostat, then they will take it. If I disturb them at all- its a no-go.
For those types of snakes, a small, low profile hide works best- one just big enough for them to fit under- makes them feel more secure. Not that this is necesarily what your snake is like- but I thought I'd mention it.

the hidebox thing is one I forgot to mention.... I am always sneaking food items into hides and tubes with my tongs. The tongs are my third hand! This worked with a BP that belongs to one of my regular customers that I told her I would help get eating. It did not eat once the entire 2 months since she had it, it took me 3 days (2 attempts) to get her eating! Just made it "walk" in front of the hidey and BOOM goes the dynamite!!!

Basically, when you are feeding a snake, you want it to seem like just the opposite if you are having trouble. You want them to feel like they found it, or stumbled upon it, on their own. You want them to be totally unaware of your presence. With good aggressive feeders, this does not matter and they even will look forward to you opening the cage so they can attack!!!

misskris
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
quote=Loren;99330]Some garters will take rodents on their own, some wont. for those that wont, I prefer to use scenting to get them to start taking pinkies. Rinse the pinky off under warm water to wash some of its own smell off. Take a little of whatever he eats now(fish works well, but I have used worms, slugs, frogs etc.), and rub it all over the pinky.
Now, using your tongs, slowly lower it in front of your snake's nose, and let him smell it. If he acts a little interested but doesnt take it, then give it some slight wiggles and see if that does it.
quote]

dekaybrown
I have one really shy eater, and fussy too.

For her I place a pinky in her water bowl with a couple live guppies.

She almost always gets the pinky before the guppies.

OK, I've tried all these, and she still won't touch a pinky. If by chance she grabs a pinky, she spits it back out and goes after the next thing.

She's not a "shy" feeder she'll snatch whole nightcrawlers right out of my fingers. Which I've decided is not such a good idea, she went after my finger yesteday when went to clean poo. :o

Any ideas?

olive oil
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Try cutting the pinkie in half length wise, she might like the smell:)

Loren
02-04-2009, 01:08 AM
I've had a few snakes that were very reluctant to switch to rodents, even with heavy scenting. Sometimes,(mostly with wild caught animals) it just takes a lot of time for them to get acclimated to their captive environment before they will switch to something that is not on their normal natural diet, and there are always a few stubborn ones that just wont do it.

I have had relatively good success with switching garters to rodents so far, but, for example, it took 3 years to get my ca. night snake to take a pinky after trying heaving washing and scenting with everything on his natural menu. Then, all of a sudden he takes a lizard-scented pinky- and the very next feeding he took one after simply dipping the pinky into the sand in my lizard cage, without any washing. Go figure.

What have you tried scenting with?

misskris
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I've tried scenting with fish and worms.. The only two things I can get her to eat.

misskris
02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, I tried something this morning :) I pinched the nightcrawler in half and smeared the worm guts on the pinky.. Worm and pinky are both be digested now. happy dance happy dance :)

count dewclaw
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Yay! Another one converted.

anji1971
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, that's just fabulous!
Way to go!:cool::D

Loren
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Well done. :)

olive oil
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Great news!!!

drache
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
congrats
that's great news

misskris
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry dinna mean to highjack the thread.

Thank's everyone. I super stoked when she finally ate the pinky, I was getting worried a diet of worms wasn't going to meet her long term nutritional requirements.

GarterNovice
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
No worries. I'm hoping that I'll be able to report the same success soon.

keelerskiddiecare
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Garter Novice, I noticed someone said to cut the pinky in half length wise, as you snake may like the smell. Well Mrs. Wiggles was very reluctant to get onto rodents as well and what worked was cutting. The only difference was I got told to cut the head open, through the skull and give a slight squeeze, so that a bit of blood and brain would ooze out. After one or two tries of putting the rodent, slowly right up against her nose, so she would smell the brains, BINGO, eating rodents began and she has eaten nothing since!

Sputnik
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Garter Novice, I noticed someone said to cut the pinky in half length wise, as you snake may like the smell.

Just make sure you cut it while it's still frozen. Less messy! :D