PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice please

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:01 PM
I found this 75 gallon thrown out in someone's trash today. (YAY)
The bad part is they used something way to hot to heat the tank so the bottom is shattered. I could you some advice on fixing it. If I use plexiglass would I be able to use a utt heater? Do you think it could be fixed? I was thinking it would perfect for Mellows (bp) adult tank. Here is a picture.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq240/oliveoilsnake/IMG_0197.jpg

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Get a piece of glass the exact size of the internal measurements of the base, then fix it in on a bed of silicone. Seal the edges to cover any sharps.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks James, I was wondering if I could go with the cheaper plexiglass?
Would there be a big differnce in cost? Would the plexi be able to handle the heat?

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't know about price difference, I never use Plexiglas. Glass would certainly be the better option in my opinion, and I doubt that a simple rectangle that size would be particularly expensive.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
That sounds good. I have never had to buy any glass :D

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Or if you can shy away from the UTH idea, a sheet of wood will work well for cheap.

Your not attempting to make it water tight, so any cheap bottom should work.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Wayne, how could I have belly heat for a bp if I use wood?
I'm all about saving money!

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Indeed any sheeted base would work, as long as it is fully adhered to the entire surface of the broken existing base, but certainly in the UK glass is cheaper than sheet timber.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
if its wood, and up on a rack or stand, drill a hole for the cord, and put the heat on the UP side of the bottom.

Then just place something flat, like a floor tile on top of the heater,( Not soft linolium, use hard ceramic, or a scrap pane of window glass.) maybe get a big enough one to cover the hole too.

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
I think I misunderstood.... I thought the base was broken but still in situ.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
if its wood, and up on a rack or stand, drill a hole for the cord, and put the heat on the UP side of the bottom.

Then just place something flat, like a floor tile on top of the heater,( Not soft linolium, use hard ceramic, or a scrap pane of window glass.) maybe get a big enough one to cover the hole too.

Great Idea!
Thanks Wayne.

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I would be a little concerned about sticking timber into the bottom of an all glass tank.... how would you deal with faeces and general spills soaking into the wood? Surely it would be stinking within a month?

Simpler, cleaner and cheaper to double-up on the glass base. And you get to keep your heat source external.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM
That's true James, Do your enclosures have glass bottoms?

I buy wood that is sealed on one side.

If you cannot find wood that is sealed (Counter top board works great) all it takes is a quick coat of shellac.

I look at it like this, wood is far easier to drill, and work with.

Many glass outlets can cut your panel to fit, so I'd weigh out the costs before I dove in.

If the glass store wants $15 just to cut the pane, plus another 15 for the glass, a $2 scrap of wood starts to look attractive.

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
No Wayne, my enclosures all have water-tight slate bottoms.
The beauty of the glass option is that no further work is required... no drilling, no shellac, no nothing. The timber option seems rather 'rough' and labour intensive to me. Then you need to follow up with tiling to cover the heater, you have to think about where the cable is coming in, etc. Just seems complicated.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I am complicated.....;)

Thought you knew that by now.

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's another thought... the glass option would be virtually invisible. The timber, plus heater, plus tiling etc. would show through the front glass of the tank... surely rather unsightly?

Lori P
01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, great find!!!!! Check the price of both glass and plexi-- plexi has gotten REALLY expensive. Might actually get a piece of glass cut cheaper. Lucky you!!! :-)

infernalis
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Here's another thought... the glass option would be virtually invisible. The timber, plus heater, plus tiling etc. would show through the front glass of the tank... surely rather unsightly?

Is that with the invisible substrate?

Or wouldn't the (aspen/carefresh/bark/mulch) pretty much hide the bottom.

It's just an idea, I have 4 enclosures with wood bottoms, they all look fine, and none of them have gotten nasty yet.

Heck, Chompers cage has a wood floor, and (you know it as well) NOTHING is nastier than monitor crap.

Home outlet stores will sell a scrap of counter top material quite cheaply, and it already has a sealant on the top side.

I am NOT ruling out glass, if a glass shop can sell her a pane that will fit, and is tempered (don't want it too fragile) for not much money, then by all means.

jitami
01-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Zoe, if the glass is all in one piece I like the double glass idea, but I'd be willing to try something like tile adhered to the bottom, too. If the bottom is 48.5"x18.5" like the chart I saw says it is, you could use 6" tiles, silicone caulk, and be done for probably very little money? I'd price all of your options and see. Knowing me I'd try this route cause I could run to home depot, get the stuff, and do it myself with no cutting, etc :) The only downside I can think of is that it will add some weight to an already compromised bottom, but if "glued" down to the existing glass it should work?

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey, whatever. I'm not going to argue about it. I don't have to live with it!
It's a simple choice.... quick, cheap, invisible, one-off, sterile solution. Or multi-layered, unsightly, impossible to clean, drill-holes-in-your-tank-cover-the-heater-seal-the-floor-hide-the-whole-botch-job-with-bark-chippings solution. Fortunately, I don't need to make the choice.:D;)

Wayne, my solution is the better one. Admit it!:D

infernalis
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Wayne, my solution is the better one. Admit it!:D

OK If it will make you happy...

I thought you enjoyed battling wits with me.

Now who can I pick on?!

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah... I enjoyed that!:D

infernalis
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
James, I have something, I'll PM you.

Read it and weep.

Or better yet, start marking the ones you want to try in July....

You will understand soon enough.

adamanteus
01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I am NOT ruling out glass, if a glass shop can sell her a pane that will fit, and is tempered (don't want it too fragile) for not much money, then by all means.

PS. No need for tempered or toughened glass in a case like this. Once the two pieces are stuck together with silicone they become, in effect, a single piece of laminated glass.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
If it is not too expensive I think I will go with glass.
The tile idea is not a bad one either.
I'll put up another picture when it's finished.

guidofatherof5
01-31-2009, 08:12 PM
You could always do half in wood and half in glass:D

crzy_kevo
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
or get some slate and silicone it to the bottom and be like james :D