PDA

View Full Version : Redsided, orange spotted Garter snakes in UK?

Sputnik
02-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Would any of you clever people here know of a good breeder of these beautiful creatures in the UK? I live in the South West and I'm having huge trouble tracking someone down. :(

adamanteus
02-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi Rosina,

So you're in the UK? You could try this guy, he knows his stuff! alan@gartersnake.co.uk

James.

ssssnakeluvr
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
are you in the U.K.???? your info shows a U.S. flag under the country....

Sputnik
02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
are you in the U.K.???? your info shows a U.S. flag under the country....

Not anymore. ;)

Yeah, I have e-mailed Alan but so far no news. I was hoping there might be someone a little closer to me.

Daniel
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey Rosina,

just have a look on this thread:

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/473-garter-transport-hamm-show-uk.html

Best wishes,

Daniel

adamanteus
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Not anymore. ;)

Yeah, I have e-mailed Alan but so far no news. I was hoping there might be someone a little closer to me.

Alan has a web site, I can't remember the address thougfh so I'm pretty useless in that regard! He has many contacts though, throughout the UK and Europe, I'm sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction when he answers your mail.

James.

KITKAT
02-21-2007, 07:13 PM
*Garter Snake Home Page - Alan Francis (http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/)

Note his text on people having trouble reaching him...

Sputnik
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
I had an e-mail from Alan. His snakes are still in hibernation but he's hoping to breed for the summer. Looks like I'll just have to keep in touch with him. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on. :rolleyes:

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Great! I'm glad that's working out. There are other people in this forum who might be able to help out too. Just you wait until babies start being born this year.... I bet this forum will be full of them. (I'm hoping so).
James.

adamanteus
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Rosina,
Have you made any more progress in your UK search yet?

Sputnik
03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes, I have exchanged a few e-mails with Alan Francis (lovely guy!) and hopefully will be able to buy from him in the summer. I feel quite honoured. :) He also got my little garter snake eating. I was getting quite concerned about her, she hadn't fed since we bought her a few weeks ago and judging by the size difference to her brother, she's had trouble for ages, poor thing. Alan suggested trying earthworms from my garden and within seconds she gobbled down the first one with great enthusiasm, followed by 3 more!

adamanteus
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Great. I'm pleased for you.:)

zirliz
03-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I too would love some Flame garters but I live in Ireland that's worse, have five of my own it's a long a tiring search I'd love some Chequered they seems very hard to find here

adamanteus
03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
They're readily available in England. Maybe someone could send you some, or jump on the ferry...there are breeders in Wales.

zirliz
04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Are they pricey I expect hoping someone could get one over here is out of the question, :(
I wish I knew some one over there I could go stay with or had been into snakes when I went to Whales years back :(

zirliz
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, I have exchanged a few e-mails with Alan Francis (lovely guy!) and hopefully will be able to buy from him in the summer. I feel quite honoured. :) He also got my little garter snake eating. I was getting quite concerned about her, she hadn't fed since we bought her a few weeks ago and judging by the size difference to her brother, she's had trouble for ages, poor thing. Alan suggested trying earthworms from my garden and within seconds she gobbled down the first one with great enthusiasm, followed by 3 more!
I chatted with him too very helpful

RedSided
04-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Mabey I can find out about Chequered and Flame garter breeders around here for you but I've not had anything mentioned to me recently. My local reptile shop is called "Silent world" Located in Tenby,south west wales. At one point they had a garter colony but I think they sold them, I think they are breeding a few other reptiles too, take a look.

index (http://www.silentworld.org.uk/sw%20frame.html) -Check under the news tab

Also, a customer of theirs is looking to breed some garters and they have asked if I would like to breed my female eastern red sided, im not to sure about that yet but I will keep you posted.If I did breed them would any of you Uk and Wales residents be interested in buying?

Anyway I will ask them if they know of any less common garter breeding going on.:D

adamanteus
04-04-2007, 03:43 AM
I might be interested in buying...I would have to see the resulting offspring before I commit myself though. Just a thought; do you know who this other customer is? Be careful if you don't know him, you never know how healthy his snakes are, or how well he keeps them. If the male is coming to you, be sure to quarantine him for a while. You don't want any nasty surprises!

RedSided
04-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Which is why im not sure about it yet, I would have to have a proper conversation with them and check the snake of course, I dont't like to assume the worst about paresties and so on but it is needed to ensure the welfare of both snakes.