PDA

View Full Version : Not held my snake in a month, she's going crazy!

philthechil
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
I went to Florida for 2 weeks, and then when I came back I fed her but I haven't fed her since then until yesterday. When I put the live pinkie mouse in there, my snake pretty much lunged at the food. A few minutes later I tried picking her up and she started going crazy and she raced around the aquarium! When I finally picked her up, she musked on me! She's never musked on me before though... I've had her almost 6 months and she's never done this before. I got her wild a few hours away from where I live. Is it possible that she's gotten wild again? :P

adamanteus
01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Phillip. I guess she's got used to you not being around, and not being disturbed. I'm sure if you go slow she'll return to her usual self quickly enough. Probably not a good idea to handle her when she's just eaten though.

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
hello and welcome to the forum!:D

philthechil
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D A few more facts: I believe she's a female, :P although I really need to get her checked to make sure. She shed last week. And I'm pretty sure she's an Eastern Garder. Even when I first got her, after a few minutes of handling her, she was very docile with me. I'm think about upgrading to like a 25 gallon tank (I have a 10 gallon right now) and then trying to get another snake of the same sex.

adamanteus
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Once you've posted a few more times you'll have the option to post pictures... then we'll gladly help you to ID and sex your snake.

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
sounds like you're doing good to me!:D

philthechil
01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Hehe, I don't have any pictures of her yet. And I can't exactly do that because I tried holding her again today and she musked on me again! :(

jitami
01-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Welcome :) Sounds like it's just going to take her some time to get used to you again. Looking forward to pictures when you can post them :)

philthechil
01-29-2009, 06:33 PM
The weird thing is that she's NEVER musked on me. Even when I first found her! :?

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Don't be concerned about the musking thing.... I have noticed all garters... even the most gentle sometimes get nervous or just in a mood like.... leave me alone!!! Musking is just your garter being alert, protecting her own life and reminding you that she is not food!!!:rolleyes:

philthechil
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Here's my pictures... Sorry about the double post. :P Edit: Nevermind! :P

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/4890-gwennes-home.html#post98847

I just held her a little bit ago and I tried picking her up and she gave me a tiny little nip on the hand! :P I waited a few minutes and after cleaning and refilling her water bowl thingy, I picked her up and she seemed alot less feisty. :D

guidofatherof5
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
They can be moody at times. Just like us. Sounds like you are very intune with your snake. That's a good thing for both of you. She/he will probably settle down again, soon.

wolfpacksved
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I prefer to not handle my Thams much, so don't feel bad. imo, they prefer to be left alone. guess i am into observing my garters as opposed to handling.

reptile3
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi & Welcome... I handle mine more when I am weighing & measuring them, monthly! I usually leave them alone, I also do a head count, to make sure they are there & ALIVE.

Mine don't musk anymore, but if I am bugging them, they will.

philthechil
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
The first few months I had her, she always seemed to like exploring me and wrapping around my fingers and whatnot... But now she's acting really weird.

anji1971
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
They can be moody, too. I have one (Chili) that will handle no problem some days, and other days won't let me come near her. Deejay never hesitates to climb up my arm and come for a walk. Autumn usually dives into her hide at the faintest hint that I'm coming for her.:rolleyes:
I tend to handle mine based on how they react to me at the time. If they seem calm, I'll pick them up for a bit, otherwise, I just let them be until it's cleaning day.

guidofatherof5
01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Most of my large groups of Radix like to be handled and interaction.
They come out when I'm in the nursery room. Looking for a handout or some attention.

philthechil
01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Is it possible that she's acting like this because she's trying to hibernate or something in the cage is bothering her?

philthechil
02-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I totally cleaned her cage out and put in some carefresh, and now she's pretty much back to normal!! :D