PDA

View Full Version : Not eating?

SnakeBabe1454
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first Garter 2 weeks ago! He is super cute and seems to be very healty. I got some information from the pet store about his eating habits before I bought him, and they told me he ate goldfish. I know that goldfish are not good for them to eat all of the time so I bought him some nightcrawlers. I fed him half of one 8 days ago and he ate it, but about 3 days ago I put another half in and he just stares at it then slithers away? :confused: The worm has been in his water bowl (alive) the whole time too. Is somthing wrong with him? Should I buy him another gold fish, maybe he doesnt like the worms? I am leaving tomorrow for a few days so I need some help here :D

Thanks

adamanteus
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Courtney, and welcome to the forum.:)
If your snake appears happy and healthy I wouldn't worry if it doesn't eat at first. It can often take some time for them to settle into their new environment.... probably just luck that it took that first worm!

Have a look through our care sheet, ask any questions, relax and enjoy the forum.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 04:02 PM
hello and welcome!:D

i wouldn't buy another gold fish..... they are really bad......

Stefan-A
01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Courtney. :)

jitami
01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Welcome :)

guidofatherof5
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. If your snake is active and getting water don't worry about it not eating right now.
How sure are you that you have a Garter snake? Many pet shops don't have a clue as the what they are selling.
Can you post a picture? Get it identified.
There is a wonderful care sheet on the homepage of this forum.
Glad your with us.

SnakeBabe1454
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Steve,
I posted a picture of him, its a little hard to see I will have to take more soon. But by the looks of him and the way he acts, I am pretty sure he is a Garter. They said "He is a Garter shipped from Canada" Haha, hope this helps.

adamanteus
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Where did you post the picture, Courtney?
Once you've posted five or six times, this option will be open to you.....
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/1008-guide-posting-pictures.html

jitami
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
My local petco sells ribbons labled as canadian garters on a regular basis... care is very similiar, but it could explain why he/she's not crazy about the worm :) Looking forward to seeing pictures :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Courtney, only thing I can really add here is goldfish are not good for him to eat period, stay far, far away, no matter what the people at the pet store tell you!!! the negative effects of them far outweighs the good effect of him having a full belly. Try getting some feeder guppies, or offer some strips of trout, salmon, or tilapia!!! Garter snakes do love worms, but if you actually have a ribbon, he might not be so keen on that!

Welcome to the forum, the picture in your profile is very difficult for me to make out, so I can't help you on an ID just yet!!!:D

Odie
01-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Courtney :)

reptile3
01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Hello Courtney, Welcome!!:)

GarterNovice
01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Hello Courtney. I've recently purchased two different snakes from Petco. The first they said was a common eastern garter which ended up being a Ribbon Snake. The second they said was a "Canadian Garter" which ended up being an Indonesian Striped Keelback. So if you post a picture on here the others on the forum will identify it very quickly for you so you'll know exactly what to feed it. Also I would stop feeding goldfish and start using guppies if you can get them. Hope that helps.

drache
01-31-2009, 05:25 AM
welcome to the forum, Courtney

Stefan-A
01-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Hello Courtney. I've recently purchased two different snakes from Petco. The first they said was a common eastern garter which ended up being a Ribbon Snake. The second they said was a "Canadian Garter" which ended up being an Indonesian Striped Keelback.
Speaking of which, we have a thread somewhere, with all 35 species and 44 subspecies currently recognized listed, with both English and scientific names. I would recommend that everybody who thinks about buying a garter from a pet store print that list and take it with them when they visit a store.

"Canadian garters" are not on that list for obvious reasons. Depending on if you interpret the word "common" as a name rather than a description, the "common eastern garter" isn't either.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow. I did look up ribbion snakes and he really does look like one! How do I post pictures on here without using url? maybe thats why he hates worms. :confused:

Stefan-A
02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow. I did look up ribbion snakes and he really does look like one! How do I post pictures on here without using url? maybe thats why he hates worms. :confused:
Post it in the gallery, copypaste the url the gallery gives.

edit: I should have been more specific. Towards the bottom of the page, there's a field with the caption UBBCode. That's the link you want.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Jace_s_B-day_Reptiles_2009_019.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Vasper_001.jpg
Here is my snake. Please let me know so I can go tell off Petco :p hehe

Stefan-A
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Definitely Xenochrophis.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes he is definitely a Xenochrophis Vittatus. I can't belive that! So does anyone know if there is a diffrence between this and a garters's feeding habbits?

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
That's one VERY skinny snake. Best get it checked for parasites.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes he is skinny, but if you check out my other post, I did some more reasearch and figured out he is not a garter. He is a Xenochrophis vittatus. For his type of snake he looks pretty normal. I am just upset Petco sold him to me as a Garter when he really is a Striped Keelback!

ssssnakeluvr
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
look at the neck on the 2nd pic....looks like skin folds....he does look a little thin for xenocrophis. yes, go tell them off....happens all the time....

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, I know what he is, but he is very thin, also his colour and pattern seem very subdued. These snakes are notorious for carrying a huge parasite burden when they're first imported. Without treatment this can often be fatal.
Many of our members have had these, I think you'll find most of them have had parasite issues.

ssssnakeluvr
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
nearly all are wild caught and imported....no captive breeders out there...yet

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/showphoto.php?photo=6282&cat=500&ppuser=7186

Ok I uploaded a new picture of him with my better camera (this time on flash too) let me know what you think.
Also, if you still think he does look sick, how can I treat him?

Thanks I really appreciate the help :)

Stefan-A
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/showphoto.php?photo=6282&cat=500&ppuser=7186

Copy the text in the field towards the bottom of the page in the gallery. The one where it says UBBCode.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Can you not see it?

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Here you go.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Vasper.jpg

Stefan-A
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Can you not see it?
Yeah, but it's not the url in the address bar that you want, it's the one the gallery provides with img tags and all. :)

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm not saying it looks sick. I don't want to scare you or seem to be pessimistic.... but these snakes are well known for their parasite load, and this one is thin. The best bet is to let your vet take a faecal floatation and treat for the parasites he finds.

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks James,
so what do you think? Does he look better in this pic? Or still sick?

drache
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
got the pic
he doesn't look too skinny to me
their bodies tend to be not quite like ribbons - sort of between garters and ribbons
but he's likely to have parasites either way
if you can get him to a vet, that would be great
when you make an appointment, make sure the vet is experienced with reptiles
if they aren't, they may still be able to run a fecal check for you, so ask
but also be aware that some parasites may not show up in the stool
there are some that will just show up after a few months subcutaneously
best to keep this snake separate from others for a while
when I had mine, I never did keep them with any others

SnakeBabe1454
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Ok thanks guys

adamanteus
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks James,
so what do you think? Does he look better in this pic? Or still sick?

Not sick.... he looks 'dowdy', but he may be in slough. I still think he's thin. In the second pic on this thread there are loose skin folds visible.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Sadly it looks like the old pics are gone, but folds of skin are a bad sign, sometimes, an overnight soak can help that a lot. I can see even in that picture that his back takes on a triangular shape and I know it's really hard to see in this pic but having seen/kept this species enough, I can tell he is too thin. His body should be solidly round and robust, his looks kind of loose and depressed, every striped keelback I've ever had dropped dead, almost positively due to parasites. I would definitely follow James' advice, and get a fecal to the vet for examination, if I ever get more I tell you that's the FIRST thing I'll do!! (im not trying to scare you, just being totally honest and trying to voice what's best for the little fella!)

SnakeBabe1454
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,
I spent the last month is massive research and contact with Petco. My "garter" was for sure a Keelback. The people at Petco were amazing and very kind, they even gave me a Free Gecko and all of its supplies! But anywho, it is official now (after the manager contacted the main upper authority), Keelbacks will no longer be cought and shipped to Petco's ANYWHERE in the US and the vendor got in some major trouble!
Just thought I would share my excitement :)

gregmonsta
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Excellent ... :) looks like the hasslings payed off :D

jitami
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice Job SnakeBabe! Thanks for following through with Petco!

Jack Neary
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Courtney, only thing I can really add here is goldfish are not good for him to eat period, stay far, far away, no matter what the people at the pet store tell you!!! the negative effects of them far outweighs the good effect of him having a full belly. Try getting some feeder guppies, or offer some strips of trout, salmon, or tilapia!!! Garter snakes do love worms, but if you actually have a ribbon, he might not be so keen on that!

Welcome to the forum, the picture in your profile is very difficult for me to make out, so I can't help you on an ID just yet!!!:D

Shannon,
Any suggestions on where I can buy feeder Guppies? I was happily buying feeder guppies from Petland, until I found out that they were really just Rosy Reds!!!
Thanks!
Jack

Snake lover 3-25
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
wow!!!!! awesome!!!!:eek:

SnakeBabe1454
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah finally some justice around here lol! Thanks for the support guys :) if I ever get a real garter this will be the first palce I come back to