PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster diving

guidofatherof5
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I got a call today from a friend. They gave me the location of a free large hex. aquarium. After work I did a little dumpster diving and scored this beauty. None of my kids would go with me. They get embarrassed when I do this sort of thing. I don't have a problem with it "One person's junk is another's treasure" Think I will use it for some babies this spring. All I need to do is make a lid, put a light in it and I'm in business. Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/aquarium.jpg

snakeman
01-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Those things are not cheap!

reptile3
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
sweet find!!! my mom & step dad(who I call dad) they live in a condominium, & ppl through out all kinds of things. they go through & find all kinds of TREASURES!!

Snake lover 3-25
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
cool find!!!!:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
if you are able to build a secure enough "lid".... you could even turn it on its side!!!

guidofatherof5
01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Which side?:rolleyes::D Great Idea. I'm still trying to figure out where I can put it. I'm am slowly forcing myself to build my Garter room. I have a room in the basement 16ft by 25ft. I better get started.

ssssnakeluvr
01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Nice score!!!! yes, one man's junk is another man's gold!!!! wouldn't be too hard to build a lid for that!!! and those tanks aren't cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

drache
01-29-2009, 04:33 AM
great score, Steve
here in Brooklyn, scavenging is a way of life
we're so fortunate as to live in a neighbourhood with a very active list serve where people post curb alerts for the better stuff

anji1971
01-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Steve, you are one lucky guy!:cool:
I constantly scan the curbside for old tanks being tossed out, but no luck so far. That one is going to make a fabulous home for some lucky critters.

olive oil
01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I can just picture little babies climbing all over that tank!
You could make them an upstairs:)

jitami
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice find Steve :)

infernalis
01-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Congrats Steve!!!

crzy_kevo
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
very nice find steve :D

GarterNovice
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
That's a very nice find:)

brain
01-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey, great find. You do have the luck of the Irish.;)

I have had glass cut in an octagon before and not as expensive as you would think and if that the only expense you have for a habitat … not bad my man. :cool::cool:

infernalis
01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Wood makes nice tops too.

guidofatherof5
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM
What good friends I have. Look what got delivered to my house today. 4' long, 2' tall and 2' deep. This display case is going to work great. It has a false bottom in it. I'm going to cut a large hole in the first bottom and put a deep container in it. Providing plenty of swimming area. The back, where the sliding doors are will be secured. The glass top will be replaced with a removable screen top. The lighting is already installed and other then using some silicon to secure a few areas it's ready to go. The only drawback is the fact it could have taken first place in the "Hernia Derby" this year. Not something I'll be moving around a lot. A true show of friendship is when they do the dumpster diving for you. Any suggestions would be great. I have never used a display case before. The best part? it was free:eek:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/display2.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/display_case.jpg

drache
02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
fantastic score, Steve
you really know how to find them

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 05:54 PM
wow AWESOME find!!!!! but i'm confused... what are you gonna do with the bottom???

guidofatherof5
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
It has a double bottom with about 8 inches between them. I'm going to give my snakes a swimmng pool that has a drain hose attached. For heat I'll run thermo wire and a dimmer switch. I'll post as it progresses.
Removed the shelving materials and secured the back. Going to watch a little Super Bowl and then finish the screen top.

count dewclaw
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
What a great find. Looking forward to the progress pictures.

anji1971
02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
That should make one heck of a nice home for someone! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
ooo i see very neat!!!:D

Lori P
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
VERY cool Steve!!!! I can't wait to see it!!!

olive oil
02-03-2009, 06:15 AM
How is it coming along Steve?
What a great find.
Can't wait to see it finished:)

guidofatherof5
02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I couldn't wait to put this thing into use. Did a quick setup and populated it with my largest group of young ones.
I've decided not to cut any holes in this thing.
Think instead I'll do an above ground pool.
I don't want to ruin the display case in the event I would need to sell it.
The other problem, the bottom wood is so thick my heat mat isn't doing the job it should.
For the time being I've installed a heat lamp.
I don't like them but will tolerate it for a short time.
My Radixs love it and spent hours exploring.
I've been able to put a much larger water dish in and bath time has really increased.

mtolypetsupply
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
You are sooooo lucky! Congrats on those!

Snake lover 3-25
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
glad they like it:)

brain
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I couldn't wait to put this thing into use. Did a quick setup and populated it with my largest group of young ones.
I've decided not to cut any holes in this thing.
Think instead I'll do an above ground pool.
I don't want to ruin the display case in the event I would need to sell it.
The other problem, the bottom wood is so thick my heat mat isn't doing the job it should.
For the time being I've installed a heat lamp.
I don't like them but will tolerate it for a short time.
My Radixs love it and spent hours exploring.
I've been able to put a much larger water dish in and bath time has really increased.

Steve
As you do the pool ideas think of the weight of water (8lbs per gal.) sitting on that bottom shelf. You might want to add some 1x2 on the underside in that void. 1x2 actual ¾ x 1 ¾ so place the ¾ side under the bottom not the 1 ¾ side for more strength.

Just a thought

guidofatherof5
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Michael,

This thing is a tank. I'm guessing it's at least 40 years old. It can handle anything I do to it.
The bottom is 3/4 inch. Using the Heat pad does nothing. Thanks for your concern:)

brain
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Yea I can see the blue bottom board looks beefy

guidofatherof5
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Check out this nice find off craigslist. I pick it up tonight. This is going to make a nice enclosure.
BIG GLASS DISPLAY CASE (http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/1140933306.html)

drache
04-28-2009, 07:02 AM
wow - that's a great find
congrats

Stefan-A
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Nice find. The local flea market has a display case just like it and I've had my eyes on it for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I lack the muscles and the vehicle to move it, as well as space.

guidofatherof5
04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Nice find. The local flea market has a display case just like it and I've had my eyes on it for a couple of years now. Unfortunately I lack the muscles and the vehicle to move it, as well as space.

I'm sure I could enter this thing in the Hernia Derby and win. If you were a little closer I would help you move it. As far as space goes, put it where your couch was. Getting rid of the couch gives you all the space you need:D

Stefan-A
04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm sure I could enter this thing in the Hernia Derby and win. If you were a little closer I would help you move it. As far as space goes, put it where your couch was. Getting rid of the couch gives you all the space you need:D
I don't have a couch. :D

drache
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
hernia is right - you bet
I cannot even tell you what a pain all over it was to move that 6'x2'x2' glass tank into my living room
I think it took six of us and it was hellishly scary because of all that glass
the hardest part were the steep and narrow front stairs; getting it five feet off the ground onto it's base was almost as difficult
Drache really likes it though
good choice getting rid of the couch, but I was pretty sure that wasn't an option for Stefan
Stefan
Mikhailas bed is about five feet off the ground - enough for the iguana we were fostering - just a thought

Snake lover 3-25
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
wow it sure will!! great find!!:D

Stefan-A
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Stefan
Mikhailas bed is about five feet off the ground - enough for the iguana we were fostering - just a thought
Can't go around buying new beds. :rolleyes:

drache
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Can't go around buying new beds. :rolleyes:
just build a height extension
even my rudimentary carpentry skills have sufficed to get floor space under my bed in three different living situations

Stefan-A
04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Not worth it.

guidofatherof5
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I was able to get this monster in the house tonight. It will have to sit in the livingroom until the Narcisse Den adventure is over.
I'm not sure how my radixes are going to react to the mirrored back panels. Should be worth a few laughs at their expense.:D

I will have to make a hinged screened top for it later. It is having a light problem but shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/display3.jpg

guidofatherof5
04-29-2009, 06:08 AM
The mirrors are coming out. I found those panel frames are easy to disassemble. I'm going to make both of them screened. Getting it into use should happen a lot quicker. Still, it will have to wait until next week. I have too much on my plate to add it in. I missed out on another one of these a couple of weeks ago. $50 is a great price for this much room.

drache
04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
$50 is a great price for this much room.it sure is

guidofatherof5
05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Just put that display case in use. The top is 1/4 inch peg board(good ventalation and heavy) The back sliding doors are now screened front doors. I still need to decorate it but they have their hide and water for now. I'm going to put a brush pile in at one end and give them a much larger water dish. This is a group of females that were born 14 months ago. While I was loading it up some of them came to the opened door, looked out and went about their business.
I expected as much since they have been trained not to leave their enclosures:D I mean without permission:rolleyes:

The 30 gal. breeder that is on top is going to get a group of newborns from last month.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/displ.jpg

drache
05-10-2009, 02:49 PM
nice to have all that space to play with - how fun
myself I'm going through some serious reptilian real estate lack right now
what's the substrate?

guidofatherof5
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
what's the substrate?

Crushed/dried corn cob. Wait! Wait! don't yell at me. I understand and am aware of the problems that it can cause. I am very diligent at feeding time. They all get handfed. Once they take the food, I take them out. I monitor the corn cob more than daily. Wet/soiled cob is removed. The first thing I do in the morning is clean enclosures. The last thing I do at night is clean enclosures.
I hope that the system I use, will reduce greatly the problems associated from its use.

Okay, now you can yell at me:D

drache
05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
why would I?
I've got no experience with the stuff
I currently like cage carpet, because I can see everything on it

Sid
05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Very nice job, Steve. I bet some Radix are going to appreciate the fruits of your labor.:)

guidofatherof5
05-10-2009, 03:54 PM
why would I?
I've got no experience with the stuff
I currently like cage carpet, because I can see everything on it

I'm just messing with you. Corn cob can't be digested and can cause intestinal blockages resulting in serious medical issues or death. I don't think a small piece eaten by an adult snake will cause a problem. Their digestive tract is large enough that it will pass through. The major problem is when smaller/baby snakes ingest it.

Snake lover 3-25
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
wow great job steve!!!!!

guidofatherof5
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
My radixes amaze me sometimes. Tonight, while I was feeding my group of females that live in the 6 foot display case I was preoccupied. It's then I noticed a couple of my larger girls hanging out of the open door. They had lowered themselves into the worm container. They would grab a worm and eat it while hanging there. After they filled up they pulled themselves back into the enclosure and went into their hide. All they had to do was drop to the floor and make a run for it but instead abided by the rules of the T.radix Ranch.
They are such good girls.

drache
06-04-2009, 09:03 AM
why should they leave?
there can't be much better service at any other hostel