PDA

View Full Version : Sku's new roomie

GarterNovice
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
So everyone on here was right. I couldn't stop at just one:) I went out tonight and picked up a garter snake from the pet store. As corny as it sounds but I've named him Stu, Sku's step brother:) I tried to get some pictures. They might be a bit blurry as he's very busy investigating his new surroundings. If anyone feels like attempting to identify what particular breed he is I'd be very grateful. He has two light brown stripes down his back with a thin black stripe in between.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/neo_axiom/100_1625.jpghttp://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/neo_axiom/100_1618.jpghttp://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w105/neo_axiom/100_1624.jpg

adamanteus
01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice snake. But it's not a Garter Snake, it's a Keelback Snake Xenochrophis vittatus.
This is an Indonesian species, and if wild caught, which they nearly always are, is likely to be heavily infested with parasites. Please keep it separate from your other snake until you're sure your vet has cleared it of internal nasties!

drache
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
ditto
definitely keep separate from your other snake for a quarantine period of at least two months in any case because parasites can turn up under the skin that the vet might not find through a fecal exam

guidofatherof5
01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
That's great advice! Still a great looking snake. Looks like it has a good home. Enjoy, Keelbacks need good homes to. We have a Petco. and Pet Smart opening soon in our town. I plan on keeping a close eye on their reptiles.

Snake lover 3-25
01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
wow beautiful snake! i want one of those.....:( too bad they don't sell anything other than corns and balls around here:(

reptile3
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Nice snake. But it's not a Garter Snake, it's a Keelback Snake Xenochrophis vittatus.
This is an Indonesian species, and if wild caught, which they nearly always are, is likely to be heavily infested with parasites. Please keep it separate from your other snake until you're sure your vet has cleared it of internal nasties!

Why do pet stores say they are garters? I still haven't yet to see any garters, ribbons or keelback snakes.

adamanteus
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Why do pet stores say they are garters?

Because they don't know their arse from their elbow.:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
gasp!!!!

well as stated previously, that is not at all a garter, but a striped keelback.... their care is similar but I would definitely, without a doubt separate it.... it is almost positively wild caught and loaded with parasites that could be really dangerous to your other snake... Every striped keelback I've ever bought has dropped dead for "seemingly" no reason.

I personally would not house garter/ribbon snakes and keelbacks together at all... they are both rear fanged animals and being so different, if one accidentally bites the other...especially the keelback to the ribbon.... bad things could happen!!!

I do wish you best of luck with this new snake though! I wish I could find some already!!!

GarterNovice
01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Dagnabit. I was wondering why I couldn't find a picture that matched his pattern. I'll have to pull him out of his cage then and put him in the small one. Thanks for the warning. By the way. What exactly would an Indonesian snake be doing in the greater Kansas City Area anyways?

adamanteus
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Good luck with him Patrick. They really are beautiful snakes, and as Shannon says their care is almost identical to a Garter, once you get them clean and healthy.

GarterNovice
01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
So this is probably a no brainer, but I need to go ahead and completely clean out Sku's viv now that I already had the Keelback in there for a couple of hours before I read your replies?

ssssnakeluvr
01-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Why do pet stores say they are garters? I still haven't yet to see any garters, ribbons or keelback snakes.
cuz people that are smart and know their reptiles are too smart to work in pet stores....:rolleyes:;) I have seen snakes with all sorts of wrong names.....and garters are rarely seen in pet stores cuz they don't want to pay for decent captive bred specimens, just cheap wild caught ribbons by the hundreds.....(although there are a few good ones, got a fish specialty store here that has some herps, wants melanistic easterns when I get them, and another wants some of my cheaper normal garters.....I did get my albino checkered from him, rare find here!!!!)

drache
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
petshops just get deliveries from distributors who get them from importers
out of three I had, only one survived
he's a lovely snake

GarterNovice
01-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I guess this just goes to show how much of a newbie at this I really am. I could've sworn he looked like a common garter. Of course I didn't realize he had the two brown stripes till I got him home. So I should keep them separate for two months or so? Will the parasites just work themselves out on their own or do I need to feed him a special supplement to do that?

drache
01-29-2009, 04:38 AM
it depends on what he's got
without a fecal exam you won't know whether he has harmless stuff he'll just eliminate over time, or whether it's something that's gonna kill him over time
your vet can determine that much better and give the appropriate treatment
always better to be safe than sorry

GarterNovice
01-29-2009, 07:10 AM
K. Thanks!

GarterNovice
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
That's a downer because that means we probably can't keep him. Pet store people really irritate me. I don't understand how it can be legal to sell a snake as a garter when it is not. The pet co we got Sku at still has the other ribbon that was in with him. Looks just like him except smaller. They have what looks like two of the snakes that we just got housed with the ribbon.

drache
01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
That's a downer because that means we probably can't keep him. Pet store people really irritate me. I don't understand how it can be legal to sell a snake as a garter when it is not. The pet co we got Sku at still has the other ribbon that was in with him. Looks just like him except smaller. They have what looks like two of the snakes that we just got housed with the ribbon.
send him to Shannon - she wants one
she might even send you something nice in return

GarterNovice
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Would you mind letting us know what Shannon's screen name is? It's a shame cause he is a very nice looking snake. I really like the patterns on his back and belly.

GarterNovice
01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I know where to get a couple more if anyone would be interested

olive oil
01-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Would you mind letting us know what Shannon's screen name is? It's a shame cause he is a very nice looking snake. I really like the patterns on his back and belly.

asnakelovinbabe

count dewclaw
01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Nevermind. Zoe beat me to it...