PDA

View Full Version : any threat of accidental matings?

drache
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd like to house my pair of concinnus with my pair of anery radix
being that they're not even the same species, I would assume that there is no threat of accidental matings, particularly since they all have their own species available, with the right kinds of pheromones and such
or should I not assume?

adamanteus
01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I would think it would be risky, Rhea. Especially this time of year with the males so frisky!:D

Stefan-A
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Not worth the risk, Rhea.

drache
01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
okay, thanks
glad I asked
they've brumated briefly (6 weeks - their first year in the cold), and have already been with their respective mates since the beginning of the year - that's why I'm considering it at all
is it possible that they've already satisfied their mating urges, or is it never over with males?
my original plan was to just house the females together and the males with some other males, but I've got a tank big enough for both pairs and I thought they'd look nice together
oh well, back to plan a)

Stefan-A
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
is it possible that they've already satisfied their mating urges, or is it never over with males?
It's never really over.

drache
01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
It's never really over.
guys . . .
there was a comment, but never mind

ssssnakeluvr
01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
don't risk it.....even tho there are the same species there...you know guys....you will end up with hybrids! :eek:

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
with any of our luck, one of the males will "accidentally" "fall into" the wrong female....

Thamnophis
02-03-2009, 09:35 AM
My female tetrataenia was "taken" bij a male T. atratus last year. It produced only slugs and 1 deformed young. My advise would be: don't do it.

infernalis
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Rhea - Guys are guys regardless of species.

If you have ever seen "Jurassic Park" there was a comment "Life will find a way"

Holds a lot of truth to it.

Snaky
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I know of a case when sirtalisxradix had reproduced young. So I would also really not do it.

ssssnakeluvr
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
it happens, even in the wild.....just look at Kyle's little oops last year...albino checkered x eastern...and I have a wandering x mountain hybrid given that was given to me a couple years ago.....if you aboslutely have to put them together, put the males in one tank and the females in another

jitami
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Don, I'd love to see pics of your wandering/mountain hybrid... I have a pretty good idea what Kyle's oopsies look like :rolleyes::D;)

Edited to say... for curiosity reasons only not because I have any intention of producing hybrids! Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case! :)

drache
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
nope - I don't have to put them together at all
the past few days I've moved snakes around a bit and for now I have three tanks of three females each, one tank with three largish males, one with four smallish males, two baby tanks, and the rest is singly housed snakes
I'm not taking any chances with mishaps