PDA

View Full Version : Might be a dumb question...

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
This may be a dumb question. But I was curious if ribbons ever breed with garters. I have a male ribbon and was wanting to get a female garter. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up with a lot of baby snakes if I do that. Also, Beth was curious if there might be a risk of the garter eating the ribbon. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

crzy_kevo
01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
i think i read somewhere that there is a garter/ribben integrade found in the wild but we snake keepers like to try and keep the bloodlines straight without making hybrids i woldnt suggest it but i have no knowledge as to how well garters and ribbons do in a single enclosure together

Elliot
01-24-2009, 04:49 PM
This may be a dumb question. But I was curious if ribbons ever breed with garters. I have a male ribbon and was wanting to get a female garter. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up with a lot of baby snakes if I do that. Also, Beth was curious if there might be a risk of the garter eating the ribbon. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

They will definately breed if the conditions are right. A ribbon snake is a garter snake, they just have different common names. They're both thamnophis. So they'll act similarly, and they would eventually breed.

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 04:51 PM
What conditions do they need to breed?

Elliot
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Well the best way to get them to breed is to brumate them. But in some cases, they will just breed, without brumating.

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Huh. That's kind of a bummer cause I was wanting a female garter since they're significantly larger than the males. Would it be a bad idea to put a male garter in with Sku?

Elliot
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Nope, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Cool:) Good to know:)

Elliot
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Cool:) Good to know:)

Just make sure that there isn't a huge size difference between them.

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Just in case the garter accidentally were to eat Sku?

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Just in case the garter accidentally were to eat Sku?

yes.

I am glad you steered away from getting a female garter. But y'know.... why not get a female ribbon? They can get ABSOLUTELY GINORMOUS!!! I have seen female ribbons at over 4 feet!

Elliot
01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
yes.

I am glad you steered away from getting a female garter. But y'know.... why not get a female ribbon? They can get ABSOLUTELY GINORMOUS!!! I have seen female ribbons at over 4 feet!

I saw one in the woods that was that big once. It didn't look real. :rolleyes: My female ribbon is easily over two feet so they still have some size to them.

GarterNovice
01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
That'd be cool. Except we're already expecting a little one of our own in August and I think it'd be too much to have to take care of a ton of baby ribbons along with a newborn infant:)