PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about rep shop

Hannah
01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey i was just wondering if i could have a bit of advice about a local reptile shop. I went in for the first time a few weeks ago, as my usual one has now shut down. The whole shop was very dark and unclean, whilst browsing i noticed that the vivs did not have any locks on including the vivs of 4 adult royal pythons, a few adult sand boas, and a large carpet python. These vivs had gaps in the glass and i was concerned that the snakes could escape and potentially hurt a small child.
I also noticed that there was a viv with 2 large frilled lizards sharing with two small blue tongued skinks. Apart from the fact you shouldnt mix species, the skinks looked slightly off colour and had lumps in their tails. To me the skinks looked far too small and malnourished. Also one of the frilled lizards had a seeping foot which looked a bit like amber.
When you come into the shop there is a Caiman who i would say is about 3ft in an un-lit viv that is no larger than 4.5 ft.
I am very concerned about that welfare of all the reptiles but also what would happen if one of the snakes were to escape and who is to say a hungry carpet python wondering around Swindon town won't try it's luck with attacking a toddler.
I really think I should report the shop and was looking for opinions and how i should go about it.
I would be really grateful for any advice :D

drache
01-17-2009, 07:46 AM
that sounds awful
I'm sure someone in England can help you out
hm - I wonder where they all are right now, but I guess even James has a life outside the forum

Snake lover 3-25
01-17-2009, 09:24 AM
wow that sure does sound awful!

adamanteus
01-17-2009, 01:50 PM
That does sound a bit grim, Hannah. Maybe you could contact yor local RSPCA (in the phone book) and ask them to check it out.

reptile3
01-17-2009, 02:44 PM
that is just terrible!! Would do what James said, & report them.

guidofatherof5
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Just wondering, what was the owner/workers attitudes. Did you have a chance to talk to anyone?

Hannah
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
The people who work there are very unfriendly and scare me quite a bit http://emoticonhq.com/images/ICQ/blush.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
check with the local animal control agency or ASPCA place. they generally have the ability to go in and help even to issue criminal charges if necessary.

infernalis
01-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Go for it, Make the calls, Even if nothing comes from it, you will feel better.

GartersRock
01-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I think the least of your concerns would be these smaller python species "attacking" kids...

gregmonsta
01-19-2009, 03:24 AM
The RSPCA and the local council are good places to go. If you go through the council the complaint carries more weight as it's been officially logged with the body responsible for issuing the petshop/DWA license that way.