PDA

View Full Version : Garters wanted

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone :) . I'm new to the forum, and after a break from snake keeping for several years I'm looking to aquire a range of Thamnophis species. (My main interest was always Garters). Can anyone in the UK help out? Incidentally, a few years ago I had a group of T. ordinoides, anyone out there got this species?

CrazyHedgehog
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
hello hello, amfrom Rhyl in North Wales, so just up the road from you...
There is an excellent pet shop in Rhyl who has at least 3 types of garters in.... chequered, (from Chloe so always healthy) Common garters and albino chequered..

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that Hedgehog, I'll check it out. Still looking for more "off beat" species though.
James.:)

Cazador
02-18-2007, 05:35 PM
James,

We've been having a discussion about some blue snakes that are being sold as T.s. pickeringii, but they may actually be T. ordinoides. The ones that have had their dorsal scales counted have had 17, which is typical for T. ordinoides. Some of the best snake ID folks on this site have weighed in, but there has been a difference of opinion, but most think they are one of the two species in question. I'm being vague on purpose. Would you mind having a look at the pictures starting on page two of this thread (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/urgent-care/383-puget-update-vet-visit-more-2.html) and offering your opinion? Thanks,

Rick

adamanteus
02-19-2007, 03:15 AM
I've looked at the pictures Rick, but to be honest I'm not all that familiar with T. s. pickeringi, I thought it was similar to T. s. concinnus in appearance. The scale count would pretty much convince me...17 would be T. ordinoides. Not much help am I? Sorry about that.

Cazador
02-19-2007, 04:14 AM
No worries James. T.s. pickeringii has highly variable coloration. I was just hoping that you'd take one look at them and say, "that's just a blue version of my ordinoides" or not :). Thanks for looking,
Rick