PDA

View Full Version : Yawning is contagious!

guidofatherof5
01-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I've always heard that yawning is contagious and have experienced it myself. I have watched someone yawn and within a second or 2 I'm doing the same thing.

A few months ago I observed something with a group of 3 month old Radixs. As my daughter(Hailee) and I were looking in the encloser and commenting on how wonderful our little scrubs were. One of them yawned. A second later at least 10 of the other little scrubs did the same thing. My daughter and I broke out laughing. Some things must just be universal! Life would be so boring without these little creatures.

Have any of you observed this type of behavior?

Elliot
01-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't know but I yawned as soon as I read this. :D

guidofatherof5
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Elliot,

I meant, have you observed it in your snakes:D

Elliot
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Elliot,

I meant, have you observed it in your snakes:D

I know, I was just joking. :)

ssssnakeluvr
01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
well....can't say I've seen it in my snakes...but I used to send tapes instead of letters while in Korea in the army...would yawn on tape....and my mom would hear it and yawn!!! :eek:

prattypus
01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
well....can't say I've seen it in my snakes...but I used to send tapes instead of letters while in Korea in the army...would yawn on tape....and my mom would hear it and yawn!!! :eek:
not to hijack the thread, but where in Korea Don? I was at the Hump for a year.

infernalis
01-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Steve, I have never seen any "mass yawning?

That picture of Cain that looks like he wants to eat my camera, was really a big yawn in progress.

Elliot, I smiled when I read this.....

I don't know but I yawned as soon as I read this. :D

Jason - Just noticed you have a radix named after a tire...http://planetsmilies.net/star-wars-smiley-5478.gif

reptile3
01-14-2009, 08:12 AM
my "mass" 3 snakes, never seen them yawn... just tongue flick.:D

Snake lover 3-25
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
lol my dad once told me a story about how he used to yawn in class and look over to see if the girl he likes was yawning too lol

NikkiSixx
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM

really? that is funny.:D
when you yawn, i laugh!!!:D

ssssnakeluvr
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
not to hijack the thread, but where in Korea Don? I was at the Hump for a year.
I was in Korea in 84, spent 4 months in Taegu, then they moved me back to Seoul. there was a walkin gate by the vet clinic I worked at, was about 50 yards from our barracks....we could leave work, walk to the barracks, change out of our uniforms, and be in a bar in Itaewon in half an hour (and we did that on many an occasion :eek:) had lots of fun there!!!!! I did go up to Camp Red Cloud and work one day, wanted to stay there, nicer vet to work for, but they would not let me......the vet I worked for sucked.....

prattypus
01-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I spent a very long weekend in Taegu. Didn't go up to Yongson that much. Since you Army cats ran the place, there was one bar in AnjeongRi that had enough sense to cater the the boys in blue. Yeah, we were a smaller contingent, but loyal liver abusers were we.

ssssnakeluvr
01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I spent a very long weekend in Taegu. Didn't go up to Yongson that much. Since you Army cats ran the place, there was one bar in AnjeongRi that had enough sense to cater the the boys in blue. Yeah, we were a smaller contingent, but loyal liver abusers were we.
yea....mine took a beatin over there!!!!! then went to Germany later to pound it with good German beer!!!!! I worked on a few air force bases as a vet tech!!! beats the hell out of army bases!!!! at least the air force knows what carpet is!!!! :cool:

guidofatherof5
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
It's not a mass yawning but I caught it happening again. When I took this photo I cropped it and posted it in another thread. When I looked at the original photo tonight I saw the snake in the background in a yawn also.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/yawn.jpg

Holly
11-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I've seen all of my pets yawn! my snake, frog and geckos. It's super cute when the geckos do it, they make a big spectacle of it, yawn, lay down, lick eyes, have a nap, etc.

ConcinusMan
11-26-2009, 02:41 AM
That's awsome! I've never seen snakes yawn en masse. That would be so cool to get that on video! I would vote for that photo if entered in a contest. Really cool!

Maybe next month's photo contest theme could be a bit more challenging? Like "Open mouth" ???

guidofatherof5
11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
That's awsome! I've never seen snakes yawn en masse. That would be so cool to get that on video! I would vote for that photo if entered in a contest. Really cool!

Maybe next month's photo contest theme could be a bit more challenging? Like "Open mouth" ???

That was October's Theme.

Mommy2many
11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I have observed my little squiggles yawning as well.

ConcinusMan
11-26-2009, 02:39 PM
That was October's Theme.

No kidding? I'm fairly new here, and haven't had a chance to check out all the past photo contests.

mustang
11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
well once checker yawned then i yawned...

guidofatherof5
12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Since I will be off work for a few months with this shoulder surgery and rehab. I'm going to spend some time with my groups. I'm going to see if I can get them to yawn. I will try to get some video of this experiment.

wadih
12-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I have seen a snake yawning several times, but never the group yawning event.
However, before jumping into conclusions, make sure that they did not have a party the night before and danced all night long... that could result in group yawning also I guess :D