PDA

View Full Version : Heat Source

duh duh duh
02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
This is a sister thread to the temperature thread I just started.

What do you use as your heat source for your enclosure?

Does anyone have experience with ProHeat panels?

CrazyHedgehog
02-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I use heat mats...try to cover two thirds of tank...

Cazador
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I have a ZooMed under tank heat pad on a home-made malmite (white pressboard) enclosure and a Nature's Heat under tank heater on a 10 gallon (38L) glass aquarium. I also use incandescent IR bulbs (no under tank heater) on a large plastic enclosure with a screen-top lid and IR bulbs over other screen-top glass enclosures.

It seems like I've been able to regulate the temp throughout the enclosure a bit better using IR bulbs and rheostats than I've been able to with heat pads, but sometimes the lights are just impractical for my enclosures.

GarterGuy
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I use just regular incandescent heat lamps to heat my tanks. Garters seem to be real baskers, like a lot of diurnal lizards and such, so I like to give them something to bask under rather than just belly heat.
Roy

Stefan-A
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Like I said here (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/313-heating.html), I use lamps, as I'm using wood terrariums. The heat pads won't work properly through wood. Currently, a 60W bulb (spotlight), heats the basking spot to the right temperature from over half a meter away.

KITKAT
02-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a new heat source that is working very well for me. I am using a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter. This heats my Bearded Dragon's basking spot to 97 - 102 degrees F. I have a UVB light on the cage that provides light, but the emitter supplies the heat.

I am planning to get another one, and try setting it up for my snakes. My plan includes a regular aquarium flourescent bulb for light, and the heat emitter, hanging at a higher distance from the cage lid, for the heat. I will adjust the distance to adjust the temperatures in the snake enclosure.