PDA

View Full Version : Orange Wandering x Melanistic Wandering

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm getting an Orange male wandering from Kyle (who got it from Don) and im getting a female melanistic wandering. I was wondering (because melanistic is a co-dom trait) if the orange would show up in the melanistic. What do you think? if it doesnt work ill just end up with melanistics and orange wandering or "carrot" wandering as Kyle has named it.
thanks,
Reed

ssssnakeluvr
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
sounds interesting....chances are the melanism will block out the orange...but ya never know!!!! can't wait to see!

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
maybe i could even get my hands on an albino thatd look cool for sure, does albino x melanistic make anything?

infernalis
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes Reed, a litter of mixed (some white some black) and a percentage of "normals"

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
well, if you get melanistic and amel in the same snake, that snake would most likely be pure white... not a snow since snow is anery x amel, but pretty much looks like one. Kind of like Iowa snow plains garters... the anery's are black... then you turn them albino and bam, whitest snake you ever did see!!

If you are breeding a recessive allele and a codominant one, your f1 generation will contain (hopefully) some snakes displaying the codom trait and all will be carriers for the recessive one, but will not show it. So if the strain of melanism is truely codom, you should get about half melanistic and half normal babies all het for albino.

If you bred two of the melanistic babies from that clutch, you would get all melanistics and a few albino melanistics.

If you bred a melanistic and a normal looking snake from that clutch, you could get normals possible het amel, melanistics, albino normals, or if you luck out, albino melanistics.

If you bred two normal snakes from that clutch and the melanism is a true codom gene, then you will get all normals and normal albinos with no melanism involved. In codominance, you don't get any 'hets' for that trait, much like flame. There's actually no such thing as het flame, they either are a flame... or they are not.

ssssnakeluvr
01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
well, if you get melanistic and amel in the same snake, that snake would most likely be pure white... not a snow since snow is anery x amel, but pretty much looks like one. Kind of like Iowa snow plains garters... the anery's are black... then you turn them albino and bam, whitest snake you ever did see!!

ummm...Scott's snow easterns are from albino (amel) x melanistic.....he jsut got an actual anery eastern last summer.... could produce snows.....

only problem....no albino wanderings...the last shot at it was a guy I know that was working with a group of possible hets, but had weather related issues and the snakes died....:( I am looking tho.....and I have an orange female I got late last summer... :D

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
true, he call's them snows... but really, they just look like snows.... snow is anery x amel. they are close enough, but I like to keep things organized, that way when the real snows come along, they won't get confused with the amel melanistics.:p