PDA

View Full Version : threesome?

drache
12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
here's a question for you more experienced breeders:
when you wish for a male to mate with two females, how do you introduce them?
or is this not the done thing?

adamanteus
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I would introduce the females one at a time. The surest way is to have more than one male, this creates competition between the males, so mating is more likely.

drache
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
thanks
right now I'm stuck with what I've got
will see what happens

jitami
12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Good luck Rhea!

drache
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks Tami
right now it looks like the girls are both giving him cold vibes and hanging out with each other instead

Loren
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Rhea, for me, it depends on the age. If they are pretty young- like within a couple weeks after weaning, you can usually intoduce them all at once. If the females are older, I have better luck introducing the females to the male, one at a time, a couple days apart. It has been my experience that 2 or three females, when living together for some time, will often band together and kill any new males- especially if he is put into their cage.
I have had best success raising them together from just-weaned. I have bred 1 male with anywhere from 3 to 9 females. I would say 2-7 is ideal, in my opinion.
I actually have one colony right now with 2 males and 9 females- the males were raised together, so it works. Otherwise they'd fight.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Rhea, for me, it depends on the age. If they are pretty young- like within a couple weeks after weaning, you can usually intoduce them all at once. If the females are older, I have better luck introducing the females to the male, one at a time, a couple days apart. It has been my experience that 2 or three females, when living together for some time, will often band together and kill any new males- especially if he is put into their cage.
I have had best success raising them together from just-weaned. I have bred 1 male with anywhere from 3 to 9 females. I would say 2-7 is ideal, in my opinion.
I actually have one colony right now with 2 males and 9 females- the males were raised together, so it works. Otherwise they'd fight.

I really thought you were talking about snakes here, until I saw the "band together and kill the male part" LOL. I sat there trying to imagine how on earth three large female garter snakes would suddenly assemble and beat a male to death! And why such an expierienced keeper would spout such nonsense about snakes.... but THEN in clicked. haha!

I think she may mean snakes though???

Rhea, were you asking about breeding snakes, or mice? LOL!

Loren
12-30-2008, 01:01 AM
HAHA, I totally misread this thread I think :) I was thinking mice. I was on another mouse thread just before this one...

infernalis
12-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I was wondering just exactly when baby snakes were weaned....

Hornets23
12-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Haha...you got me on that one too. Thats ok though, i needed the laugh.

Stefan-A
12-30-2008, 01:46 AM
HAHA, I totally misread this thread I think :) I was thinking mice. I was on another mouse thread just before this one...
People seem to discuss mice more often than garters these days, so you can never really be sure.

drache
12-30-2008, 06:07 AM
glad you guys cleared that up for me
it did sound a bit strange - now I know why

Snake lover 3-25
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
wow lol really confused!!!!:)

drache
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
well, well . . .
I think possibly something promising may be happening - not in the tank previously alluded to (pallidulus), but in another
I took my parietalis pair out of brumation a couple of days ago, because I'm tired of monitoring the sunporch
I put them in a transitional enclosure and then today in a slightly larger one together with Thing, the parietalis that had not been in brumation at all, and who just shed earlier
photos are loading and will be available shortly in the Rhea's garters etc thread

Snake lover 3-25
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
sweet!!! lets hope for lots of babies!!!:D

drache
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
oh and here is the photo appropriate to the title of this thread

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3177601188_cf3ae9cd03_b.jpg

that's all three of them