PDA

View Full Version : Cleanup team?

Zephyr
12-28-2008, 12:55 PM
So I've been throwing this idea around... Use some roaches as a cleanup team in my garter enclosures. I know species that won't climb or hurt the garters, and I can use males so there won't be any reproduction. Once they've hit their prime I can just feed them off. These would be simply for controlling garter droppings in hard to clean places as opposed to left over food.

Good or bad idea?

Stefan-A
12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't you just be swapping the garter droppings for cockroach droppings?

Zephyr
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't you just be swapping the garter droppings for cockroach droppings?Cockroach droppings = DIRT.
Essentially.

guidofatherof5
12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Google "cockroach droppings" to see some of the other negative effects. Doesn't even look like an even trade.

Zephyr
12-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Google "cockroach droppings" to see some of the other negative effects. Doesn't even look like an even trade.Most of those statements are either unfounded or downright false. The only concerns I have are whether or not the presence of the roaches would affect the snakes.

Hornets23
12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I've heard of people using isopods to clean up tarantula cages. I cant see how the roaches would be harmful to the snakes unless the snakes consistently tried to eat them.