PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the eastern US

drache
02-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi my name is Rhea and I'm glad to have landed here.

I live in Brooklyn, NY with my boyfriend, Jeff, our daughter Mikhaila and a bunch of critters:

- Plains Garters 1.1.0
- Red Sideds 1.2.0
both males - last year's babies, the females all from the year before
-An as yet unidentified Thamnophis species (not a garter) 0.0.1, picked up at local pet store a few days ago, awaiting vet visit on Monday in a quarantine enclosure.
- Peninsula Intergrade Kingsnake 1.0.0 (gotta love that new name)
- Lavender California Kingsnake 1.0.0
- Black Mexican Kingsnake 0.1.0
- Bearded Dragon 1.0.0
- Plated Lizards 1.1.0 (different sub-species though)
- Crested Gecko 1.0.0
- Gerbils 3.0.0
- Cat 1.0.0 (neutered)
- Madagascar Hissing Roaches 4.0.0
- 2 freshwater planted tropical fish tanks (33G & 20G long), with assorted Botia, Corydoras, Tetras, and miscellaneous other fish.
- various worms of course

That's it I think. I was going to write out full names with latin names in parenthesis and all that, then I realized that I have some other work to do today, and the lizards want their veggies.

I'm totally new here and still getting oriented on the site.
Also - I get really busy sometimes and disappear for a bit.

Nice meeting you all.

Rhea

Stefan-A
02-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

Cazador
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Rhea

Thanks for the introduction. It's nice to have you along. There are some folks here that are really good at identifying "unidentified" snakes. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them :(. Post a picture when you get a chance, and I'm sure somebody can help you out. Even if the vet tells you the species, it's always kind of fun to do the guessing game. Welcome to the forum,
Rick

Sid
02-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Rhea,
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sid

Thamnophis
02-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Hello Rhea, welcome here on the forum and greetings from the Netherlands.

Snaky
02-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi, Rhea, welcome from Belgium :)

ssssnakeluvr
02-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!! Post pics when you get a chance and we should be able to id the snake for you!! :D

GarterGuy
02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum. That's quite a collection you've got there. I also have a Peninsular Intergrade Kingsnake (L.g.getulus X L.g.floridana)...she's about 16yrs. old and 5.5ft. long. You'll have to post some pics of your unidentified Thanmophis you have. It's always fun playing "What snake is this?"....LOL.
Roy

drache
02-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome.
I need a better camera. Right now all I have working is the one in my phone.
I'll take a stab a description though . . .
The little snake is about 25" (ca 65cm) long and 3/8" (1cm) thick in the middle
It's a deep olive color with a belly the colour of hard-boiled egg yolk.
There are bright yellow lateral stripes, with pale olive stripes separating them from the abdominal colour.
There is no dorsal stripe although the colouring is a bit duller right along the medial dorsal line.
It also has a bit more of a neck than my garters.
Does any of this ring a bell?
I thought it might be some kind of ribbon snake, but couldn't find pics of any without dorsal stripes.
I'm working on getting a decent camera
Rhea

drache
02-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Oh Roy
My PI King is about the same size as yours, but I don't know how old he is - he's a rescue.
Rhea

GarterGuy
02-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Hmmmmm......sounds like it's time for scale counts. What is the scale count on him at about the middle of the body? How many upper labials does he have? On the lateral stripes, what scale row are the stripes in? Since there's no dorsal stripe, it doesn't sound like a ribbon, don't know the last time I saw a ribbon with out a fairly distinct dorsal stripe. Not even going to try a guess quite yet though....could be quite a few different snakes yet.
Roy

PS...Hey that's cool about you PI. I didn't know anyone who had one as big as me!:D Yeh, I only know how old mine is, 'cause I got her directly from the breeder when she was only 2weeks old and 7in. long. I always love surprising people when I say "Want to see my kingsnakes?" and I pull her out....they all expect the little Cali. kings or something I guess.:cool:

drache
02-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi everybody
I have been horribly sick with the flu and didn't make it to the vet on Monday.
In fact this is the first time I've even made it to the computer since Saturday.
My poor critters haven't gotten the first rate service they're accustomed to.
Thankfully I"d gotten some nightcrawlers on Saturday and fed the little ones.
The mystery snake refused worms, but had two largish minnows.
But the lizards are used to salad every day and they're giving me looks now, because it's been no worms since Saturday and salad only once.
I managed to give the Plateds gecko food this morning and I fed the silkworms, so they'll be gut loaded later.
I'm so glad the kings are sleeping though all this. My bigger garters are well-nourished and can go without until I'm better.
I'm gonna go lie back down now.

Gijs & Sabine
02-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Rhea, welcome to this nice forum. We hope you will get well soon:)

Spiderqwan
02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
hi im spiderqwan i am really enjoying talking on the forum and its fun to learn new things i never knew about snakes too.