PDA

View Full Version : Brumation... She wants it.

Zephyr
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, Fatty's been off food for about 2 weeks now. She was eating wriggling items with hesitance, and now she's just plain not interested. I'm wondering if I should brumate her. She definitely has the weight, but she's not quite as large as she was. Will one month do? I'd just be destroyed if she died... Can I leave her in the basement for a night, then move her to the brumation container? Her sister has lost her appetite as well; I'm thinking after she sheds I'll put her in.

adamanteus
12-18-2008, 04:12 PM
It's always scary, Kyle. But if you keep a frequent check on her, and keep the temps steady she should be okay.
A month should be enough to rekindle her appetite.

guidofatherof5
12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
In my Opinon and from what I've gathered from the forum You need about 4 weeks off food. A completely empty belly is what you are after. If she has food in her belly it will rot during brumation and kill her. Hope this helps.

Zephyr
12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
It's always scary, Kyle. But if you keep a frequent check on her, and keep the temps steady she should be okay.
A month should be enough to rekindle her appetite.
Temps are about 47 Fahrenheit. Good? And is it alright if I drop the temps to 60 for the night, then put her in?

ssssnakeluvr
12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Temps are about 47 Fahrenheit. Good? And is it alright if I drop the temps to 60 for the night, then put her in?
you want 40's to 50's....you hit the 60's and they may not brumate and keep on losing weight. I have found garters out when the weather was in the 60's. a month for non feeders is what I do, 3 months for breeders. also check on them weekly, make sure they have water, nad keep the cage dry.

jitami
12-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Guys looks like I'm in the same boat with my snakes. No one is eating anything at this point. The only even remote possibility I can think of to brumate them would be in the family fridge. Several on line sources recommend keeping your refrigerator at 37-41 degrees with 41 degrees Fahrenheit or 5 degrees Celsius being the highest you should go for food safety. Mine runs about 37. Kyle says his is about 47? Is that safe? I do have teenage boys who will eat any leftover we leave in the fridge :D Would 45 be relatively safe for food and snakes? What does everyone else do for brumation again? I know it's been covered, but how many of you out there are using your family fridge? What temp is it? Thanks. I'm totally stressed over this, but I need to get these little ones eating.

OR do you think it would be worthwhile to try worms again(they're already being offered live fish, tilapia, and pinky parts) or try assist feeding to see if they'll get going again without brumation? My concern there is that I get one small meal into them and then they still don't eat on their own... then I have to wait the 3 weeks or so after that assisted meal before brumating. Thoughts? Please? :)

Zephyr
12-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Okay guys... On Fatty... I put her here in the basement last night. It's 60-ish down here. Should I keep her here for 2-3 more days, then put her in the fridge? And her sister is in shed; Can I do the same? Before or after the shed?

Snake lover 3-25
12-20-2008, 09:59 AM
after the shed for her sister...... she may just be off feed bc of sheading??? i'd try to feed her a few times after she sheads....

Zephyr
12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Okay, I need a final decision...
Do I put her in tonight? She's at 60 now; Will she be okay with the drop to 47?

Snake lover 3-25
12-20-2008, 10:51 PM
i'd keep her at 60 for a day or 2 more.... don't want to shock her.... then again idk if you can.....??????? :confused:

jitami
12-23-2008, 09:57 AM
How's Fatty doing Kyle? Did you move her to the fridge? I'm pulling extra heat from the babies today and will gradually move them to colder and colder spots for a week or so and then into the 41-44 degree fridge... scares me, but it's the warmest I can get it and the care sheets say 40 will be fine... sigh... I do love these babies...

jitami
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
One more quick question... what type of container should I use? Something dark I take it... what size do they need? Both the adults and the babies... I'm thinking one container per pair of snakes? Thanks!

Zephyr
12-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Fatty and her two sisters are still down here. (Basement.) On Thursday I'll be putting them in the fridge for the month. Let's hope all goes well!

I don't have them in a dark container; I just have a thick sheet over it. (But thin enough that there's good air flow.)

jitami
12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
That would work... do you have all three girls together? What sized container did you go with? Obviously I'm fighting space issues with the refrigerator, but don't want to short change them either, giving them plenty of room away from the top, etc, in case there's condensation.