PDA

View Full Version : Breeding for Character

Zephyr
12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
(I'm probably going to get a lot of opposition for this, but it's only hypothetical...)
Well, I've noticed that there are a few of my garters who are a little more than just personable. There's Fatty, my best eater and who's grown the biggest in a year, and there's a new little red-sided male I got back in April who's growing like a weed. Both actively follow me at the front of their cage, will eat when in my hands, and are relaxed enough outside their cages that when I touch their tails they flick as if I were another snake. I don't believe I've trained them to do this; I never held Fatty or this red-sided when they were younger. I'm thinking this could be the first step in a small-scale domestication process. Now here's where the conflict comes in...
If I were to breed them, would this trait carry on? I know they're two different species, but I'm going for something other than color. There has to be something different in these two that other garters don't have. The goal of the breeding would be to bring out this trait and further it in a line of tame, pet garters. Of course, the same amount of care would be taken with these snakes as my checkered hybrids had. Also, I'd like to get an opinion on this before I do anything. (As of this year's projects, I'm looking at all purebreds.)

mtolypetsupply
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Plenty of other animals are bred for temperament, why not try it with garters? But why not also keep them purebred, and search for others with the same temperaments?

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-15-2008, 11:02 PM
go for the temperment thing..... but no hybrid garters, pleaseeee :rolleyes:

Stefan-A
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
No hybrids. Seriously.

GartersRock
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree. Breeding for temperament is a very important thing for many serious breeders in domesticated animals. But they still stick with purebred. Temperament is no excuse for hybridizing IMO. Wait until you get a pair of good temperament animals. THEN breed. Patience is needed here as well. ;)

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
No hybrids. Seriously.

okay well that works too :rolleyes:

i was trying to be a little softer?:o