PDA

View Full Version : internal Deseases

lestat
12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I have lost a lot of snakes recently. I put it down to stress on some as i had moved my babies around a bit and some were strugling shedding. I put them into a viv of the size i think is big enougth and not over sized. Now I have lost 2 baby Floridar Blues. Simpton's are loss of appetite. I looked into a book and saw that it could be internal parasites but i dont know where they could have come from unless it was from the fish i have gotten. My big snakes are all eating pinkies and they seem to have still got their appetites, so it is only the smaller ones.

adamanteus
12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Peter, if they're struggling to slough, it could well be a problem with low humidity. Baby snakes can dehydrate at an alarming rate. Maybe put a damp hide or some moist moss etc in there. And ensure that the water bowl is big enough.... (surface area, not depth).

lestat
12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks James.

I went to a vet today with 2 Snakes that are not eating and 3 deceased ones. Had to drive 60miles because they are the nearest.
Anyway the verdict is an internal virus, they opened up a Floridor Blue and found it's liver was infected and they are sending it for a virus Autopsy which i should have a final answer next friday though i have just had a phone call to say there is only one place that can now do it and it will cost for a full Autopsy and not just the viral which is all we need is £250.00 but if it can define the dease and keep the others alive it will be worth it.

They think it begins with An or am but that is why they were sending it off to confirm.

guidofatherof5
12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Keep us informed. Most of us at times have had unexplained deaths among our snakes. Any chance to get some answers might help us prevent them in the future. Thanks for your devotion.