PDA

View Full Version : Hasn't eaten in awhile

racheletc
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
My only garter Jake, which you'll identified as eastern (who somehow wound up in my care in LA) hasn't eaten in several weeks. Usual diet had been salmon and nightcrawlers. But hasn't taken food in about 3 weeks. Should I be trying something different? It seems like from other posts they can be hard to feed. Should I be concerned? Any recommendations?

Jake appears healthy otherwise, but restless. Sleeker and bigger since first got in June.

Rachel

ssssnakeluvr
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
it's winter time....normal for some to go into brumation on their own...if he hasn't eaten, he may ned to be cooled down for about a month....those of us that breed them, take them off feed for about 2-3 weeks and cool them down for 3 months for the winter to stimulate the breeding cycle. some snakes just go of feed on their own....my non-feeders go down for a muonth to simulate the winter brumation period...then bring them back up and they generally will start eating after that.

infernalis
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Otherwise, you may try a live minnow in the water dish...

It may or may not work, but worth a try.

racheletc
12-10-2008, 01:09 AM
I have about 50 T's, plus 2 large dogs, plus chameleons..temp in my house doesn't ever dip below 68 and humidity is always high - should I move Jake outside (remember So Cal) for a week or two?

Thanks

karlh
12-10-2008, 04:31 AM
worms if you can get hold of them.or like someone has already said a live minnow. My snakes have always taken sand eel without trouble.

olive oil
12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
I have about 50 T's, plus 2 large dogs, plus chameleons..temp in my house doesn't ever dip below 68 and humidity is always high - should I move Jake outside (remember So Cal) for a week or two?

Thanks

I have been thinking about getting a chameleon, they are so cute!
I have read they are kinda hard to keep.
Could you give me some advice?
I have a eastern she is still eating good-pinkies & cut up nightcrawlers.

jitami
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
My wild caught male does this every year... it wouldn't hurt to put him outside in socal, just bring him in if you get any sort of frost warning... but I'm guessing that isn't even really cold enough. I'm guessing your highs are usually still in the 60's? My wild caught male does this every year and gets active again and begins eating again with gusto come spring without any ill effects. Other's here have way more experience than I do, though!

Zoe, someday I want a panther chameleon :)