PDA

View Full Version : Lenght of Brumation?

guidofatherof5
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
This is my first winter I have had to Brumate any of my Radixs. I'm wondering how long do/should I leave them in the cold. I have them in a refrig. I look in on them once a day. Change the water once a week. I do a contact inspection of them once a week. The temp. is 44.5 degrees. It's my understanding that the longer they brumate the more they are at risk. For you veteran brumaters, is there a lenght I should leave them?:confused: I would like to remove them as soon as possible to lessen the risk to them. These are my 2 big breeding females. They seem to be doing fine at this point.

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
So are you breeding them? if you are and if they are healthy 3 months is good. If you just want them to eat again 2 months is good.

drache
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
you may not need to worry about 44º hurting them, unless they're already ill or weak
as I posted in another thread, I saw my anery radix male come out to get a drink of water at 35º
at 45º my pallidulus are all active and alert
on the other hand, I don't know that it's even necessary to have them brumate for any amount of time, unless you want to increase your chances of reproductive success

Sid
12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I normally burmate mine from 6 to 8 weeks and it has worked fine for me.

ssssnakeluvr
12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I brumate non-feeders for a month, breeders for 3 months