PDA

View Full Version : lonely, sick, or just sleeping?

IndigoBug1987
12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Sometimes she is very active but sometimes she just lays in her hideout with her head laying on the ground and doesn't move for HOURS. Now in a dog or cat i would think, lonely or sick. but is the snake just sleeping? Should i get another garter to keep her company?

guidofatherof5
12-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I have found with my Radixs, they like company. They act very different when they are alone. They seem more calm when they have a friend.

infernalis
12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree all of my garters are housed in pairs minimum.

They seem to really enjoy interacting with one another.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-06-2008, 10:11 PM
well, it is normal for a snake to lay under a hide and not move for hours. Snakes do not feel loneliness or other emotions like humans, dogs and cats would... but garter snakes DO enjoy company of others like themselves! And they tend to hang out in little gangs and follow each other around and do all their snaky things together :rolleyes:

The only time my garters spend time alone is while they are being quarantined. Once they get through that, I try to move them into small groups where they seem to immediately respond by feeding more readily and spending less time huddled up in a ball in the corner!

reptile3
12-07-2008, 02:52 AM
but garter snakes DO enjoy company of others like themselves! And they tend to hang out in little gangs and follow each other around and do all their snaky things together :rolleyes:

with my 2 dekayi's & one garter, they hang out quite a bit. I have noticed since the weather got cooler here in GA, the snakies are out more. I caught Brownie, trying to slide up the glass tank today! I think they want the fake tree next to their home. So tomorrow going to add a branch & some vines.

IndigoBug1987
12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I've decided to get slithers a pal. The pet shop has some on special order so it'll be a couple weeks. Unless i go to a different pet store. I dunno Slithers is pretty healthy so i think the place i got her is good. :D

Snake lover 3-25
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
so did you get the little guy yet???