PDA

View Full Version : Wayne's reptile room

Pages : [1] 2

infernalis
12-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Worked hard today, moving one step closer to where I want to be with this project.

First up is a "before" photo of some tanks stacked without any support, It was like that for a while, Didn't care for it.. Had to move everything to feed the bottom snake (Oreo the Pueblan milk) Carmella was in the 20 long until this morning.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/12tower.jpg

Changed this over to have steel shelving to support the tanks, no more moving things, and Carmella got some new digs. (She is in the wooden enclosure to the right)

The "shoe box" totes all have one baby milk each, the hex tank is "Aqua" our water snake. My daughter wants her tank back, so I will have to move him soon.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/lostroom.jpg

Next is my tower of tanks, only one houses a non Thamnophis species:D

The stack of totes are mouse colonies.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1room.jpg

The top (Wooden) enclosure was Chomper's Juvenile home, He had to move to a box twice this size a couple months ago. Carmella was quite pleased with all her extra space she has now. The tote has one of her babies in it.

The rest are Thamnophis:cool:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/2room.jpg

Dorothy is painting a jungle mural on the walls.

NetBSD
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
you just6 helped me out, that shelving is a good idea for use on my mice tanks, i use 10 gallon tanks and i could put a few on those

Zephyr
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Darn.
Nice room.
What I'd do for that kind of space. XD

infernalis
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Kyle, Thanks. I still have not turned 180 and shown the other 2 walls:D

In time, when it's closer to presentable.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1roomlabeled.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
12-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Very nice.....got lots more room???

infernalis
12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Very nice.....got lots more room???

Yep, it 18 feet by 24 feet:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/2roomLabel.jpg

reptile3
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Wow Wayne, very nice set up/room!!! I have some room, but Hubby doesn't want me to use it up with my useless pets!!* grrr that is what he said *

Tell Dorothy great job with the mural on the walls!!! I love your set up!!
thanks for sharing it with us!!:)

prattypus
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
See this is all the more reason for me to spring for a 2bd- so I can have a rep room, er office...

Hornets23
12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Its looking really awesome wayne. I'm hoping I can have a reptile room some day.

adamanteus
12-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Very nice, Wayne..... and plenty of room for more!

Sid
12-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Nice job, Wayne. Look much better and more "user friendly"

gregmonsta
12-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Nice :) good collection you have there :D

infernalis
12-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Thank you everyone... I will be doing some more work in there today.

Somehow, Work does not seem like the proper term:D

guidofatherof5
12-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Good looking setup, Wayne

olive oil
12-04-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm jealous. I have no extra space in my house:(
Very nice. Can't wait to see the rest.

mtolypetsupply
12-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Nice room! I so wish we had more space!!!!!! However, I know that we'd soon fill it up and be wishing for even more!

toff
12-04-2008, 08:04 AM
My parents would kill me if I had that many snakes. Really nice collection!

jitami
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow Wayne, very nice set up/room!!! I have some room, but Hubby doesn't want me to use it up with my useless pets!!* grrr that is what he said *

Maybe we should move our hubbies in together... just last night mine said, "I really don't like your pets." Huh? What? Right now I have the super easiest dog ever, a stupid cat who needs basically nothing, the snakes which are locked in tanks all day... I had just mentioned that I pick up the guppies today... I don't get it! :mad::(:mad:

Wayne, you're making nice progress with the room! I think a reptile room... er, um, office... yeah good one pratty... would be awesome...

infernalis
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Maybe we should move our hubbies in together... just last night mine said, "I really don't like your pets." Huh? What? Right now I have the super easiest dog ever, a stupid cat who needs basically nothing, the snakes which are locked in tanks all day... I had just mentioned that I pick up the guppies today... I don't get it! :mad::(:mad:

Wayne, you're making nice progress with the room! I think a reptile room... er, um, office... yeah good one pratty... would be awesome...

You gals should all get a venomous species and tell hubby it's just another garter, then ask him to hand feed it a pinky.

Or anyone remember "celebrity death match"??? put them in the ring with Ozzy so he can bite their heads off.

jitami
12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
You know, Wayne, I really love mine... he just confuses the hell out of me on a fairly regular basis... Monday night out of the blue he says, "let's go get the rest of your fish stuff" and off we happily go to Walmart for plants, water conditioner, etc. When the first wally world didn't have exactly what I wanted he suggested another store. I could have drug him all over town for fish stuff(I didn't) and he seemed fine with all of it. I know he just does that kind of stuff to make me happy, but then why whine about it a couple days later? Yeah, I just don't get it.

infernalis
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I was only kidding in my feeble attempt to make you smile:D:D

Smile Tami................... Please

drache
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
great room, Wayne
I want one too, or two

mtolypetsupply
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
You know, Wayne, I really love mine... he just confuses the hell out of me on a fairly regular basis... Monday night out of the blue he says, "let's go get the rest of your fish stuff" and off we happily go to Walmart for plants, water conditioner, etc. When the first wally world didn't have exactly what I wanted he suggested another store. I could have drug him all over town for fish stuff(I didn't) and he seemed fine with all of it. I know he just does that kind of stuff to make me happy, but then why whine about it a couple days later? Yeah, I just don't get it.

Tami, sometimes we get to love someone *for* who they are, ie Walmart-trip guy.
Oftentimes, however, we have to love them *despite* who they are, ie I-don't-like-your-pets guy.
;)

Snake lover 3-25
12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
nice room wayne:D can't wait to see it:D

reptile3
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Tami, sometimes we get to love someone *for* who they are, ie Walmart-trip guy.
Oftentimes, however, we have to love them *despite* who they are, ie I-don't-like-your-pets guy.
;)

my hubby came home with wax worms & super worms for my reptiles!!

Hubby found the 2 cats that i have, & the baby ig, he bought for me after Christmas!!
He says, my animals are useless - they eat fish,worms, pinkies, rats,greens, pellets, squash. It's not like they are all over the house, making a mess.
Now my cats, he can't stand one of them. She is still very skiddish. But she is super sweet. Jake is my boy, he gets jealous, but he protects me, & my kids. They get treats, eat dry cat food, & one can divided .

I think it comes down to... is that he doesn't necessarily hates them, he is JEALOUS of them!!

I told my bp george I love him.. My hubby said... HOW do you love a snake?

LOL:D

infernalis
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
nice room wayne:D can't wait to see it:D

Can't wait to give the tour:D

olive oil
12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Wish I could be there to see:(

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-04-2008, 07:11 PM
your reptile room is coming along veryyy nicely!

I will admit I have one of those metal framed shelved though and I hate it... it won't let me space the shelves for basking lights, so I have to use belly heat. Based on what I have seen lately... garter snakes prefer basking lights over belly heat 10 to 1... so I am considering utilizing building cages out of totes on the same way that kyle did!

infernalis
12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Shannon, I thought you said you heated the whole room???

infernalis
12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
The last thing a mouse will ever see.......................

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1strike.jpg

guidofatherof5
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Wayne, Hope you got out of the way! Nice photo.

infernalis
12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Thankfully, he spit the camera out after a few minutes of chewing;)

reptile3
12-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Awesome shot !!!

The last thing a mouse will ever see.......................

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1strike.jpg

infernalis
12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Never thought I'd fall in love with a Python, but Cain rules!

crzy_kevo
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
wow thats a great pic of cain Wayne and btw its about time you showed us your snake room looks good and still tons of room for more snakes :D

infernalis
12-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Had to get it just so before I'd let it be seen:D

Thanks, I took a bunch of crappy pictures and he posed special just for me.

reptile3
12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
He just opened his mouth like that?? I took over 50 pics of George, to get one of him doing something like that, or even his tongue out.. out of those 50 pics... NONE!!:rolleyes: lol Cain has Character!

Had to get it just so before I'd let it be seen:D

Thanks, I took a bunch of crappy pictures and he posed special just for me.

anji1971
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Great picture, Wayne! It's lucky when you can catch them in a pose like that at the right time.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Shannon, I thought you said you heated the whole room???

I stopped keeping it as warm as I used to... since 1) we have gas heating and its costly and 2) I can tell my snakes prefer to bask under a light.

With the rack system constantly running, the room stays at about 77 degrees. With the garters that I recently switched to basking... I put in very low wattage coil bulbs (only enough heat comes out to make one ond of the tank a bit warmer) so that theres not a huge amount of heating coming out, but theres LIGHT and they gravitate to it like you wouldn't believe. I did an "experiment with my butleri babies. They stopped eating for some reason, all 5 of them. I put them on a thermostat regulated heating pad for two weeks and I got mixed results with eating. I took away the heat and instead provided a light that provided the same temps during the daytime. All 5 of them now are eating consistently and are not nearly as suspicious of food items put in front of them. I got such a good result, I decided to try it with my baby wanderings and I got the SAME result. Therefore, I will slowly be converting as many tanks as I can to accomodate a light source whether it gives off heat or not.

crzy_kevo
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I stopped keeping it as warm as I used to... since 1) we have gas heating and its costly and 2) I can tell my snakes prefer to bask under a light.

With the rack system constantly running, the room stays at about 77 degrees. With the garters that I recently switched to basking... I put in very low wattage coil bulbs (only enough heat comes out to make one ond of the tank a bit warmer) so that theres not a huge amount of heating coming out, but theres LIGHT and they gravitate to it like you wouldn't believe. I did an "experiment with my butleri babies. They stopped eating for some reason, all 5 of them. I put them on a thermostat regulated heating pad for two weeks and I got mixed results with eating. I took away the heat and instead provided a light that provided the same temps during the daytime. All 5 of them now are eating consistently and are not nearly as suspicious of food items put in front of them. I got such a good result, I decided to try it with my baby wanderings and I got the SAME result. Therefore, I will slowly be converting as many tanks as I can to accomodate a light source whether it gives off heat or not.

well if you think about it they need the heat to help them digest and in the wild to get that heat they would sit in a sunny spot to absorb the heat so i think it is only natural that they we eat better with a light source present because they think they have a nice warm bright area to sit in.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
well if you think about it they need the heat to help them digest and in the wild to get that heat they would sit in a sunny spot to absorb the heat so i think it is only natural that they we eat better with a light source present because they think they have a nice warm bright area to sit in.

That is exactly where I was getting at with it :D

infernalis
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Bummer day in the reptile room....

Two days ago I fed my little Florida blues I got from Shannon, they ate some salmon and a half pink each.

I just went in there and thought to myself, gee these guys are usually all over the place, yet only one was "out and about"

So I lifted up the hide, and found 3 of them dead:(

The salmon went straight to the Garbage can!!!!!

I just changed the substrate and water, have my fingers crossed for the remaining snakie, they all ate from the same food that night, and they all still had their bulge in the middle from the meal.

I exceeded my grief quota for the year already, so I am rather cheesed off about it instead of sad.

jitami
12-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Wow, so sorry Wayne... you've had some horrible luck this year :(

infernalis
12-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I just found out what to hell happened.

The last one was on the brink of death, thankfully I caught it.

Sever dehydration!!

I put the poor thing in the water bowl, and it drank and drank...

I don't get it why they didn't just get a drink on their own, But I am currently scrubbing out the tank, and will be using a shallower bowl with less of a lip on it.

guidofatherof5
12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope the others will do fine. You are in our families prayers.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
oh no!!! :( that is so sad :(:(:( I hope the last one makes it for you! Having sold my last two yesterday... I only have the one male belonging to stephanie. he is eating whole newborn pinkies. I was holding back a really blue female and she passed away.

Stefan-A
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear that, Wayne. :(

jitami
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Could one of you more experienced explain the signs of dehydration for us newbs? I assume wrinkly skin... but how wrinkly... is it obviously different from when they're going into shed? What other signs? With so many instances lately it seems like good info to save in the back of my pea brain.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Could one of you more experienced explain the signs of dehydration for us newbs? I assume wrinkly skin... but how wrinkly... is it obviously different from when they're going into shed? What other signs? With so many instances lately it seems like good info to save in the back of my pea brain.

wrinkled skin or a depressed body shape, sunken eyes, little or no tongue flicking, lethargy and their head gets a look to it where they look as if if parts of it are caved in and their neck becomes very thin making their head look HUGE next to their body.

infernalis
12-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Before I begin, I'd like to thank you guys for the words, Appreciated. It's great to have people who care and share.

Shannon was typing at the same time I was, the bottom photo is a dehydrated snake... Fits her description well.

OK here is some photos, Even though the first one is my Radix tank, It's the same water bowl I have been using with many of my snakes.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1abowl.jpg

Maybe the little ones couldn't get up on it enough to drink?

Anyhow, I removed it from the cage.

Here is the "new" arrangement... The glass ash tray AND the Tupperware lid are very shallow, and even an infant Dekayi could get a drink from these bowls.

What puzzles me, the Floridas had that same water bowl now for a while?

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1ablu.jpg

I also dumped out the aspen shavings and went with carpet for now, easier to see what's going on in there.

And lastly my little survivor,

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1blue.jpg

If he's still alive, I'm gonna let him have all the live minnows he cares to eat (within reason of course) probably around supper time. (unless someone advises otherwise)

jitami
12-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much for the description Shannon and the picture Wayne! I can see what Shannon is describing, especially the head and neck, but also he just looks skinny everywhere, like his dorsal stripe/spine area seems pronounced. Since he's recently eaten I'm assuming this is also a result of the dehydration... his body sinking in below the spine... thanks again for the picture Wayne. It really does help me "see" what to watch out for.

brain
12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
you just6 helped me out, that shelving is a good idea for use on my mice tanks, i use 10 gallon tanks and i could put a few on those

Or just buid a small rack like this:rolleyes:
Michael

infernalis
12-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks so much for the description Shannon and the picture Wayne! I can see what Shannon is describing, especially the head and neck, but also he just looks skinny everywhere, like his dorsal stripe/spine area seems pronounced. Since he's recently eaten I'm assuming this is also a result of the dehydration... his body sinking in below the spine... thanks again for the picture Wayne. It really does help me "see" what to watch out for.

I remember feeding time that day, this one took a small sliver of salmon, and refused the pinky half.

I just returned from the creek, I did manage to net 3 small dace minnows, froze my hands up pretty good, got my feet wet, and it's only 15 degrees out. (dropped 3 degrees in less than an hour!)

The net kept going stiff, and the water in my bucket kept freezing up.

But hey, If I can get some food in this guy, it will have been worth it.

Loren
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
sorry about the bad day Wayne. hope things work out for the last one.

infernalis
12-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks Loren, I just put him in the water again, he took about a dozen big gulps again.

I'm letting the minnow bucket warm up before I try to give him any.

reptile3
12-07-2008, 04:09 PM
2) I can tell my snakes prefer to bask under a light.

So what kind of light bulb do you use, wattage? thanks:)

infernalis
12-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Stephanie, Use a small track light bulb.

And not with the Dekayi's, I have fluorescents for them....

Dekayi snakes come out at night when it's really cool out, they will flee the basking area and hide in the shade.

reptile3
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Wayne, I am sorry to hear about your snakes. Wow, that is terrible. I check on mine 5-6 times a day.

I am scared to loose any!! I already lost that one red sided, that tore me up!

reptile3
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Stephanie, Use a small track light bulb.

And not with the Dekayi's, I have fluorescents for them....

Oh ok, i have no light or anything right now. I will put a fluorescent light now,
maybe that is why they aren't eating much.

I did put some greenery in there, they can climb on. The dekayis have been very active lately!! gotta love'em

infernalis
12-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Scroll back up to nuber 57, I was editing when you posted.

Dekayi snakes hunt for food at night and early AM when t's very cool, dark and damp out.

reptile3
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Scroll back up to nuber 57, I was editing when you posted.

Dekayi snakes hunt for food at night and early AM when t's very cool, dark and damp out.

Ok got it.. so with no light at all, it's ok? how about the red sided in with them?

I like to keep those 3 together, since they are Buddies? thanks

infernalis
12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I keep my red sided with a fluorescent, but the whole room is 80 degrees.

The tank in my living room, the one with 2 male garters and 3 female Dekayi's I just use the aquarium hood with the fluorescent tube in it.

Had it like that for years.

adamanteus
12-07-2008, 04:46 PM
So I lifted up the hide, and found 3 of them dead:(.

Damn. So sorry about the babies, Wayne.:(

infernalis
12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Cheers mate, I'm still struggling to rehydrate the last one.

I keep going back there every few minutes and jostling on him.

It's going to be a long night.

adamanteus
12-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I keep going back there every few minutes and jostling on him.

I did that with the radix.... I just kept putting her back into the water bowl..... she drank every time!

infernalis
12-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Last couple times he seemed a little disturbed with me for plopping him in the water.

"Turn away from the light little one, it's not your time yet!"

reptile3
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I keep my red sided with a fluorescent, but the whole room is 80 degrees.

The tank in my living room, the one with 2 male garters and 3 female Dekayi's I just use the aquarium hood with the fluorescent tube in it.

Had it like that for years.

Okay that is what I have, & will use!! Thanks Alot Wayne!!!:)

infernalis
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
The little Florida blue is still alive, Minimal tongue flicking, but hanging in there.

Now on to something more posative...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/11amilk.jpg

The baby milks are already losing the maroon look to their spots.... The light parts are not so white anymore. Starting to get more of the adult colorations.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/11adk.jpg

Aundrea
12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
:eek: OMG that Milk Snake is sooo pretty. Damn I want one now LOL :eek::D

I love the last one. That is funny :D

infernalis
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Aundria, Welcome home. I missed you!

reptile3
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Is that milksnake... hmmm MINE? :D
Nice looking.... Love the last pic! FUNNY!

The little Florida blue is still alive, Minimal tongue flicking, but hanging in there.

Now on to something more posative...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/11amilk.jpg

The baby milks are already losing the maroon look to their spots.... The light parts are not so white anymore. Starting to get more of the adult colorations.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/11adk.jpg

Aundrea
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
awwwwwwwwwww thanks Wayne!!! I missed ya also. Im back for good now LOL :D

Snake lover 3-25
12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
sorry to hear about your little ones wayne:(

now i want to get home and stick all of mine in the water again..... i do it about every couple of days..... just to make sure..... have been since james had his little one get dehydrated...... with 4 it's not so much trouble and i usually give them a bath anyways.....:D
cute pics:D

infernalis
12-10-2008, 08:20 AM
The little Florida blue is doing so much better, Locked him overnight in a tote with a thin layer of water on the bottom and a small piece of reptile carpet to sit on, This morning he is all shiny and his neck is back to a normal diameter, as well his tongue is flicking at a normal rate again.

Still no interest in food. But hey that's sure to be next.

reptile3
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Wayne that is so great to hear!!!:)

The little Florida blue is doing so much better, Locked him overnight in a tote with a thin layer of water on the bottom and a small piece of reptile carpet to sit on, This morning he is all shiny and his neck is back to a normal diameter, as well his tongue is flicking at a normal rate again.

Still no interest in food. But hey that's sure to be next.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I am glad to hear one of them is going to be OKAY (hopefully)!

it's so nice to see the milks doing so great! I remember how worried you were but look how perfect they are now!!! My male looks EXACTLY like that, he's already losing his color... but my female is totally a different story... she has INTENSIFIED her red color and light borders with a few sheds... her colors are REALLY saturated, now almost raspberry red and I am hoping this trend holds up!!! If so that locality my be worth investing in a breeding project!

I can see it now...

Behind Shannon's Work Locality Eastern Milksnakes!

infernalis
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
my female is totally a different story... she has INTENSIFIED her red color and light borders with a few sheds... her colors are REALLY saturated, now almost raspberry red and I am hoping this trend holds up!!! If so that locality my be worth investing in a breeding project!

Pictures??:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Pictures??:D

I thought about that after making that post, I have not photographed her yet! I guess I have homework for tomorrow :D

infernalis
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes you do have homework...

Speaking of pictures:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/cars/carmel.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/cars/greeny.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/cars/skyeatspink.jpg

Sky was burrowing in his aspen when I got him out to eat:)

reptile3
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Great pictures Wayne, love the last one

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/cars/greeny.jpg

OMG, its a conspiracy....

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Garters/38673164.jpg

infernalis
12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no its a guppy!

infernalis
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
My favourite sweetheart Carmella left her first perfect shed for me sometime last night while I was sleeping.

All of her previous sheds have flaked off in chunks, and when I first found her the skin was so dry she made crackle noises whenever she moved.

I tried soaking her in the tub, yeah right, she shoots back out like a cat tossed into a swimming pool!

I have been keeping her in coconut fiber (eco earth) and misting frequently, even rubbing her with shed aid spray.

Last shed was close to perfect, but I still had to peel off some stuck bits from her face, and her left eye cap stayed stuck on.

This shed was flawless, so it appears that after nearly 3/4 of a year my patience (and hers) has paid off.

here she is all shiny and fresh. Both eyes perfect and pretty:)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/mella.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/mella1.jpg

count dewclaw
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
She looks great, Wayne. Good job!

infernalis
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Leann, Best she has looked yet.

reptile3
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
very nice.... Carmella is very pretty!:)

Snake lover 3-25
12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
way to go wayne!!!!!:D

Aundrea
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
awwwwwwwww Wayne she looks GREAT!!!! :D

olive oil
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
What a pretty girl! What does her tail look like?

guidofatherof5
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Great looking snake, Wayne.

infernalis
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
What a pretty girl! What does her tail look like?

Here is a picture of it.

When it fell off from the frostbite, I used silvadine cream every day while it healed. There was bone showing:(

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1tip.jpg

olive oil
12-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Poor thing, you're doing a great job nursing her back.

infernalis
12-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Thank you Zoe;)

Her bite scars are all gone too, I think we were both very lucky to have found each other.

It was 27 degrees and dropping out the night I found her, and it was only like 10:00 pm at the time.

I flipped a board looking for slugs to feed my Dekayi's and she was coiled up under the wood and not moving at all.

After I brought her in and warmed her up I expected hostility, and instead found her to be as calm as a corn snake.

The first time I fed her, it was a live mouse, she grabbed it by the back legs and the mouse turned on her. Silly girl did not know enough to let go, they struggled a bit, then I reached in the tank and conked the mouse over the head.

She eats frozen thawed mice only now:rolleyes:

reptile3
12-17-2008, 08:30 PM
that is such a great story... Carmella loves you for it!!

Do you think she was someone's pet & they either didn't want it anymore, or they lost it?

infernalis
12-17-2008, 09:30 PM
that is such a great story... Carmella loves you for it!!

Do you think she was someone's pet & they either didn't want it anymore, or they lost it?

Very much doubt it Stephanie, I live in a community of people who fear the "spotted adder" and shovel them on sight.

She is just a rare find, The population around here is "healthy" I find several every summer, but nearly all are flighty and nervous.

One of the most amusing things is they will imitate a rattle snake as self defense. I saw a baby a couple summers ago he reared up his little head, and shook his tail violently against the ground to try and scare me away.

Here is a wild photo I took in 2006 out in my back yard...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/HPIM0390.jpg

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
better yet.... every north american ratsnake, milksnake, and kingsnake are prone to vibrate their tails upon being upset!!! Oh how I just LOVE my juvenile ratsnakes and their tail shakes!!! I love walking into my snake room and hearing 4 or 5 tails start rattling at my presence :D

Carmella looks wonderfullll! what a lovely spotted adder she is! My two wee ones are very calm also! Every other I've ever met as an adult, is... well, just plain nasty! This adult female told me where to go!!!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Kings%20and%20Milks/285078.jpg

drache
12-19-2008, 05:54 AM
very nice, Wayne
you did a fine job and she's lovely

anji1971
12-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Carmella looks fabulous, Wayne. She is very lucky that it was you who found her when she needed help. Good job!:cool:

reptile3
12-19-2008, 11:02 AM
WOW!!! very nice pic

This adult female told me where to go!!!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Kings%20and%20Milks/285078.jpg

infernalis
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Now compare that face to Carmella, and you can see the difference in temperament.

That picture (Shannon took) is far more indicative of the species than Carmella.

That's why she is so special, cuz she is "Special"

Snake lover 3-25
12-19-2008, 12:37 PM
nice job wayne:D she's a cutie

infernalis
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
My little Florida Blue just ate 2 pieces of tilapia. His first meal in weeks:D

He was all up on it when offered.

Still have him in a damp box, rubbed off a shed.

If he eats again in a couple days, I'll put him back in his normal enclosure.

infernalis
12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
My Christmas bummer.

My hypermelanistic wandering - Dead.

Been struggling for a few weeks, and just as the little Florida blue turns around, the wandering died.

R.I.P.

Stefan-A
12-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear that, Wayne.

infernalis
12-25-2008, 12:55 PM
It's in the air... Odd that so many of us got the same "gift"

adamanteus
12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Damn, so sorry Wayne. What's going on this past couple of days?

infernalis
12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
At least he's not suffering anymore.

I am not overly surprised about this one....

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-25-2008, 03:05 PM
awe wayne, so sorry to hear that :(

you are now the fourth person I know to have lost a snake this christmas. what is up with that? I lost a wandering a few days ago, but it was not one of the one's from Don. He was always thinner than everyone else, only wanted to eat half the time, and he was a recluse.. never came out to sunbathe.

I am very glad that your last FL blue is doing okay now. Unfortunately, we that keep many snakes are always going to suffer more losses than those that keep one or two. The more that we have, the greater chance of incident with each individual. Unfortunately, even when we can see it coming, it does not make it easier the moment we find that it has happened.

guidofatherof5
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Seems like this Christmas has been had on the forum members. I'm counting my blessings with mine. Sorry for all the losses.

drache
12-25-2008, 05:33 PM
oh Wayne
I'm sorry
even when you see it coming a loss is still hard

anji1971
12-25-2008, 08:12 PM
So sorry, Wayne.:(
I commented on this in another thread, but I can't say it enough. I feel terrible for everyone who lost a snake this Christmas. I hope it's over now.

GartersRock
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
awe wayne, so sorry to hear that :(

you are now the fourth person I know to have lost a snake this christmas. what is up with that? I lost a wandering a few days ago, but it was not one of the one's from Don. He was always thinner than everyone else, only wanted to eat half the time, and he was a recluse.. never came out to sunbathe.

I am very glad that your last FL blue is doing okay now. Unfortunately, we that keep many snakes are always going to suffer more losses than those that keep one or two. The more that we have, the greater chance of incident with each individual. Unfortunately, even when we can see it coming, it does not make it easier the moment we find that it has happened.

That's the hard thing... Sometimes I wonder. If I didn't have SO many... I wouldn't have to suffer these losses every now and then. It does help me begin to strive more and more to keep my animals as healthy and happy as they can possibly be!

Again Wayne. So sorry.... Those where gorgeous little ones.

infernalis
12-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Well to add insult to injury, I just found a dead parietalis in the tank.

Getting ready for feeding, and one of the biggest "alpha" females was belly up.

No apparent reason except to piss me off more.

GartersRock
12-26-2008, 12:30 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ........ I have no words.............

Loren
12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
sorry Wayne.

anji1971
12-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Crap, Wayne...........too sad.:(

infernalis
12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Some good news, The little Florida blue ate (Again) a small male feeder guppy last night.

He's getting his strength back:D

I tried Tilapia at first, no interest... So I gave in and fed him a guppy, That he took with gusto!

That is only his second meal since the dehydration incident.

All the humidity in the "damp box" softened up his skin, and I rubbed off a gelatinous mess of a shed, he seems more comfortable now.

Guess I am going to put him in the bow front tank for a while now, after what this guy endured, he needs to be spoiled for a bit.

jitami
12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Ugh... I'm just speechless this morning... sorry about both of your kids Wayne :(

crzy_kevo
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
so sorry about both of your snakes wayne that sucks :(

Lori P
12-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I keep reading about losses... I'm so sorry, Wayne, and to everyone who lost snakes the last few days. It's too sad for words!

brain
12-26-2008, 02:58 PM
That is only his second meal since the dehydration incident.

I guess I didn’t find the thread on this snake.
So I'll ask?
How did you recognize he was he hydrated? I can only think that his not eating and skinny body mass?

infernalis
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Here you go Michael, it's this same thread just back a ways.

Bummer day in the reptile room....

Two days ago I fed my little Florida blues I got from Shannon, they ate some salmon and a half pink each.

I just went in there and thought to myself, gee these guys are usually all over the place, yet only one was "out and about"

So I lifted up the hide, and found 3 of them dead:(

The salmon went straight to the Garbage can!!!!!

I just changed the substrate and water, have my fingers crossed for the remaining snakie, they all ate from the same food that night, and they all still had their bulge in the middle from the meal.

I exceeded my grief quota for the year already, so I am rather cheesed off about it instead of sad.

infernalis
12-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Here is my tough little guy eating his guppy..

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/floridaguppy.jpg

And one of my red sided kids...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/redsided.jpg

mtolypetsupply
12-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Glad your little guy ate! Sorry to hear about another loss. I hope the Xmas Curse is now over.

NetBSD
12-27-2008, 07:25 AM
sorry to hear about the loss but the first image is funny, almost look liek he has is part fish, liek its an extra head

Snake lover 3-25
12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
wow mam o man.... we sure did have a few bad days here on the forum..... not a very good x-mas over all was it....:( sorry for your losses.....

infernalis
12-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone.

The little Florida is back with a vengance, he ate 4 chunks of Tilapia for me tonight.

I'm only power feeding to get his weight back up.

Here is a cute pic of "Muttley" taken tonight. The "hide" is an aquarium decoration I got for free, He likes it.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1atweek.jpg

brain
12-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Here you go Michael, it's this same thread just back a ways.
Ty and I did read this. So the only indicator of dehydreation was finding them DOA?

infernalis
12-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Well I had no idea, it was a very weird thing.

The water bowl was full, the same water bowl they have had....

The one that survived was sick for about 2 weeks, He's finally coming back for me.

I have re-thought the whole system for the survivor.

Figuring that Florida is the wettest most humid state in the union, The winter dry air must have taken it's toll.

So my sole survivor is now housed in a poly tote with the lid on, and I am using coconut fiber, kept damp to where their is condensation on the walls of the box.

His appetite has returned, and he's a spunky little snake again.

gregmonsta
12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Cheeky little Muttley pic :D

anji1971
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
So glad to hear he's perking up, Wayne. I like the name 'Muttley', too!

jitami
12-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Here is a cute pic of "Muttley" taken tonight. The "hide" is an aquarium decoration I got for free, He likes it.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1atweek.jpg

Awwww, Mutley is too cute... Frick and Frack say "HI BRO!"

infernalis
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, I was just about to explain, Muttley is the hybrid Checkered/eastern from Kyle.

Very robust, very active and cute as a button.

Reminds me so much of a checkered, the eastern influence is barely noticeable.

jitami
12-28-2008, 06:13 PM
They really are cute little characters. Glad Muttley is doing well :)

infernalis
12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Here is the reason I decided to use 12 volt LED lighting in Limons cage.

Enjoy.....

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/12volts.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/12volt.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/liimelime.jpg

guidofatherof5
12-31-2008, 05:17 PM
That snake looks like trouble Wayne. Just send him my way and I'll have a talk with him.

infernalis
12-31-2008, 05:46 PM
I think you would have to fight with a few people over that one Steve, Shannon calls him her second boyfriend..

drache
12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Wayne
sorry about you loosing another

reptile3
12-31-2008, 07:11 PM
OMG!!! Limon is sooo awesome!

What kind of snake is he?

infernalis
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Cyclophiops Major....

Here is a write up I did on this species. It is kinda sad.

R.I.P. Green snake (http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/Green.html)

Snake lover 3-25
12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
limon is cuter every time i see him wayne:)

infernalis
12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
In person next week right??

Snake lover 3-25
12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
yup sitll have to figure out what day lol mom's bad at making decisions....:p

anji1971
12-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Limon is a stunning creature. He looks like a busy one, as well!:p

drache
01-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Limon is too much - I can never look for very long
okay - I admit it - I'm covetous

infernalis
01-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks. He is a very unique animal.

reptile3
01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow what a story, & what a gorgeous snake Limon is!!!:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Limon!!!!!

::butterflies:::o

infernalis
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Sadly the little Florida blue has perished! RIP he sure put up a hell of a fight.

Try again this year......

Found him with a mouth packed full of substrate, after all this, he lost the battle after all.

Stefan-A
01-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear that, Wayne.

olive oil
01-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Awe Wayne, so sorry.

Snake lover 3-25
01-09-2009, 06:11 AM
so sorry to hear that wayne!:(

guidofatherof5
01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your lose, Wayne.

infernalis
01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I really don't get it, the little bugger made such a turn around, it's not the first time I have ever seen the mouth packed full of substrate in a carcass, any clues as to why that would happen?:mad:

Some of these snakes are as rugged as rocks, and others seem so frail....

I had a really long talk with Dorothy, and we have decided that cage carpet will be the primary liner from now on.

At least until they are bigger,

No more baby snakes in any kind of shavings, coconut or otherwise.

guidofatherof5
01-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Wayne, Substrate in the mouth may just be from an open mouth convulsion.I have had a couple do that. I don't think it caused anything more serious than what they were suffering from and wasn't a cause of death. Just my thoughts.

reptile3
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Oh Wayne, I am terribly sorry for the loss of the fl blue. He did put up a fight. Sending my condolences.

anji1971
01-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm so sorry, Wayne. It really did look hopeful for him..........:(

adamanteus
01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
So sorry to hear about the little Florida Blue, Wayne.:(

count dewclaw
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Sorry for your loss, Wayne. :(

infernalis
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone, Appreciated.

ssssnakeluvr
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
sorry for your loss!! :(

crzy_kevo
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
man another one wayne you are having some really hard times with losses :(

infernalis
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the concern. It's in the numbers.....

When you have as many baby snakes as I do, some will not make it.

Theres a dozen or more I never talked about... I only mention the ones that are particularly important/interesting or special. And ones I got from people here.

Loren
01-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry Wayne. Guess some are strong enough to survive and some arent- even in captivity.

And I agree with Steve on the bedding in the mouth- may very well of gotten in there as it passed away. Myself, I raise pretty much all juvenile snakes on paper towels just in case, at least until I think they are big enough to handle it if a little bedding is ingested.

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Awwwe, Wayne.. so sorry!!! I am terribly sad to see that they all passed :(:(:confused:

infernalis
01-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm so sorry Shannon, He was making such a come back too.

I had kept him in a small tote after the dehydration incident, Used coconut fiber eco-earth misted daily, kept his humidity way up, he got his appetite back and started gaining weight so good.

He was taking Tilapia & wee feeder guppies really well, and then I went to feed him, I opened his tote, it was like someone gut punched me what I saw.

Impressive fight he put up, toughest little fighter I have seen in a while.

infernalis
06-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Been over a year, waking this thread back up...

Fed Dewie tonight. He is a Cyclophiops Major, also known as "Giant Asian Green Snake"

Dewie was recently purchased to replace my beloved Limon who passed away last winter.

http://www.reptard.info/edits/Cyclophiops.jpg

http://www.reptard.info/edits/cyclophiopsM.jpg

http://www.reptard.info/edits/Dewie.jpg

http://www.reptard.info/edits/peekin.jpg

ConcinusMan
06-16-2010, 03:08 AM
I think you would have to fight with a few people over that one Steve, Shannon calls him her second boyfriend..

I can only hope that makes me third.:confused:

Hi Limon!!!!!

::butterflies::

I can see now that I don't stand a chance. The girl of my dreams is slithering away with her snakes. Hey wait! she's leaving with my snakes too!:mad:

Sorry for the loss, just trying to lighten the mood. Of course, I am only teasing Shannon. Nothing creepy.:p

Nafun
06-16-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm watching your progress with dewie with interest wayne. I fell in love with those snakes the first time I saw one, I just can't bring myself to get one until I'm sure I know what all they need to survive. I can't imagine a species of arboreal snake subsists entirely on earthworms in the wild, I mean, why would they ever evolve to be arboreal? I wish there was more information available about them, they're such beautiful snakes.

infernalis
06-16-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm watching your progress with dewie with interest wayne. I fell in love with those snakes the first time I saw one, I just can't bring myself to get one until I'm sure I know what all they need to survive. I can't imagine a species of arboreal snake subsists entirely on earthworms in the wild, I mean, why would they ever evolve to be arboreal? I wish there was more information available about them, they're such beautiful snakes.

So far my keeping this species alive has exceeded anyone else in the known herp forum circles.

The first and only care sheet I ever authored was for Cyclophiops Major, Since prior to my obtaining Limon no one even knew what they ate.

I got lucky because I tried garter snake food:cool:

Sorry for the loss.

Thanks Richard.

infernalis
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Mild disaster in the reptile room last night, I bumped Dewie's (Asian Green snake) glass and it exploded into a thousand little pieces.

it's tempered glass, so it flew apart like a car window.

Had to vacuum out his cage, the floor and wash out his water bowl.

Now I need to replace his glass, so the poor guy is in a small cage for now, he hates it.

drache
07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
damn!
good thing he wasn't hurt

infernalis
07-15-2010, 09:54 AM
He was up in his fake tree trying to figure out why those people were flipping out.

Thanks, I'm glad my snake is OK, I can get more glass easily enough.

Mommy2many
07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Bummer, glad he is OK!

guidofatherof5
07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Glad no one was hurt.

ConcinusMan
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Didn't happen to bump the glass with something made of ceramic did you?

infernalis
10-29-2011, 10:42 PM
current pics....

http://www.rockyroost.net/room/Swall.jpg

Center 2 tanks - garter snakes (of course)

http://www.rockyroost.net/room/Corner.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/corner.jpg

The wood is just sitting there until I clear out all the construction materials.

http://www.thamnophis.us/snakers/tanks.jpg

A corner table I made, this one has LED lighting, I left the flash off on purpose.

http://www.rockyroost.net/room/tee.jpg

Stubs!!

http://www.thamnophis.us/snakers/snakers.jpg

katach
10-29-2011, 10:46 PM
You have a wonderful set up there. I'm jealous! I wish we had the space and money for lots more reptiles! (deep sigh) Some day!

d_virginiana
10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Nice setup!

infernalis
10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks.. It's like a never ending process. Once I get Chomper in his own room, I can clear out most of another wall and get some of these tanks out of the livingroom.

katach
10-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Chomper. How is he doing? Any recent pic?

PINJOHN
10-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Wayne i look on your reptile room with envy, not just because of the creatures but for its neatness, mine is like a tip, apart from several thousand books old penpals pieces of cork bark various rocks tool kit cd's dvd's tv's computer hundreds of comics and worst of all everything of my four kids [still at home] that they cant fit in their bedroom

infernalis
10-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Chomper. How is he doing? Any recent pic?

Always....

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/chompie.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/chompie1.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/chompie2.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/chompie3.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/chompie4.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Chomptober/Chompie7.jpg

uF-wnrRheRg

YoddbTDcTjE

56a93F4DiUg

mN8akO5T3Wk

H_qnCia0Tx0

infernalis
10-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Wayne i look on your reptile room with envy, not just because of the creatures but for its neatness, mine is like a tip, apart from several thousand books old penpals pieces of cork bark various rocks tool kit cd's dvd's tv's computer hundreds of comics and worst of all everything of my four kids [still at home] that they cant fit in their bedroom

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, But I see a ruined carpet, grubby wallpaper, a bunch of cobbled together assorted stands and a few utility shelves.

I wish I had a couple thousand spare dollars to just gut that room and start over.

I would like to build another rack exactly 30 inches wide so I can make a tower of 20 longs..

guidofatherof5
10-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Always great seeing Chomper doing his thing.
Loved the swimming video.

katach
10-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Awesome photos and videos Wayne! Chomper is great!

infernalis
10-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Awesome photos and videos Wayne! Chomper is great!

Thanks.. He's getting his own room. working on it right now.

katach
10-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Very cool!

Billy_80
11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I want one.

kimbosaur
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Chomper's too cool!

infernalis
11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
This morning my water snake "Aqua" (Nerodia Sipedon) was having an aweful time shedding, and he really did not like me pulling on that old skin, took a minute, got musked on, but we finally got it all off.

Came off in tatters, so I think I need to find a way to get his humidity up.

This winter air is so dry.

EasternGirl
11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
They really don't like the help do they? Had to do the same thing with Cee Cee this time.

kibakiba
11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Ember had a hard time shedding once and seemed to enjoy having me help him. He just kind of sat there.

BUSHSNAKE
11-27-2011, 03:29 PM
This winter air is so dry.

turning on the heat in the house doesnt help much either

katach
11-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Blade to get help with the very tip of her tail this time. She didn't like it either.

EasternGirl
11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh Chantel...you have your snakes hypnotised or something...you're the snake whisperer...lol!

kibakiba
11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I'd like to think so! :D

infernalis
12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
The reptile room is getting another overhaul, Tonight I am installing the new Savannah monitor cage for Chomper.

This beast of a cage is 8 feet wide, 4 feet tall, 4 feet from front to back.

I am leaving 18-24 inches space behind it so I can work while building, and have procured a pillar jack to put in the basement underneath to keep the floor from sagging or possibly collapsing.

once the bottom is filled with dirt, it will be extremely heavy, heck the cage alone is several hundred pounds. Filled with dirt it will probably weigh in at close to a thousand pounds or more.

Back to work.. Pics to follow soon.

EasternGirl
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Wayne...I was just looking back through this thread at all of the pics since you started this thread and posted the original pics of the reptile room before I became a member a the forum...I had never seen pics of the room before...it is truly awesome...something I hope to have one day for myself! (If I can just get the family to move out so I can use their bedrooms for reptile rooms ;)). At least I got my metal shelves tonight...

infernalis
12-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Thank you Marnie. Times have really changed since the beginning of this thread.

Anyways, I was in there just now sealing the wood for Chompers cage, It has to be moisture proof so the wood will not rot. Chomper's husbandry requires a very high humidity level, and black mold could form, so I have taken all kinds of measures to ensure that his cage will be safe, and last forever.

Here is one sheet of wood half covered in Vinyl, and then fully covered in vinyl.. I am not concerned with the very edges, They are covered by the treated framing lumber.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/HD.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/done.jpg

The other end, all done.....

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/sheet2.jpg

EasternGirl
12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice...black mold is very nasty stuff...you don't want that getting in there. I think I asked you this before...how big is Chomper now? (And is that a dog in that picture...what kind of dog is that?).

infernalis
12-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Nice...black mold is very nasty stuff...you don't want that getting in there. I think I asked you this before...how big is Chomper now? (And is that a dog in that picture...what kind of dog is that?).

Chomper is 39 inches long, 11 pounds of lizard.

That's Max, one of my cockapoos. Cockapoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockapoo)

EasternGirl
12-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Wow! Chomper is almost as long as my son is tall! Yes...I have seen Cockapoos...I couldn't tell what he was from the pic...he's cute!

ConcinusMan
12-08-2011, 04:50 PM
turning on the heat in the house doesnt help much either

Boiling water helps bring up humidity. Back in the old days when we used a wood burning stove for heat, it dried the air out so badly, we had to keep water on the stove to compensate.

infernalis
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I have baseboard radiant heat, does not dry out the air nearly like forced air.

My furnace is a boiler system that pumps hot water under the floors and through radiators along the walls.

infernalis
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Man, doing labour in that sweltering reptile room has me dripping in sweat!

Here is the bottom, complete and in place, The bottom alone is so heavy it takes 2 people to even move it.

The entire inside where dirt goes is paved in aluminum with vinyl underneath.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/bottom.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/Bflip.jpg

I decided to cinch things down even tighter and stronger.. With heavy duty carriage bolts. A carriage bolt (for those who don't know hardware) is a special bolt that cannot be removed or loosened from the front, as there is no head or screwdriver notches. The smooth side faces inside the cage, Chomper cannot work them loose, ever. Not even if he had wrenches and could use them.

Double insurance, Nylock nuts.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/bolts.jpg

The back wall is nearly complete.. The red lines represent the 4 more short boards I need to cut, This will also be bolted together, no nails, no weak decking screw, just big carriage bolts for strength and security. All hardware is galvanized (anti rust) steel. Again, Vinyl will be applied to the exposed wood to keep the humidity and moist dirt from touching anything un-treated.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/wall.jpg

EasternGirl
12-08-2011, 10:12 PM
That's awesome Wayne...I wish I could build stuff like that.

infernalis
12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
That's awesome Wayne...I wish I could build stuff like that.

Thanks, I have to make it strong, it will have enough clay soil in it that I got some support jacks to install in my basement to keep the floor from caving in.

Savannah monitors are little digging machines, and all that moist clay will be like wet cement.

EasternGirl
12-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I told my mother about King Chomper tonight...I think she is now afraid that I will next bring home a giant lizard. Ha ha ha...:cool:. Or perhaps a giant snapping turtle...guess I happened to mention Tank too...;). The family better start packing their stuff...heh heh...

infernalis
12-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Dorothy just helped me put the back on..

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/frame.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/endz.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/posts.jpg

Insulation to keep heating costs down...

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/roof.jpg

Running out of daylight, so I drove out back.... I have not sifted, cleaned or otherwise with this dirt. Notice the profound lack of rocks in it?

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/dirt.jpg

Support columns to keep my reptile room from caving in. The cage + dirt weighs in at over a ton.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/jacks.jpg

PINJOHN
12-16-2011, 06:57 AM
WOW!!!! did the ancient Egyptians have you as a consultant for the pyramids :eek:

EasternGirl
12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Looking very good Wayne....you can come and build a house for me now.

infernalis
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the comments.

The code enforcement officer, Inspector Chomper had to look things over..

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/chompbox.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/Chbox1.jpg

Once Inspector Chomper said it was OK to proceed, I went back to work.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/cieling.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/topie.jpg

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/cielin.jpg

infernalis
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Once I got the ceiling installed, I sealed up the gaps.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/glue.jpg

Then I installed all the insulation except where I need to wire it for lights.

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/insulate.jpg

Then installed the hooks to support the lights

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/hooks.jpg

Drilled holes for the wires..

http://www.rockyroost.us/Enclosure/holes.jpg

Now I am taking a break.

Next step, electrical wiring and framing in the front to accomidate the shower door, then fill up the bottom with dirt.

EasternGirl
12-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Well Chomper looks like he feels much better! His home is looking good!

infernalis
12-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks Marnie. He's slowly coming around.

ConcinusMan
12-19-2011, 01:15 PM
WOW!!!! did the ancient Egyptians have you as a consultant for the pyramids :eek:

The scary thing is... They did!:p (old fart joke)

RedSidedSPR
12-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Lookin' good Wayne!

infernalis
01-25-2012, 09:38 AM
As of yesterday Chomper was laid to rest, he lost the battle.

His illness was a case of terminal gout brought on by long term low level dehydration.

The blood work was done and his uric acid levels were off the charts.

He will be missed.

guidofatherof5
01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Chomper was an awesome member of your family and gave great joy to so many.

snakehill
01-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Oh no!! Wayne I am so sorry! We love you Chomper! You will be missed!!! RIP buddy!:(:(:(

kibakiba
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Oh no. Rest in peace, Chomper. :(

PINJOHN
01-25-2012, 10:26 AM
This really is a bad news week on the site, first Steve's terrible news and now this, i really am upset at this guys demise he was a character in his own right and I like many more i suspect, was looking forward to many reports on his adventures both out and about and within his new palace
so sorry Wayne

EasternGirl
01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh my gosh...Wayne...I just read this and I can't believe it. I am in tears. I refuse to believe it. The Chomps. There are just no words. I can't begin to imagine what you and Dorothy are going through right now. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. You guys are in my prayers. Rest in peace Chomper...you will be missed dearly.

chris-uk
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Really bad news. Not much anyone can say really. :(

pauleve
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
sorry for your loss mate :(

Stefan-A
01-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hear it, Wayne.

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
awwww no... not Chomper too! :( So sorry.... what a tough loss to take... I too, just lost my own rescued savannah Fluffy last week... it was not easy to walk in and find my Fluffernutter curled up in the corner... but I knew his time with me would be short, due to the SEVERE neglect his previous owner had put him through... he was only with us for a little over a year.

RedSidedSPR
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
i dont know what to say. Sorry Wayne, Chomper was awesome R.I.P.

infernalis
01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Two good things came from this..

My faith in humanity went up when forum members from ssnakess secretly purchased a baby Savannah monitor that ships out Monday.

All I have to do is call the vendor tomorrow (well later today, since it is 1:00am) and make my selection, everything is all paid for.

The other is, I am writing up a data sheet regarding low level long term dehydration and how it elevates uric acid levels and disrupts body chemistry in reptiles, Working with 2 herp specialists veterinarians, this information will help save the lives of many animals that are kept in less than adequate conditions.

Tropical reptiles that require elevated humidity levels of 50%-80% and higher may appear to be thriving when kept at lower humidity levels, and the truth is their body chemistry is disrupted, uric acid levels elevate and organs shut down.

In the case of Varanus (Monitor Lizards) they are such rugged animals that symptoms take years to manifest, and by the time a full fledged case of gout sets in, it's too late to reverse the damage.

One day they appear fine, the next they are dead.

This may also be the case of what is going on with the Cyclophiops Major, no one has been able to get one to stay alive past a year.

I am eager now to purchase another and try keeping it in a more tropical rain forest type environment and see if it lasts longer.

It only makes sense that if these snakes live just fine in the jungle, then something in captive husbandry needs to change, otherwise every single specimen sold in the pet trade is doomed to live roughly a year from the time they touch down on US soil.

EasternGirl
01-27-2012, 01:22 AM
I think that is amazing what the forum members did for you...my faith in humanity just went up a little too. Wonderful people. Great data sheet you are writing up...that information definitely needs to be out there to help people provide the best care for these reptiles. Looking forward to seeing pics of the new little monitor when he arrives.

chris-uk
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Two good things came from this..

My faith in humanity went up when forum members from ssnakess secretly purchased a baby Savannah monitor that ships out Monday.

All I have to do is call the vendor tomorrow (well later today, since it is 1:00am) and make my selection, everything is all paid for.

Indeed, that does help restore faith in human nature. What goes around, comes around. And you strike me as being a decent chap (of course one of my favourite old sayings is "On the internet nobody knows you're a dog", hence I used "you strike me as being" because I could meet you for real and you turn out to be a bit of a <insert descriptive here>, but I doubt that would be the case. Am I rambling? :) ). Anyway, nice people on ssnakess, I may have to pop over there more often.

It only makes sense that if these snakes live just fine in the jungle, then something in captive husbandry needs to change, otherwise every single specimen sold in the pet trade is doomed to live roughly a year from the time they touch down on US soil.

If an animal is taken from a jungle it should be kept in the same sort of conditions. Some will survive in conditions close to their natural environment, others are obviously more sensitive. I hope your datasheet helps to identify ways to improve captive survival rates.
Do you have uric acid test kit? Is it something you'd want to monitor in the future? Although without a bit more research I don't know whether a test kit for humans will work on reptilian blood, I would assume the chemistry is the same though.

Stefan-A
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
What goes around, comes around.
If only that were true.

Selkielass
01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
So sorry to hear about Chompers passing. I enjoyed his story.
The story of his replacemnt is touching too. Thanks for the info.

infernalis
01-27-2012, 07:41 PM
What goes around, comes around.

If only that were true.

Agreed with Stefan there.

you strike me as being a decent chap.

Although I have always tried, maybe tried too hard at times, not tried hard enough others.

however I have been an idiot before, and will probably be an idiot again, I have never intentionally meant anyone any harm

.. To err is human, and I can ramble too ;)

infernalis
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Do you have uric acid test kit? Is it something you'd want to monitor in the future? Although without a bit more research I don't know whether a test kit for humans will work on reptilian blood, I would assume the chemistry is the same though.

The chemistry is nowhere near the same, and it requires a veterinarian laboratory test.

During Chompers Illness, I became very proficient at using hypodermic needles, and what is where on his body.

So if I do my own blood draw, it's $60.00 for the lab work.

However, this is not guesswork, This is history repeating itself sadly, over and over.

I did not come to this conclusion myself, scientific data, lab work and similar experiences from other ill informed keepers is what brought me to this.

After witnessing the horrific ending with my own eyes I cannot help but feel compelled to try and get at least some of those other people who insist on keeping animals who's physiology is geared for tropical climates as common house pets.

Every day I see posts on other forums from people who are proudly showing off their "healthy, Vibrant" monitors running around free in their homes, or housing them in large aquariums with screen top covers, home made boxes with way too much ventilation, and NO digital hygrometer to keep track of humidity.

The end results are always and very consistently the same, low level long term dehydration leading to terminal gout.

And since the symptoms take years to manifest, no one wants to hear it, I know I didn't.. I was a stubborn fool who thought that people were blowing smoke up my arse, but in the end, they were right on target.

I took pictures of Chomper during his final hours of life, when compared to photographs from just a couple days earlier, the difference is astounding.

guidofatherof5
01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I am so glad you got another one on the way.
The circumstances surrounding that speaks volumes to how you have helped other.
You deserve and have earned what you've got coming ;)

EasternGirl
01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I am now going to have the experience of administering medication through injections to a reptile. Cee Cee has a repiratory infection and I have to give her injections at home. The vet techs at the reptile vet specialist I took her to are going to show me how to do it tomorrow.

infernalis
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
So I went out back, raked up some leaves, scooped up more clay, did some wiring, gathered up some drain pipe, and have been keeping busy getting things set up for Tuesday when Littlefoot moves in.

I installed a 4 foot UVB light, the frame is from an aquarium light hood, so the humidity will not hurt it, I also used a cord from a Christmas light string with the tiny fuse in the plug so that if anything goes wrong the fuse will blow quickly...

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/tube.jpg

I also installed two other lights, removing one of the basking lamps for now, since I will not need so much basking area for a while.

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/bulbs.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/end.jpg

By keeping the GFI out of the enclosure, it will not trip unnecessarily.

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/GFI.jpg

While I am at it, first coat of the sealer I am using. The exposed wood (Non treated plywood) started growing mold on it, so I sanded off all the mold, and am sealing it. I will be using about 4 coats of it, I have 3 days for it to dry, and it's acrylic based, so non toxic.

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/sealer.jpg

Some day I would love to build another 4 foot by 8 foot enclosure, fill it with plants and let some garters loose in it..

guidofatherof5
01-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Looking good Wayne.

infernalis
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks Steve.. Have to go apply the second coat of sealer. Have a great night.:D

EasternGirl
01-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Looks great Wayne...looking forward to seeing pics of Littlefoot!

kibakiba
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
I cant wait to meet Littlefoot!

infernalis
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Day 2 of sealing the wood... I also caulked all the cracks shut with hot melt glue.

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal1.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal2.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal3.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal4.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal5.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/seal6.jpg

katach
01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
My heart just sank as I read about Chomper. I'm so sorry. I have tears in my eyes. My thoughts are with you and your family. I can't wait to meet the new addition. I hope Littlefoot brings you much joy.

infernalis
01-30-2012, 01:05 AM
My heart just sank as I read about Chomper. I'm so sorry. I have tears in my eyes. My thoughts are with you and your family. I can't wait to meet the new addition. I hope Littlefoot brings you much joy.

Thank you so much.. I never had feelings for a reptile before him. Not the same as a snake, not even close.

chris-uk
01-30-2012, 04:40 AM
First thing I thought when I saw those sealing photos - "battleship grey". I like battleship grey.

BLUESIRTALIS
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Wayne sorry to hear about chomper.

infernalis
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
All ready for the little guy to arrive..

http://www.chompersite.com/husbandry/doneseal.jpg

I buried some drain pipe hides.. they have dirt on the bottom for a natural floor.
http://www.chompersite.com/LF/mouth.jpg

I dumped in some forest floor.

http://www.chompersite.com/LF/leaf.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/LF/1.jpg

http://www.chompersite.com/LF/2.jpg

And made a basking platform with a ramp, he can hide under it or sit on it.

http://www.chompersite.com/LF/platform.jpg

guidofatherof5
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
♫Well, we're mov'in on up.....♫

Looks very good Wayne.
Looking forward to see its new inhabitant.