PDA

View Full Version : Crusty Vent?

guidofatherof5
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
It doesn't happen very often, maybe 3 times out of the last 150 radixs I've raised. Once in a while I will get a snake with a crusty vent. It looks like a scab around that area. The first case I ever saw was with our snake Lucky. We took her to the Vet, he said it was common and called it an abscess. He said, in the wild in would usually heal after it was scraped off on something. It was treated with Silvadene cream and after a month of treatment it healed without any further problems. In one of my groups(28 Radixs-6 months old)I have a snake with this same problem. I was wondering if anyone else has faced this problem. Any ideas on possible causes or prevention. I don't see it as a huge problem but want to avoid it if possible. I don't have any photos since I've already started treatment and have removed the scab area as the Vet did. Thanks for your help.

reptile3
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I hope someone can help you Steve, I have no idea! When you & the Vet removed the scab did it ooze or bleed? Just curious.

infernalis
12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Nope, I have never seen this Steve:(

Good luck with it.

guidofatherof5
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I hope someone can help you Steve, I have no idea! When you & the Vet removed the scab did it ooze or bleed? Just curious.

There was bleeding. Not a lot but some. No oozing. Lucky wasn't very happy and appeared to feel pain. The bleeding stopped after a few minutes as did my daughter tears. It was a great learning experience for her. She was the one who keep the treatment up until Lucky was healed. A good description of the problem would be a dirty vent. If you've ever taken care of a baby bird then you'll know what I'm talking about.

adamanteus
12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I have seen it before, Steve, but never in my snakes....
I always presumed it was through a lack of humidity. I really don't know.

guidofatherof5
12-03-2008, 05:21 AM
I have seen it before, Steve, but never in my snakes....
I always presumed it was through a lack of humidity. I really don't know.

Humidity shouldn't be a problem here. If it were, I think it would effect more than 1 out of 90. Thanks for the suggestion.

guidofatherof5
12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
*Update* 6 days after twice a day treatments of Silver Sulfadiazine and "Perry"(as my daughter Molly named him) is almost completely healed. That stuff works wonders! Happy snake! Happy owner! Happy days!

adamanteus
12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
That's great news, Steve!:)
Good choice of 'daughter name'!:D

infernalis
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
That's great news, Steve!:)
Good choice of 'daughter name'!:D

Your biased:D

adamanteus
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Your biased:D

Actually, I think Steve and I are twins, separated at birth...... daughters named Molly, favourite Garter is radix....... Steve, are you bald?:D:rolleyes:

guidofatherof5
12-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Is the que ball white?:rolleyes: Remember, I told you my Father(maybe our Father) was stationed in Machester during WWII:)

infernalis
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Here is my tube of miracle creme...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1ssd.jpg

Like american express, don't raise garters without it.:D

guidofatherof5
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
10% wow, Wayne. That's the good stuff. Silver Sufadiazine envy!

infernalis
12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Infections clear out fast!:D

My Puget had 2 "Zits" oozing pus, one week of this on them and he was as good as new.

reptile3
12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear that Perry is doing well!!!! YAY!