PDA

View Full Version : water supply

NetBSD
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
maybe im just lost in the clouds here but...

is tap water safe for snakes? i mean it has all those chemicals in it. locally we have a road called "Snake Road" and there is a fresh water spring that everyone gets water from so i could give my snakes this.

what do you guys think?

Lori P
12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Good point. I have well water so never considered it.

I think you should get a pic of the street sign for Snake Road!! Too cool!

Garter_Gertie
12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I use tap. I do keep it in a purchased water bottle and let the chlorine evaporate. But in a pinch I've used water directly outta the tap, too.

(shrugs shoulders)

Both seem to be okay here.

guidofatherof5
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
:)I use softened water and haven't had any problems. My snakes did tell me that after they shower they don't feel like they got all the soap off.:)

reptile3
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
i use my tap water...(we have city water)

infernalis
12-01-2008, 08:25 PM
This subject came up once before.

I never gave it consideration, we have a well.

My thoughts would be what the heck, they sell distilled spring water for a buck a gallon. Guaranteed nothing to worry about, cheap piece of mind.

If you are using it exclusively in a water bowl, one jug will last forever.

Seere121
12-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Personally I don't trust city water with chlorine in it. All my snakes get bottled water and all I drink is Coke.

NetBSD
12-02-2008, 03:33 AM
i think im gunna stop using tap water, the more i think of it i remember why i dont drink it, tastes like crap! lol

gregmonsta
12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
I've been using tap water with calcimise and reptasol added at trace amounts. Been using tap water since I started in the hobby and never a problem :)

Sid
12-02-2008, 04:45 AM
I use tap water too, but keep it in gallon containers and allow it to sit and so the clorine is gone before use.

drache
12-02-2008, 05:22 AM
I've got one of those large brita filters
NYC tap water is pretty good to begin with, but the filter gives it that extra polish

adamanteus
12-02-2008, 05:43 AM
I've always used tap water. Never had a problem.

Sputnik
12-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I also use tap water, though I usually run it through the water filter first.

Stefan-A
12-02-2008, 07:31 AM
I use tap water, straight from the tap.

There's normally no need to add any chemicals to our water, it's actually cleaner than bottled water.

infernalis
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I use tap water, straight from the tap.

There's normally no need to add any chemicals to our water, it's actually cleaner than bottled water.

Nice, isn't it:)

jitami
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
This subject came up once before.

:rolleyes:Hmmmm... wonder who brought it up before:rolleyes::p:D

When I brought it up before it was generally accepted that tap water was safe and I switched from storing a couple gallons under the sink to let the chlorine dissipate to using straight tap water with no ill effects to the snakes :) I still think it couldn't hurt to let the water sit or to filter it, but they seem fine with tap water.

Stefan-A
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice, isn't it:)
It certainly is. Of course most people here take it for granted.

infernalis
12-02-2008, 09:30 AM
It certainly is. Of course most people here take it for granted.

I must confess Stefan, I took the water here for granted for many years.

Then I moved away for a while, and had the "pleasure" of sampling some city water that came out of the faucet cloudy, smelled funny and tasted bad.

One time I asked a DEC (environmental police) officer why the stream behind my house was so tightly protected, his reply was "You can kneel down and drink from an open waterway, almost unheard of anymore, so we work hard to keep it that way"

The stream feeds from the same watershed as our well.....

prattypus
12-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I give my collection red bull and vodka. Helps them brumate, and makes the colors shine!

NetBSD
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I give my collection red bull and vodka. Helps them brumate, and makes the colors shine!

so thats what im doing wrong, i was giving them jagerbombs

prattypus
12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
so thats what im doing wrong, i was giving them jagerbombs

Those are reserved for me.

Loren
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I use filtered drinking water, get my 5 gallon jugs refilled at save mart for .29$ per gallon. A 5 gallon container lasts for a couple weeks even with a large collection of smaller snakes. The biggest benefit for me is that filtered water does not leave any deposits. My cheap clear plastic bowls clean perfect every time with just my 2 fingers under a faucet.
And, if you fill your mister bottle with it, it will not leave any waterstains on your glass. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

(Hopefully)not having to worry about the health aspect is just a bonus for me.

adamanteus
12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
If you fill your mister bottle with it, it will not leave any waterstains on your glass.

That's one well worth bearing in mind in the future.:)

Stefan-A
12-07-2008, 02:07 PM
So here I am, boiling water again. :rolleyes: Apparently they found Enterococcus bacteria in the tap water.

infernalis
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
That sucks...

NetBSD
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
So here I am, boiling water again. :rolleyes: Apparently they found Enterococcus bacteria in the tap water.

i used to have to boil my water almost once a month in my old town, constant water main issues.